Eclipse from 4241'

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Eclipse from 4241'

Post by skiadikt »

buckethead wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 14:22 yes. perfect weather, and somehow on a day that warned of mega crowds, MRG felt very much off the beaten path.
loved that the mountain catered to the desire to be up top for the event.
how were the lift lines at mrg? tried to get a ticket but they were sold out. went to da bush instead and that rocked.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

10:43am - the line for my 2nd run
10:43am - the line for my 2nd run
IMG_6406.jpeg (638.69 KiB) Viewed 601 times
^^ they were mild. scored third chair, braced for the mass influx...that never came. it was mostly ski-on all day.
their page for the event recommended car pooling and prohibited overnite parking. i'm guessing they may have sold less tix than a normal day?
i noticed friday that there was no discount for monday, so grabbed one right away. all thd more glad i did.
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

buckethead wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 14:31 IMG_6406.jpeg^^ they were mild. scored third chair, braced for the mass influx...that never came. it was mostly ski-on all day.
their page for the event recommended car pooling and prohibited overnite parking. i'm guessing they may have sold less tix than a normal day?
i noticed friday that there was no discount for monday, so grabbed one right away. all thd more glad i did.
Went back to the car around 12:00 to ditch the coat. Parking was less than 75% full. Most uncrowded relaxed place to have been for that day.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

yup ditched a layer around that time too. was a scorcher until 15-20 mins before totality when it got pretty chilly.
layer went back on for post-eclipse runs.

it was indeed relaxed and uncrowded. i had prepared myself for 45 minute liftlines. it turned out to be such an easy day.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

ozzy wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 09:16 12:50. The words of moose, and many others echoed through my brain. Totality is so close, i should probably go for it. Could leave right now and be to Sugarbush or at least Warren where there's a small window, but at least full totality. Last thing I want is to be on 100N in north Rochester before the Granvville Gulch at like 2:50. I have a full tank of gas so lets hit the road. Time to hammer down.
So glad I got to witness the totality. Worth every second of getting there.
Hard to imagine my 'seize the moment' powder day buddy not making it to the celestial event of our time. We found a small riverside park off a small street in a small town and were in the 3:30 duration zone. Like nothing I've seen. Totally worth it. For us on the way home it was well over an hour from Warren to Rochester. Then it opened up. No one cared about the traffic, we had gotten what we came for.
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

Got some great pics emailed from the pro photographer shooting next to me, but cannot remember how to post them here
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

buckethead wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 17:24 yup ditched a layer around that time too. was a scorcher until 15-20 mins before totality when it got pretty chilly.
layer went back on for post-eclipse runs.

it was indeed relaxed and uncrowded. i had prepared myself for 45 minute liftlines. it turned out to be such an easy day.
surprised to hear this. had tried to buy a lift ticket on-line friday nite for eclipse day and the website said they were sold out. having heard that, thought just as well because if they were indeed sold out, suspected the line to ride the single would be huge. apparently that wasn't the case. though more crowded, nonetheless had an incredible ski day and eclipse experience at the da bush. no regrets.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

i was surprised myself when there!
i got out the door later than planned, and STILL arrived 1 hour before 1st chair. i hit very little traffic on the up.
expected the usual long line for run#2 but that was wgat i encountered in pic above!

looking back, i had actually purchased my ticket on weds morning...again, the lack of any discounted tix left had me thinking i'd better jump! they *must* have reduced the number of tix sold for monday. there were a couple of 10minute waits before lunch hour - and then ski-on lifts the rest of the day.

but yes, regardless of where one skiied in the MRV, it was a beautifully warm day on the previous days' dump, and the totality was something else!
Attachments
from MRG email
from MRG email
IMG_6518.png (1016.11 KiB) Viewed 254 times
catamount bowl just pre-totality
catamount bowl just pre-totality
IMG_6457.jpeg (630.22 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

I talked to a guy who watched it from the top of the Motor Room Bar. Not totality, but he said they could see the shadow moving across the landscape. Not a bad location choice.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.