Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Re: Labor shortage?

Post by Kpdemello »

Bubba wrote:
Kpdemello wrote:
Bubba wrote:Labor shortages at seasonal resorts should not come as a surprise. H-2B visas are limited. Summer resorts are having the same problem.
I thought the H1B visa program was supposed to be for skilled workers, not unskilled labor like lift operators? I'm curious if Killington actually uses the H1B visa program or something else to bring in their seasonal workers. It's clear they do have some sort of program to bring in overseas personnel for help.

I've heard the job market in the U.S. is strong (for employees) so I can imagine any lower-paying jobs are having a hard time getting filled.
H-2B not H-1B

ohhhhhh..... that seems like a terrible idea.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

A business that can't pay its workers a living wage probably should go under, since otherwise the government is effectively subsidizing that business. I don't think Killington falls into that category, however. Supply demand curve doesn't really work with a scarce bordering on non-existent resource.
Jeff_CT
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Jeff_CT »

rogman wrote:A business that can't pay its workers a living wage probably should go under, since otherwise the government is effectively subsidizing that business. I don't think Killington falls into that category, however. Supply demand curve doesn't really work with a scarce bordering on non-existent resource.
Sooo every retail store besides costco and maaaybe Target should go under?
LarryAck
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LarryAck »

Why not just ban the guy with the political discussions. Let him work for Bernie for free, and sing KumBaya.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

A living wage in Rutland County is about $23,076/year [pre-tax], about $11.09/hour if you're a single adult. (Source is the MIT living wage calculator, http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/50021) Obviously, it is considerably higher if you have kids. There is a fairly decent breakdown at that site of where the expenses lie. This is not the same as a minimum wage as some of you would appear to assume. I suspect Killington pays most/all of their employees at least that. However, doesn't mean they can get all the workers they need at that rate, or even at some higher dollar/hour rate. And for God's sake, this isn't politics, unless you consider Econ101 politics.

It's a long way from advocating for a living wage to Bernie's proposals, many of which I think are unworkable. I'll also point out there probably needs to be lower wage exceptions for teenage workers as well as a few other categories. Bottom line is that I don't want my taxes subsidizing businesses that underpay their workers, and when you don't pay a living wage that's what happens.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

LarryAck wrote:Why not just ban the guy with the political discussions. Let him work for Bernie for free, and sing KumBaya.
man a lot of people here simply cannot detect sarcasm...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bubba wrote:Labor shortages at seasonal resorts should not come as a surprise. H-2B visas are limited. Summer resorts are having the same problem.
Clearly we should be bringing in more people from Haiti.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

GSKI wrote:
Tell me more about how the economy works "Feel the Bern boy". Trump is doing everything possible to lower energy prices and put people back to work. You are probably for minimum wage at $15 but will turn around and bitch if his/her lift ticket becomes more expensive.
Drumpf is a menace. I would put all these folks out of work in their very pitiful low paid ski area jobs and give them social benefits. We and the environment will be far better off. It is coming and cannot be stopped. Democrats will take the Congress back in November then you will see a real transformation of America into what it should be. You cannot stop it we have the demographics on our side. You will lose. Like in California no racist Republican will ever have a significant political office ever again. Then we will wipe those folks out once and for all.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote:A living wage in Rutland County is about $23,076/year [pre-tax], about $11.09/hour if you're a single adult. (Source is the MIT living wage calculator, http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/50021) Obviously, it is considerably higher if you have kids. There is a fairly decent breakdown at that site of where the expenses lie. This is not the same as a minimum wage as some of you would appear to assume. I suspect Killington pays most/all of their employees at least that. However, doesn't mean they can get all the workers they need at that rate, or even at some higher dollar/hour rate. And for God's sake, this isn't politics, unless you consider Econ101 politics.

It's a long way from advocating for a living wage to Bernie's proposals, many of which I think are unworkable. I'll also point out there probably needs to be lower wage exceptions for teenage workers as well as a few other categories. Bottom line is that I don't want my taxes subsidizing businesses that underpay their workers, and when you don't pay a living wage that's what happens.
I've seen a lot of arbitrary assumptions in these types of calculations, but that's another topic. This study's own figures state that for 2 adults (both working), a living wage is $8.62. Get a roommate, boom, you are making $1 over the living wage. Why should the government (and your taxes) subsidize someone's desire to have an apartment all to themselves? Why not learn how to peacefully and respectfully live with someone? Take another part time job at Killington, and boom, now you can bank all that extra money and invest it in community college, or other growth related goal.

And that's Econ 102.

If I do the same job at 16 as you do at 22, why should I get paid less?

If Killington raises its wages, you can be sure more people will apply to work there instead of staying with a lower paying position. You also have to factor in the seasonal aspect of Killington's employment appeal vs other year round employment.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Mister Moose wrote:I've seen a lot of arbitrary assumptions in these types of calculations, but that's another topic. This study's own figures state that for 2 adults (both working), a living wage is $8.62. Get a roommate, boom, you are making $1 over the living wage. Why should the government (and your taxes) subsidize someone's desire to have an apartment all to themselves? Why not learn how to peacefully and respectfully live with someone? Take another part time job at Killington, and boom, now you can bank all that extra money and invest it in community college, or other growth related goal.
Why should the government allow businesses to import foreign workers under H2B visas to artificially increase the labor supply and artificially depress wages in a region? Seems to me if Killington couldn't import enough cheap labor, they would be forced to pay higher wages (and find other ways to cut costs or perhaps automate). That doesn't seem like a bad thing for the people who live and work in Vermont.

Believe it or not, I think Trump has actually done the right thing by restricting H2B visas. H1B and H2B visas need to go or be seriously overhauled in some way.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Kpdemello wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:I've seen a lot of arbitrary assumptions in these types of calculations, but that's another topic. This study's own figures state that for 2 adults (both working), a living wage is $8.62. Get a roommate, boom, you are making $1 over the living wage. Why should the government (and your taxes) subsidize someone's desire to have an apartment all to themselves? Why not learn how to peacefully and respectfully live with someone? Take another part time job at Killington, and boom, now you can bank all that extra money and invest it in community college, or other growth related goal.
Why should the government allow businesses to import foreign workers under H2B visas to artificially increase the labor supply and artificially depress wages in a region? Seems to me if Killington couldn't import enough cheap labor, they would be forced to pay higher wages (and find other ways to cut costs or perhaps automate). That doesn't seem like a bad thing for the people who live and work in Vermont.

Believe it or not, I think Trump has actually done the right thing by restricting H2B visas. H1B and H2B visas need to go or be seriously overhauled in some way.
Can I assume you would also support increasing tariffs on imported goods (i.e. suppliers to Walmart) would also be a good thing since it would theoretically increase prices for American made goods?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bubba wrote:
Kpdemello wrote:

Can I assume you would also support increasing tariffs on imported goods (i.e. suppliers to Walmart) would also be a good thing since it would theoretically increase prices for American made goods?
Increasing tariffs on foreign goods would not necessarily increase Walmart's prices.
Last edited by Highway Star on Jan 16th, '18, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Mister Moose wrote:
I've seen a lot of arbitrary assumptions in these types of calculations, but that's another topic. This study's own figures state that for 2 adults (both working), a living wage is $8.62. Get a roommate, boom, you are making $1 over the living wage. Why should the government (and your taxes) subsidize someone's desire to have an apartment all to themselves? Why not learn how to peacefully and respectfully live with someone? Take another part time job at Killington, and boom, now you can bank all that extra money and invest it in community college, or other growth related goal.

And that's Econ 102.

If I do the same job at 16 as you do at 22, why should I get paid less?
Because you accept less.

Econ 103.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Bubba wrote:Can I assume you would also support increasing tariffs on imported goods (i.e. suppliers to Walmart) would also be a good thing since it would theoretically increase prices for American made goods?
Yes. The concept of free trade has been stretched to allow US companies to leverage low labor costs in countries that treat their labor terribly (i.e. China) which, while it reduces costs, results in lowering wages both here and abroad. Allowing imports from such countries without a tariff is tantamount to supporting abusive labor policies. In short, it's bad for everyone, including the wealthy owners long term, who will find their market smaller because average workers can't afford to buy their stuff.

This is one of the few areas that I find strong affinity with Trump's policies.

Granted, however, that increasing tariffs would best be done on an international cooperative level as if a company based in the UK was able to leverage cheap labor in China and sell those good in the US without a tariff, that would just get around the whole point of the tariff.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

GSKI wrote:We need more HI-B visas to get more foreign workers in here so we can keep costs low because those folks are desperate and will work for less than native Vermonters. Trump (Donnie Drumpf...his real name) is threatening this. He needs to be gone by any means necessary. Russian traitor!
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or are just a complete moron...... I am hoping for sarcastic.