Sugarloaf help/advice

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Re: Sugarloaf help/advice

Post by Killington_Lover »

Too rude?? :roll:

And you ski at K? My 5 years skiing SL gave me an entirely different impression. Not to mention the terrain is far superior if not crippled by their lift infrastructure. Agree on the too expensive, would have bought a non blackout pass if it was comparable to the under 30 at K. I will say K is by the far the highest concentration of rude people I have encountered at any Ski area in NE or the world. With the draw from metro Boston and NYC/Jersey that isn’t much of a surprise I guess.
Ski It If You Can!..
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Let me amend the rude to "short" or some other word that would cover a less than cheery attitude of some the staff.
Many seem overwhelmed and unsure of how to handle guest situations. As a "paying guest" I did not feel as welcome as I felt that I was a PITA and a burden to their day. Look, I know I'm a PITA, but when it is your job to assist guests in having a pleasant experience you should not exude an attitude of being overworked and undertrained. Experiences like this drive me to try be better at my job.

IE: One guest asks for directions to Java Joes. Desk person gives directions and fifteen minutes later the guest is back because Java Joes is not open... yet. Err, Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but shouldn't the hotel desk person know the hours of the venues on property?
Last edited by Stache on Jan 23rd, '18, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Stache, you are unique as a bus driver as you ski. Many bus drivers don not ski. If you went over to Sugar loafs race center and explained that you could volunteer or help out with the college races you probably could get a ticket. Was this the Thompson college races?
Hope you had a nice tome. FYI people can be rude anywhere. We never know what makes them be rude, maybe something outside of skiing.
Cheers.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Finn wrote:Stache, you are unique as a bus driver as you ski. Many bus drivers don not ski.
Many lawyers, teachers and hookers don not ski either. What's your point dopey?
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

So how did the Williams kids do at the event?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

The coach only told me they did well. Race on Saturday was cancelled or moved to Sunday and the other was pushed off to some future date.

Yes, I am unique in our company.
I am the only driver allowed to take his skiis with him on trips.
Back in 2014 when I got my first night skiing trip assignment I asked the boss if I could take my skiis with me.
His response was, "Oh no. What if you got hurt?"
I explained to him, "Richard, I'm 57 years old. I started skiing when I was 6. That is over a half century on skiis. I earned my PSIA Certification when I was 30. That is over a quarter century as a Certified Professional Ski Instructor of America. I am on staff at the Killington Ski School teaching at least 26 days a season. I am much more likely to get hurt (and file a Workers Comp claim) walking across our rutted icy parking lot than I am out on the hill on my skiis."

Permission granted.
Last edited by Stache on Jan 24th, '18, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Final TR from my weekend at Sugarloaf.
Despite some issues checking in Friday night, and a few staff that were challenged by their own lack of knowledge or attitude I tried to make the best of an awkward situation.
Windhold and the price of a lift ticket kept me from skiing.
There was no pool but there was a 40 person salt water hot tub.
Extra charge to use the facilities. Included a $2 charge for the small bottle of Poland Spring water at your bedside.
Food was very good and the 45 North waitstaff were excellent (save for one).

My final opinion is much what I posted earlier.
Sugarloaf = Too Far, Too Expensive, and just not worth the time or money.
The same or better can be had closer for less.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =