What it's like to be a Killington customer....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: What it's like to be a Killington customer....

Post by snoloco »

When trying to open this early you are always taking a risk that you will start snowmaking and not get the temps needed to open, or that it will r*in all next week and wash it all down the mountain. They made an honest effort to open this week or over the weekend, and they would have if they just had a little more time to blow at the bottom of the chair. It would have looked really bad if they didn't make any snow during this window yet it ended up being cold enough to open had they made snow.

If you wondered why other mountains wait till Thanksgiving to open, its because that is when temps finally start being consistent enough to get open and stay open with little but not quite zero chance of needing to close down and start over again.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:When trying to open this early you are always taking a risk that you will start snowmaking and not get the temps needed to open, or that it will r*in all next week and wash it all down the mountain. They made an honest effort to open this week or over the weekend, and they would have if they just had a little more time to blow at the bottom of the chair. It would have looked really bad if they didn't make any snow during this window yet it ended up being cold enough to open had they made snow.

If you wondered why other mountains wait till Thanksgiving to open, its because that is when temps finally start being consistent enough to get open and stay open with little but not quite zero chance of needing to close down and start over again.

No, you're just making excuses. Most years they get a solid window of 12 to 24 hours where they can make enough snow at SOMEWHAT reasonable temps, to open. There's no "risk" or unanticipated outcomes at play here. They made snow EXPENSIVELY and VERY INEFFICIENTLY for 36+ hours in GARBAGE conditions...........it's absolutely not a surprise at all they couldn't open.

I TOLD YOU SO.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

And when they had those short windows with colder temps there was just as much of a chance of it washing down the hill the next week after it warmed up which is exactly what happened almost every year before the peak stairway, and happened in 2012 and 2015.

I don't think Mike is stupid and he would not make snow for 36 hours in these temps unless he thought there was a chance of opening. He took a chance of making snow and opening and it didn't work out. He did the best he could given the conditions and you should be glad they tried.

As I said earlier if you don't like it, ski another mountain that opens when the rest of them do.

And there's no need to say "I told you so" in all bold and caps because I've said multiple times I didn't think they would open.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Highway Star wrote:
snoloco wrote:When trying to open this early you are always taking a risk that you will start snowmaking and not get the temps needed to open, or that it will r*in all next week and wash it all down the mountain. They made an honest effort to open this week or over the weekend, and they would have if they just had a little more time to blow at the bottom of the chair. It would have looked really bad if they didn't make any snow during this window yet it ended up being cold enough to open had they made snow.

No, you're just making excuses. Most years they get a solid window of 12 to 24 hours where they can make enough snow at SOMEWHAT reasonable temps, to open. There's no "risk" or unanticipated outcomes at play here. They made snow EXPENSIVELY and VERY INEFFICIENTLY for 36+ hours in GARBAGE conditions...........it's absolutely not a surprise at all they couldn't open.

I TOLD YOU SO.
they gave it their best shot and it didn't happen. there've been a number of times when they've made the snow and opened only to close a few day later or not opened at all. it's part of the brand. and some of that snow should stick around even through the warmup so it will give them a bit of a head start when we get the next window. and though it should probably not matter to them, the chorus of complaints (yourself included) if they didn't make snow would have been deafening. and yeah maybe making a good show of it at this point for the world cup folks was a factor.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiadikt wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

I TOLD YOU SO.
they gave it their best shot and it didn't happen. there've been a number of times when they've made the snow and opened only to close a few day later or not opened at all. it's part of the brand. and some of that snow should stick around even through the warmup so it will give them a bit of a head start when we get the next window. and though it should probably not matter to them, the chorus of complaints (yourself included) if they didn't make snow would have been deafening. and yeah maybe making a good show of it at this point for the world cup folks was a factor.
Nope. Prior to the World Cup coming they wouldn't have tried to make snow for nearly 2 days straight with temps in the 30's. NEVER.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

And they did this when trying to restart the season in November 2015 so...
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:And when they had those short windows with colder temps there was just as much of a chance of it washing down the hill the next week after it warmed up which is exactly what happened almost every year before the peak stairway, and happened in 2012 and 2015.

I don't think Mike is stupid and he would not make snow for 36 hours in these temps unless he thought there was a chance of opening. He took a chance of making snow and opening and it didn't work out. He did the best he could given the conditions and you should be glad they tried.

As I said earlier if you don't like it, ski another mountain that opens when the rest of them do.

And there's no need to say "I told you so" in all bold and caps because I've said multiple times I didn't think they would open.
Dude. You're tying yourself in knots to try to justify their strategy here. Have you looked at the weather?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 1644672914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's one thing to make 20 acre feet @ $1k/per acre ft ($20K), open for a weekend, then shut down. NORMAL OPENING SENARIO.

It's an entirely different situation to make 15 acre feet @ $5K per ($75K), then have it all melt THE NEXT DAY FROM 50F+ TEMPS AND r*in YOU SAW WAS COMING IN THE FORECAST.

They are making poor decisions and acting irrationally because of the World Cup.
Last edited by Highway Star on Nov 1st, '17, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

skiadikt wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

I TOLD YOU SO.
Snow on North Ridge at elevation above the top of Superstar makes sense in the fact that not blowing had too much potential for negative feedback, that there was a reasonable possibility production could support a mid-week pass-holder-only open-then-close, and that some snow on the upper half of Rime and Reason has a legitimate chance of surviving the short warm up (heavy wind producing localized evaporative cooling effects, heavy sky/cloud cover limiting solar energy, aspect and elevation, and only about a quarter inch of r*in over 2 days).

Snow below GN will be mostly wasted...but I give K the credit for making the push...Beast that they are :twisted: ... thanks for thinking of us.

The snow on Supe was promotion snow for the World Cup, and never had any hope of sticking around. I'm guessing that's already included in the world cup promo snow budget and didn't come from pass holders pockets. What was it...6 guns? Pfft.
ImageImageImageImage
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Highway turd is just mad because they wont sell him a pass or allow him on the property.
Attachments
Copy of HS.jpg
Copy of HS.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 243 times
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Highway Star wrote:
snoloco wrote:And when they had those short windows with colder temps there was just as much of a chance of it washing down the hill the next week after it warmed up which is exactly what happened almost every year before the peak stairway, and happened in 2012 and 2015.

Dude. You're tying yourself in knots to try to justify their strategy here. Have you looked at the weather?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 1644672914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's one thing to make 20 acre feet @ $1k/per acre ft ($20K), open for a weekend, then shut down. NORMAL OPENING SENARIO.

It's an entirely different situation to make 15 acre feet @ $5K per ($75K), then have it all melt THE NEXT DAY FROM 50F+ TEMPS AND r*in YOU SAW WAS COMING IN THE FORECAST.

They are making poor decisions and acting irrationally because of the World Cup.
I don't need to "tie myself in knots" to justify their strategy. It's really quite simple.

Option 1: Blow snow in the borderline temps you have, hoping that you're able to pull off some kind of opening and it will last through the warmth to the weekend. If successful, be the first resort to open in the east and get great publicity for it. If it doesn't work out then you wasted some money, but at least you tried and it's easy to say that the weather prevented an opening. Show FIS officials that you are trying as hard as you can to make the World Cup happen so they give you a chance and don't cancel.

Option 2: Don't blow snow and get torn to shreds on social media for not doing it whether you would've been able to open or not, only to possibly find out in the end that temps were colder than forecasted and you could have opened. Also make the FIS worried that you're not committed to holding the World Cup and they cancel it early.

Also where did you get those numbers for the costs from?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

ANGUS wrote:Highway turd is just mad because they wont sell him a pass or allow him on the property.
I'll be thinking about you cupcake when I'm ripping the heck out of Stowe and Vail this year for the low price of $859. :violin

"Wow, that idiot on K-zone sure is a sucker."

Oh, and seriously, you need to somehow get an actual picture of me. I'm not nearly as good looking as that dude.

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

I don't need to "tie myself in knots" to justify their strategy. It's really quite simple.

Option 1: Blow snow in the borderline temps you have, hoping that you're able to pull off some kind of opening and it will last through the warmth to the weekend. If successful, be the first resort to open in the east and get great publicity for it. If it doesn't work out then you wasted some money, but at least you tried and it's easy to say that the weather prevented an opening. Show FIS officials that you are trying as hard as you can to make the World Cup happen so they give you a chance and don't cancel.

Option 2: Don't blow snow and get torn to shreds on social media for not doing it whether you would've been able to open or not, only to possibly find out in the end that temps were colder than forecasted and you could have opened. Also make the FIS worried that you're not committed to holding the World Cup and they cancel it early.

Also where did you get those numbers for the costs from?
I'm glad you're not in charge of strategic planning for POWDR, but it's hard to imagine them being worse than they already are.

The forecast showed 30F and higher, followed by r*in. All they needed to say is that it wasn't reasonable to make snow - VERY few people would have questioned it. That's far more reasonable than pissing away upwards of 5% of their snowmaking budget.

The money (diesel Fuel, electricity and labor) they wasted this week on blowing slush that's ONLY going to melt could have been used to blow FIVE TO TEN FEET of snow (100+ acre feet) across ALL of Superstar during the middle of the season.

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Enjoy waiting in 45 minute lift lines each weekend, being nickel and dimed for parking, and having them close 2/3 of the mountain on April 1st at $towe.

Goodbye and good riddance.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:Enjoy waiting in 45 minute lift lines each weekend, being nickel and dimed for parking, and having them close 2/3 of the mountain on April 1st at $towe.

That sounds a lot like Killington......hmmmmm.....

yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Highway Star wrote:
snoloco wrote:Enjoy waiting in 45 minute lift lines each weekend, being nickel and dimed for parking, and having them close 2/3 of the mountain on April 1st at $towe.

That sounds a lot like Killington......hmmmmm.....
"I'll take "Painful Rectal Itch" for a thousand , Alex......"...........................................................................go the phuk away , Kev....
Attachments
homerbart.jpg
homerbart.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 210 times