New Years Eve Day 2017 ......

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

New Years Eve Day 2017 ......

Post by MrsG »

Freakin' cold out there with the wind ..... dressed properly .... Only cold I felt was through vents on goggles - need to figure that one out, cold eyes are not fun :oops:

As usual, only skied south of Sup! Sup showing some serious scouring on the lower section.. Upper Wildfire hard bumps, but lower decent - guns on Sky, and visibility ok. Upper Bitter probably best surface under the guns but you could not see a thing - if you know the trail, not an issue - snow so dry, did not even leave droplets on goggles!! Sky scoured.

Only lasted a little over an hour - inside of goggles freezing - and they are new :|

Happy New Year all . . . Be safe out there :wink: :D :wink:

Edit: Sorry big join - tried to copy into your thread - would not work?!?!? Must have been typing at same time :oops:
rogman
Postinator

Re: New Years Eve Day 2017 ......

Post by rogman »

Finally wandered out about 10:30. Cold but manageable; the wind left expected trails as bare ice; others were exceptional. Definitely a schizo day. Made it to the peak (our primary goal). Home for football. Overall a good day, a good finish to the year, and I'll throw in a well done in 2017 by Killington.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

rotd - taking my boots off in the bear lodge ... survived the morning shift with no additional frostbite. other than the bear chair, riding any exposed lift was masochistic. conditions were as expected with the wind strafing everything and conditions ranging from frozen machine trax to nice pockets of pow. skyeburst from viper down was delightful under the guns. nats like dm hw, thimble, vertigo & breakaway skiing well with some variable sections. more of the same on tap for tomorrow with temps remaining below zero until tuesday's meltdown ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Please tell me someone shredded a blown lower O. It must have been spectacular with the dry snow K is delivering. I love that trail when it’s soft.
snow4all
Blue Chatterbox

Post by snow4all »

Well it was back to the facemask today. All equipment did its job until later in the day when moisture from numerous laps on upper dreamaker and thimble got the body heated up and then frost on inside of the goggles. A common theme for many, but nothing a quick wipe could not conquer until the next run. Started with a nice Jug to Breakaway and saw a few had gone before me. Troughs all filled in over night and a beautiful sunny start to the day. OL had chalk mounds with filled in troughs so a good time was had there for sure. After a few more laps then went to do laps on dream maker and found thimble to be in good shape as well so added that to the mix. Early break for lunch and then back for more of the previously mentioned laps, couldn't resist gondola warm ups, did a couple of superstar. Snowmaking clouds from Ovation made visibility on top half a challenge, but skiers right was nice and consistent until final decent and then it was pick the snow and glide the firm. Decided to close out the year under the guns on Ovation and was not disappointed. Creamy down middle O with bumps and whales along the way, then skiers left under the guns with nice bumps and soft landings on lower O. A great way to end 2017. May we have plentiful, snow in 2018!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Spent my day doing laps off one of the gondolas. Did laps off the K1 and I really enjoyed skiing Cascade (a few times) although I had no visibility. Escapade had ice moguls so not so enjoyable. East Fall was great in the morning. My skiing partner did not want to ski Royal Flush although it looked good to me. Instead we did two runs off the poma with Upper Royal Flush being the best. After a break to warm up a bit, we went over to the Superstar area and enjoyed Old Superstar to middle Superstar to High Road over to Needles. We rode the Skyship a few times and it did stop a few time the first time we rode it. We enjoyed Thimble, Vertigo and Stitchline Hardly anyone skiing so everything was great. Finished my day by skiing Skyhawk to middle Superstar to lower Ovation. When I was skiing lower Ovation only guns going were at the bottom but later on when I was leaving I saw guns blasting lower Ovation. It was a very cold day and I was totally frozen when I called it a day.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Post of the year ski4all :P 8) :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

Happy New Year All :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
snow4all wrote:Well it was back to the facemask today. All equipment did its job until later in the day when moisture from numerous laps on upper dreamaker and thimble got the body heated up and then frost on inside of the goggles. A common theme for many, but nothing a quick wipe could not conquer until the next run. Started with a nice Jug to Breakaway and saw a few had gone before me. Troughs all filled in over night and a beautiful sunny start to the day. OL had chalk mounds with filled in troughs so a good time was had there for sure. After a few more laps then went to do laps on dream maker and found thimble to be in good shape as well so added that to the mix. Early break for lunch and then back for more of the previously mentioned laps, couldn't resist gondola warm ups, did a couple of superstar. Snowmaking clouds from Ovation made visibility on top half a challenge, but skiers right was nice and consistent until final decent and then it was pick the snow and glide the firm. Decided to close out the year under the guns on Ovation and was not disappointed. Creamy down middle O with bumps and whales along the way, then skiers left under the guns with nice bumps and soft landings on lower O. A great way to end 2017. May we have plentiful, snow in 2018!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Didn't experience as much wind as others have reported. That being said, didn't go out of or way looking for it either. Mostly laps on the two gondis with one break at the peak over about 3-1/2 hours.

ROTD: Cascade. We had a disappointing run on Escapade [top was frozen stiff; next section was pretty good] but when we bounced out to Cascade we found the newly laid down man made sweetness AND they were turning the guns off. Regardless, I chose Flume that was pretty good assuming you know the trail. Then, back up the K1 for a Cascade TTB that was great from start to finish.

Stitchline middle and lower: Very good. Another one of my favorites when it's skiable.

Thimble, Upper DM good as others have reported.

Breakaway excellent.

Old Supe pretty good but firmer than it has been. Middle / Lower SS pretty good but don't head out into the middle on lower SS.

No lines anywhere.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!