Thoughts after visiting Sunday River

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Thoughts after visiting Sunday River

Post by deadheadskier »

Jeff_CT wrote:What about putting in more tunnels bridges on trails like great northern? I love that I can get most anywhere on K because of the trail layout but if you kept the majority of the traffic under the steeper drops it would allow navigation while keeping the gappers on launch pad from skiing in front of someone shooting down superstar for example.
Or....

People could just ski down to the base areas of each peak and use the lift system to get where they want to go instead of trying to traverse on/across trails.

To each their own, but adding tunnels to a ski area just seems odd to me
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Or...here's an idea.....build a chair on South Ridge which would allow people to traverse just below the peak and come back easily from Bear to the other side of the mountain.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

deadheadskier wrote:
Big Bob wrote:
rogman wrote:At White Heat. "Let's go to Jordan". Good luck with that...
Correct me if I am wrong Machski, but 2 lift rides from the top of White Heat, 3 from the bottom.
Yep

Top would be ski down to Barker, up, ski down to Spruce and ski over.

It's a long slog, but the nice thing is from Jordan you can ski all the way to the base of White Cap pretty easily. It's certainly easier than going from Bear to Ramshead base in one shot via the Snowshed crossover

Traveling east to west or vice versa stinks at both mountains. Best just to enjoy the peaks along the way.

I agree with the OP in that I like that SR has fewer intersections, but there's no question K is the better mountain overall for expert skiers who like ungroomed terrain and trees, which would be my preference. Likewise, Sunday River is a far better mountain for those who prefer skiing groomed terrain. Cruising terrain just isn't in Killingtons wheelhouse due to it's topography.
Thanks DHS. Yes from the top of the Heat it's not bad, but they really need to do something to speed up that flow from White Cap base. Main reason why White Cap lodge is so underutilized these days I'M HOME.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Lunch at North Peak Lodge yesterday, $16 for a loaded Bloody Mary and $9.75 for a Pilsner draft beer $$$$$$$.

Started out with 7 lifts running, by around 2 pm only 3 lifts running due to wind. It was warm and sunny at the bottom and mid mountain-really nice out. Once you got some elevation and exposure-forget it. I was told there were 80 mph wind gust top of White Heat. Hardly any of the really good stuff was open. They had opened Shock Wave on Friday with whalebacks-I heard it was fantastic. I really wanted to ski it, but White Heat lift was closed all day. Jordan was closed all day. Barker HSQ closed all day.

The drive to Sunday River is 2nd worst and boring in all of N.E. Only the drive to Sugarloaf, USA is worse and more boring.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

machski wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:
Big Bob wrote:
rogman wrote:At White Heat. "Let's go to Jordan". Good luck with that...
Correct me if I am wrong Machski, but 2 lift rides from the top of White Heat, 3 from the bottom.
Yep

Top would be ski down to Barker, up, ski down to Spruce and ski over.

It's a long slog, but the nice thing is from Jordan you can ski all the way to the base of White Cap pretty easily. It's certainly easier than going from Bear to Ramshead base in one shot via the Snowshed crossover

Traveling east to west or vice versa stinks at both mountains. Best just to enjoy the peaks along the way.

I agree with the OP in that I like that SR has fewer intersections, but there's no question K is the better mountain overall for expert skiers who like ungroomed terrain and trees, which would be my preference. Likewise, Sunday River is a far better mountain for those who prefer skiing groomed terrain. Cruising terrain just isn't in Killingtons wheelhouse due to it's topography.
Thanks DHS. Yes from the top of the Heat it's not bad, but they really need to do something to speed up that flow from White Cap base. Main reason why White Cap lodge is so underutilized these days I'M HOME.
Yeah the Tempest Quad is a dog out of there. Probably not worth the investment of a HSQ, but a conveyor belt to speed it up a few minutes would help.

When I lived in Portland and SR was the home hill, I almost always started my day at White Cap lodge. Nice level parking lot usually with close spots available and plenty of seats in the lodge to boot up. From there I'd slowly make way west and have lunch at North Peak, focus my afternoon on Jordan, Oz and Aurora then take the long, mellow traverse back to White Cap when my legs were toast at the end of the day; sometimes grabbing a beer at Barker along the way. Worked for me
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Lunch at North Peak Lodge yesterday, $16 for a loaded Bloody Mary and $9.75 for a Pilsner draft beer $$$$$$$.

Started out with 7 lifts running, by around 2 pm only 3 lifts running due to wind. It was warm and sunny at the bottom and mid mountain-really nice out. Once you got some elevation and exposure-forget it. I was told there were 80 mph wind gust top of White Heat. Hardly any of the really good stuff was open. They had opened Shock Wave on Friday with whalebacks-I heard it was fantastic. I really wanted to ski it, but White Heat lift was closed all day. Jordan was closed all day. Barker HSQ closed all day.

The drive to Sunday River is 2nd worst and boring in all of N.E. Only the drive to Sugarloaf, USA is worse and more boring.
I would add jay as being one of the most boring drives......
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. our principal thought after skiing Sunday River long ago .. Not Going Back :lol:
Sugarloaf is a different story :wink:

Avoiding Crosstown traffic is a skiing fundamental .. anywhere.
Snowbird's tunnel makes complete sense .. just gotta love museums ..

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Lunch at North Peak Lodge yesterday, $16 for a loaded Bloody Mary and $9.75 for a Pilsner draft beer $$$$$$$.

In fairness, wind holds were not unique to Sunday River this weekend. Half the lifts at Killington were shut down (at least at times) on Saturday which made the lines at other lifts so long we ended up bagging it and heading back to the house for the afternoon. (At one point the line for the K1 was literally back to the Killington Ski Club.

I agree about the drive being boring... route 26 is mundane, although from where we live it is about 10 minutes shorter to get to SR as compared to Killington.
Don't Killington Pico
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

boston_e wrote:

In fairness, wind holds were not unique to Sunday River this weekend. Half the lifts at Killington were shut down (at least at times) on Saturday which made the lines at other lifts so long we ended up bagging it and heading back to the house for the afternoon. (At one point the line for the K1 was literally back to the Killington Ski Club.

I agree about the drive being boring... route 26 is mundane, although from where we live it is about 10 minutes shorter to get to SR as compared to Killington.
skied 11-close on saturday...10 min in skye peak line, next run bear chair was open, never waited more than 2-3 minutes after that...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

boston_e wrote:

Rt 26 has been improved immensely in the last 15 years! Still waiting for a Norway/ South Paris bypass which will happen only when VT builds a bypass around Woodstock for US 4!!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
TheRat
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheRat »

Big Bob wrote:
boston_e wrote:

Rt 26 has been improved immensely in the last 15 years! Still waiting for a Norway/ South Paris bypass which will happen only when VT builds a bypass around Woodstock for US 4!!
N/SP bypass exists. You just have to know where it is.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

TheRat wrote:
Big Bob wrote:
boston_e wrote:

I do, but it has a slow speed limit...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Big Bob wrote:
TheRat wrote:
Big Bob wrote:
boston_e wrote:

I do, but it has a slow speed limit...
Friday on the way up, four cars in front of me took that bypass. They were just pulling up to the stop sign as I drove past.......
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

White Heat was not closed all day, it was open for the first 45 minutes or so. Crazy day for sure, first ride up winds were there but not too bad. Next ride, they we're starting to crank up. I asked Ski Patrol how close we were to WH going on wind, they said what wind? LOL. They wanted to keep it open. Third ride up and the chairs were swinging good enough the towers were getting very close. Knew that was it, made it to the bottom after SW and found the lift just closed. Crazy how fast the wind cranked up Saturday.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

machski wrote:

White Heat was not closed all day, it was open for the first 45 minutes or so. Crazy day for sure, first ride up winds were there but not too bad. Next ride, they we're starting to crank up. I asked Ski Patrol how close we were to WH going on wind, they said what wind? LOL. They wanted to keep it open. Third ride up and the chairs were swinging good enough the towers were getting very close. Knew that was it, made it to the bottom after SW and found the lift just closed. Crazy how fast the wind cranked up Saturday.
I headed towards Jordan to start the day, didn't know White Heat was open first thing. How were the whalebacks on Shock Wave, I heard the run was really good on Friday?
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!