Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: 5.7 Million Capital Expenditures for 2018

Post by Highway Star »

madhatter wrote:
Highway Star wrote:FYI..............

ok so outside of the fact that it doesn't have 2000 era rubber, it's 10lbs heavier, it wasn't uncommon to replace the frame 2-3 times per season, he hoped it would last the run so he could actually compare it and in fact at the end of the run he had a broken swingarm....yep they're equal...

he didn't mention the brakes so we'll pretend they are equal...
Original statement:
Highway Star wrote:A good, well set up DH race bike from 2002 is better on DH trails than the average 5" trail bike or 6" enduro bike. Sure, bikes are somewhat better. But the biggest safety issue is that the average trail bike isn't running super soft DH compound tires (42a ST, Maxxgrip, etc), which make a huge difference.

What people are doing at Killington is not Freeride. It's called "Bike Park" riding.
BOTH the bikes in that video will SMOKE "the average 5" trail bike or 6" enduro bike". Not to mention, DH bikes made very significant progress from 2000 to 2002.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I got to thinking about the new 6 pack.

The existing quad has 158 chairs. On a busy day the liftline can reach the end of the maze. Half the chairs will be full, so 79x4 = 316 skiers on the lift.

A six-pack will have the chairs spaced at over twice the spacing, so there will be half as many chairs. 38x6 = 228 skiers on the lift.

So even though it’s a six instead of a 4, on any given Saturday the liftline will be longer by 88 skiers. Plus the additional skiers attracted by the new lift. They’ll need a bigger maze.

The good news is of course once you get on the ride up will be faster and warmer. About 5 minutes.

Given the longer appearing liftline, will it really draw from K1 that much?
mogwai
Green Skidder

Post by mogwai »

Mister Moose wrote:I got to thinking about the new 6 pack.

The existing quad has 158 chairs. On a busy day the liftline can reach the end of the maze. Half the chairs will be full, so 79x4 = 316 skiers on the lift.

A six-pack will have the chairs spaced at over twice the spacing, so there will be half as many chairs. 38x6 = 228 skiers on the lift.

So even though it’s a six instead of a 4, on any given Saturday the liftline will be longer by 88 skiers. Plus the additional skiers attracted by the new lift. They’ll need a bigger maze.

The good news is of course once you get on the ride up will be faster and warmer. About 5 minutes.

Given the longer appearing liftline, will it really draw from K1 that much?
Yes, yes it will! People must ride a bubble.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Why don't you go practice falling down, I'll be there in a minute!
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

The only item that will reduce the amount of people on the K1 is the SouthRidge lift. A time long ago pipedream was groomed on one side down to the old lift. This was some good intermediate terrain which may take people away from snowdon if this is done again. With the tunnel improvements skiers will be able to lap snowdon in record time which is going to create more lines.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

The line at a lift has nothing to do with the number of bodies in the chairs. It's how many people can be moved per hour versus the number that show up.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Knowledgeable skiers avoid doing laps on Snowdon and only use it as an access lift for the Canyon. The new lift will certainly draw people that would otherwise use the Rams Head quad or K-1.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Highway Star wrote:Knowledgeable skiers avoid doing laps on Snowdon and only use it as an access lift for the Canyon. The new lift will certainly draw people that would otherwise use the Rams Head quad or K-1.
Experienced skiers understand that with a high speed lift at Snowdon - the following opportunity exists:

Northstar
Great Bear
East Fall
Flush
Chop
Highline

Endless in-between trail stashes.

I'd say that beats the Superstar Pod
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

hillbangin wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Knowledgeable skiers avoid doing laps on Snowdon and only use it as an access lift for the Canyon. The new lift will certainly draw people that would otherwise use the Rams Head quad or K-1.
Experienced skiers understand that with a high speed lift at Snowdon - the following opportunity exists:

Northstar
Great Bear
East Fall
Flush
Chop
Highline

Endless in-between trail stashes.

I'd say that beats the Superstar Pod
There is some ok-ish but even currently overskied terrain at Snowdon. I'll certainly ski it more with the fast lift.

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Highway Star wrote:There is some ok-ish but even currently overskied terrain at Snowdon. I'll certainly ski it more with the fast lift.
I think we'll all ski it more, especially mid-week.