About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Post by snoloco »

They wouldn't be able to host the race in Feb or March because they need all the parking for mid season business levels. The FIS calendar only has races in North America in November and early December unless theres an Olympics in North America.

And any ski area that hosts a World Cup is the "FIS's bitch" all part of the fun.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Highway Star wrote:I'd have no problem with Killington hosting the race, if it was some time in February, or early March.

As it is, we are FIS's bitch. Take a holiday weekend, use half the snow available, and the only base area that is open? Yeah, you're their bitch.
So you want to cut the resort in half and close off the Superstar area mid season?? Good luck with that. I don't really see this event possible mid season.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

daytripper wrote:
Highway Star wrote:I'd have no problem with Killington hosting the race, if it was some time in February, or early March.

As it is, we are FIS's bitch. Take a holiday weekend, use half the snow available, and the only base area that is open? Yeah, you're their bitch.
So you want to cut the resort in half and close off the Superstar area mid season?? Good luck with that. I don't really see this event possible mid season.
Are you hallucinating...? Seriously.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

The FIS doesn't allow the public on a lift over a course because no way in hell they would risk any chance of snow or anything else falling onto a racer which would likely result in a crash. You can rule out any chance of them ever having it open during a World Cup on Superstar regardless of the month.

Instead of limiting blowing on public terrain in the early season when few people are skiing anyways, they would be limiting it in the heart of the season and it would prevent resurfacing from happening in the event of a thaw and likely prevent trails that aren't necessarily blown every year from getting any attention.

Also, all the parking lots are needed mid season and there would be no room for WC spectators. They would need to bus people up from shopping center parking lots in Rutland or limit the number of people who could be skiing.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote:

exactly. they'd be shutting down the superstar lift and all associated trails for perhaps 2 weeks and cutting the resort in half during peak season. now that's dumb. there's no limit to this guy's stupidity. essentially hs's temper tantrum is over losing a couple trails for a couple weeks during the most meaningless part of the season. by this weekend, we get superstar & skye lark on-line in addition to probably cascade & ramshead and killington will offer the most terrain in the east as usual. game over. time to move on ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

I had an interesting conversation today with a guy I’m doing some business with. During the “how was your thanksgiving” pleasantries, he said he watched ski racing this weekend. Of course I said I was watching live. He skis out west, but said he needs to try Killington now. He didn’t realize it was such a world class resort. Then he said that when the aerial camera view panned out he could see that Killington does not have such a great snowmaking system because so little was covered. He said he will check K out later in the season after they can make enough snow. Until then he will go out west. So it seems the WC is a double edge sword. My personal opinion is the WC is great for the resort and town. But they really needs to step up their snow making game. Investing in media coverage while neglecting your customers is not a sustainable business strategy. Just as my colleague said, the race put Killy on the map. But they won’t get his business until they improve conditions.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiadikt wrote:
daytripper wrote:

exactly. they'd be shutting down the superstar lift and all associated trails for perhaps 2 weeks and cutting the resort in half during peak season. now that's dumb. there's no limit to this guy's stupidity. essentially hs's temper tantrum is over losing a couple trails for a couple weeks during the most meaningless part of the season. by this weekend, we get superstar & skye lark on-line in addition to probably cascade & ramshead and killington will offer the most terrain in the east as usual. game over. time to move on ...
snoloco wrote:The FIS doesn't allow the public on a lift over a course because no way in hell they would risk any chance of snow or anything else falling onto a racer which would likely result in a crash. You can rule out any chance of them ever having it open during a World Cup on Superstar regardless of the month.

Instead of limiting blowing on public terrain in the early season when few people are skiing anyways, they would be limiting it in the heart of the season and it would prevent resurfacing from happening in the event of a thaw and likely prevent trails that aren't necessarily blown every year from getting any attention.

Also, all the parking lots are needed mid season and there would be no room for WC spectators. They would need to bus people up from shopping center parking lots in Rutland or limit the number of people who could be skiing.
Nice try, but just plain wrong. The World Cup trail mid season is Outer Limits, where they have previously hosted pro level alpine racing. It would likely be a Men's race, as the pitch is may be considered too steep for a Women's race, although there is no official maximum pitch for either.

OL would be the steepest World Cup GS ever held with an average ~60% grade. The current steepest/hardest course is here:

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/pag ... ergli.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But by all means, please continue to do no research, be ignorant of the history, and just make stuff up.
Last edited by Highway Star on Nov 27th, '17, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

They want to do it on Superstar because the rock hard ice blown for the race helps them get an early start on the Superstar Glacier and I think it helped them make June last year. No way they would waste that snowmaking on any other trail. And I don't think Outer Limits is considered long enough as it's about 1000 feet shorter than Superstar.

There's no question that the World Cup affects public terrain in November a lot and not in a good way. Luckily you can ski at other mountains during the time they have more terrain open. I still don't get why they didn't make it more of a priority to get ski in access via the Ramshead lift, but according to reports the shuttle system worked much better than last season. Maybe if this is to become a yearly event they can put in a Cabriolet lift from Snowshed to K1 like Tremblant has which could also be useful if any development occurs in "The Village".
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:They want to do it on Superstar because the rock hard ice blown for the race helps them get an early start on the Superstar Glacier and I think it helped them make June last year. No way they would waste that snowmaking on any other trail. And I don't think Outer Limits is considered long enough as it's about 1000 feet shorter than Superstar.

There's no question that the World Cup affects public terrain in November a lot and not in a good way. Luckily you can ski at other mountains during the time they have more terrain open. I still don't get why they didn't make it more of a priority to get ski in access via the Ramshead lift, but according to reports the shuttle system worked much better than last season. Maybe if this is to become a yearly event they can put in a Cabriolet lift from Snowshed to K1 like Tremblant has which could also be useful if any development occurs in "The Village".
Nope. OL is FIS compliant for both men and women's GS and Slalom. And salting the course makes little to no difference for spring skiing. But by all means, don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/docu ... eutral.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Woodsrider wrote:I had an interesting conversation today with a guy I’m doing some business with. During the “how was your thanksgiving” pleasantries, he said he watched ski racing this weekend. Of course I said I was watching live. He skis out west, but said he needs to try Killington now. He didn’t realize it was such a world class resort. Then he said that when the aerial camera view panned out he could see that Killington does not have such a great snowmaking system because so little was covered. He said he will check K out later in the season after they can make enough snow. Until then he will go out west. So it seems the WC is a double edge sword. My personal opinion is the WC is great for the resort and town. But they really needs to step up their snow making game. Investing in media coverage while neglecting your customers is not a sustainable business strategy. Just as my colleague said, the race put Killy on the map. But they won’t get his business until they improve conditions.
Your colleague realizes it's November, right?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Ski racing on Outer Limits??? UNPOSSIBLE???

NO! There's video!!!

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

throbster wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:I had an interesting conversation today with a guy I’m doing some business with. During the “how was your thanksgiving” pleasantries, he said he watched ski racing this weekend. Of course I said I was watching live. He skis out west, but said he needs to try Killington now. He didn’t realize it was such a world class resort. Then he said that when the aerial camera view panned out he could see that Killington does not have such a great snowmaking system because so little was covered. He said he will check K out later in the season after they can make enough snow. Until then he will go out west. So it seems the WC is a double edge sword. My personal opinion is the WC is great for the resort and town. But they really needs to step up their snow making game. Investing in media coverage while neglecting your customers is not a sustainable business strategy. Just as my colleague said, the race put Killy on the map. But they won’t get his business until they improve conditions.
Yes of course. And after seeing what Killington is capable of with the assault on superstar, I can’t disagree with him.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Woodsrider wrote:
throbster wrote:
Yes of course. And after seeing what Killington is capable of with the assault on superstar, I can’t disagree with him.
So you're saying Killington needs to make more snow in November?

Manmade is nice to lay a little base down for the natural. But it's really no fun skiing on Man made. It's good practice for when it snows - that's it.

If it snowed 20 feet there would't be anybody at the mountain till New Years - and they are all gone by St Patty's day - no matter how great the conditions are.

BTW - there's NO snow out west either - it's ONLY NOVEMBER :beat :beat :beat :beat :beat :beat
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

The business client doesn’t exist. Fake news
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I don't know if they salted it this year or not. The snow they use for the race is very high water content, so there's very little air mixed in and it is incredibly resilient to warm temps. With so little air in it, it take much more to melt it. It's the same reason why natural snow melts so much quicker than manmade. If you're going to invest in preparing that kind of snow for a race, you do it on the same trail that you're trying to keep open the latest if you can, so even mid season they would've done it on Superstar. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

There is no way this would ever happen mid season because of the FIS calendar. HS knows absolutely nothing.