No Canyon Quad Today

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Re: No Canyon Quad Today

Post by BoozeTan »

Kzone is becoming an endless bitch fest. I never knew we had so many are lift engineers, mechanics, snowmakers etc on this site......all who obviously know much more about it than Killington does.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

BoozeTan wrote:Kzone is becoming an endless bitch fest. I never knew we had so many are lift engineers, mechanics, snowmakers etc on this site......all who obviously know much more about it than Killington does.
:like :bang
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Looks like no Canyon Quad this weekend either. Report shows it as closed rather than expected and since it shows Needle's as expected I know it's the report for tomorrow.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

snoloco wrote:Looks like no Canyon Quad this weekend either. Report shows it as closed rather than expected and since it shows Needle's as expected I know it's the report for tomorrow.
well that sux. since it ran last sunday it can't be because of mechanical problems. was willing to give them a pass for not running during the week but not running on a weekend at this point is a major fu.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Killington's position appears to be that although the lifts are old they keep them up to date and thus they are just as good as new lifts. Or some such nonsense. Does anyone really believe that a 20 year old car is just as reliable as a new one regardless of how well maintained it is?

My actual issue is parts: Getting parts for a thirty year old lift can't be easy. My assumption is they replaced the cross arms on the Snowdon triple because they were having trouble getting parts. New cross arms; new sheaves, new safety system. Trouble is, now the lift is another "Frankenstein-lift" little bit of this, something of that. After a while, nobody's really sure how it's put together. Drawings are a mish-mash of new and old. Requires institutional knowledge of what's there. Works, right up until that corporate knowledge retires or quits.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

rogman wrote:Killington's position appears to be that although the lifts are old they keep them up to date and thus they are just as good as new lifts. Or some such nonsense. Does anyone really believe that a 20 year old car is just as reliable as a new one regardless of how well maintained it is?

My actual issue is parts: Getting parts for a thirty year old lift can't be easy. My assumption is they replaced the cross arms on the Snowdon triple because they were having trouble getting parts. New cross arms; new sheaves, new safety system. Trouble is, now the lift is another "Frankenstein-lift" little bit of this, something of that. After a while, nobody's really sure how it's put together. Drawings are a mish-mash of new and old. Requires institutional knowledge of what's there. Works, right up until that corporate knowledge retires or quits.
Gee, sounds like you are starting to come around on your opinion of Frankenlifts.

And it still has crappy chairs.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

If they replaced the chairs with something a little wider and with lower foot rest I would be satisfied. That is the part the customer comes in contact with! Jeff did sat it has a Cat drive system, which is a D 9 final drive. Parts are available for almost any Cat machine. They will make the part if it is not in stock somewhere.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain ... C2%2C5%2C6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canyon Quad 8:00-16:00
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

web cam says running
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

It was running and I really enjoyed all the Canyon runs I did.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Appears the updating the Trail and Lift report is their biggest challenge this season.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Big Bob wrote:Jeff did sat it has a Cat drive system, which is a D 9 final drive. Parts are available for almost any Cat machine. They will make the part if it is not in stock somewhere.
I was speaking in very general terms. Diesel APUs are probably the one part that is good for the long haul. Large engines are expected to run 10's of thousands of hours, and last 30 years or more; think small commercial ships for example. The light load they get at a ski area is nothing. If anything, their lack of hours is a problem. However other parts, particularly electrical, go out of production fairly quickly. Ever try to find parts for a 10 year old electronics? Sensors, switches, small custom mechanical parts, all that stuff has to be a PITA to deal with. This summer I tried to buy a $20 part that had failed for a 15 year old windlass. "We don't make that anymore". Winch was effectively totaled. Fortunately I was able to get someone to copy the design and make a new one with a 3D printer.