Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: madhatter's 2018 garden thread

Post by Stormchaser »

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
madhatter wrote:Image

rhubarb...
That would make a hell of a salad. Add some beets and onions with some oil and vinegar. Yum.
Rhubarb leaves contain dangerously high levels of oxalic acid which can cause serious kidney damage potentially leading to death. Even though a 140 pound person would need to eat about 10 pounds of rhubarb leaves to die, a small amount still has the ability to make a person sick.
ImageImageImageImage
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Stormchaser wrote:
Humpty Dumpty wrote:
madhatter wrote:Image

rhubarb...
That would make a hell of a salad. Add some beets and onions with some oil and vinegar. Yum.
Rhubarb leaves contain dangerously high levels of oxalic acid which can cause serious kidney damage potentially leading to death. Even though a 140 pound person would need to eat about 10 pounds of rhubarb leaves to die, a small amount still has the ability to make a person sick.
^^^
Humpty knows this, hence the recommendation for maddouchebag to eat it. Aaaaa duuuhhhh!

And Spanky, let the mdb defend himself. You don't need to play overlord protector for him and anyone else for that matter. So stop deleting Humpty posts Mr. Paper Thin.

I have to go take a poop, out.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Yes, another NH rock wall; this one a sculpted one. A magnificent piece of work in the middle of a beautiful, huge hay field. Located on the historic Roberts Farm in Rollinsford, NH. This farm is/was continuously operated by the same family for over 300 years.

The snow is almost all gone from the Concord-Manchester area towards the coast, sad.

http://www.dover.nh.gov/government/city ... -farm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, another NH rock sculpture. Also, the Roberts Farm hay field on the first day of summer.
Attachments
very low mpg.jpg
very low mpg.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 510 times
SAM_1660.JPG
SAM_1660.JPG (417.95 KiB) Viewed 510 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

My flower garden today:
Tony_side_080118.jpg
Tony_side_080118.jpg (292.27 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Front of house 080118.jpg
Front of house 080118.jpg (270.56 KiB) Viewed 445 times
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

My vegetable garden today:
Tomatoes.jpg
Tomatoes.jpg (268.39 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Cucumber and some string beans.jpg
Cucumber and some string beans.jpg (233.8 KiB) Viewed 423 times
More tomatoes, basil and herbs.jpg
More tomatoes, basil and herbs.jpg (267.71 KiB) Viewed 423 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

looking good Ty!!!
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

madhatter wrote:looking good Ty!!!
Yes, very nice and healthy looking.

In early spring, insects got to my asparagus so I had to spray them and didn't end up with a good harvest. A damn groundhog has gotten through my electric fence and destroyed my peas, green beans, cucumbers and radishes. Squirrels and chipmunks got through my netting over my blueberries and ate almost all of them. I have trapped or killed over a half dozen chipmunks and one squirrel so far. There are still two or three squirrels to kill. However, you get rid of one clan and another one seems to move in to take their place. I have only seen the damn groundhog once and wasn't able to get my shotgun in time to shoot it. I swear, that groundhog knows when nobody is home. It's been really depressing, so much hard work, only to have it destroyed by these damn rodents and insects.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

f.a.s.t. wrote:

In early spring, insects got to my asparagus so I had to spray them and didn't end up with a good harvest. A damn groundhog has gotten through my electric fence and destroyed my peas, green beans, cucumbers and radishes. Squirrels and chipmunks got through my netting over my blueberries and ate almost all of them. I have trapped or killed over a half dozen chipmunks and one squirrel so far. There are still two or three squirrels to kill. However, you get rid of one clan and another one seems to move in to take their place. I have only seen the damn groundhog once and wasn't able to get my shotgun in time to shoot it. I swear, that groundhog knows when nobody is home. It's been really depressing, so much hard work, only to have it destroyed by these damn rodents and insects.
Bread soaked in anti-freeze will kill the squirrels and raccoons. Quite effective. Keep it elevated to avoid any collateral damage to pets. I find a .22 best for ground hogs. Try a paint ball gun on deer so you can mark them as your own. Kinda like branding them...=fun.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

f.a.s.t. wrote:

Do you know where his nearby hole is? If so, pour Clorox and ammonia down the hole. It creates heavier than air DEADLY chlorine gas and will kill him. Do it only on a day with no wind so the stuff does not blow out of other holes and make others sick.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Dickc wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:

Do you know where his nearby hole is? If so, pour Clorox and ammonia down the hole. It creates heavier than air DEADLY chlorine gas and will kill him. Do it only on a day with no wind so the stuff does not blow out of other holes and make others sick.
kinda cruel death don't ya think? just shoot it w a 22 and be done w it...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

madhatter wrote:
Dickc wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:

I live in a city. You cannot even show a gun let alone shoot one without raising a ruckus!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Dickc wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Dickc wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:

I live in a city. You cannot even show a gun let alone shoot one without raising a ruckus!
understood...
mach es sehr schnell

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

f.a.s.t. wrote:

Thanks madhatter. Sorry to hear about the problems caused by the animals and you losing your crops f.a.s.t. I have some strawberry plants that everytime there are strawberries almost ready to be picked, some animal (probably a squirrel) eats before we can pick them.

I picked a bagful of tomatoes today. No way we will eat all of them. I will have to use some of them for sauce. I love tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes. It is so much sweeter than when you make sauce using tomatoes in a can. I had cut back the basil two weeks ago and made fresh pesto with it. It has regrown and needs to be cut again.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

I don't like to poison them. The poison ends up in their liver and kidneys. If they die out in the open another bird or animal will eat them. That bird or animal will end up with the poison in their liver and kidneys and die a slow and painful death. This is happening with birds and wildlife all over the world.

I need to try a large trap for the ground hog(s). I have no idea where they live. I read that they have numerous homes, staying in each one a day or two and then moving to another one, to avoid being stalked by foxes, fisher cats and coyotes. I would love to get them with my shotgun if I can, but I have only seen them one time. I though that maybe a deer was jumping over my electric fence at night, but there are no tracks or poop. My electric fence touches the ground all the around my garden and they have not dug a hole under the fence. They must not mind being "zapped" by the fence, knowing that they can eat all of my vegetables.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

f.a.s.t. wrote:I don't like to poison them. The poison ends up in their liver and kidneys. If they die out in the open another bird or animal will eat them. That bird or animal will end up with the poison in their liver and kidneys and die a slow and painful death. This is happening with birds and wildlife all over the world.

I need to try a large trap for the ground hog(s). I have no idea where they live. I read that they have numerous homes, staying in each one a day or two and then moving to another one, to avoid being stalked by foxes, fisher cats and coyotes. I would love to get them with my shotgun if I can, but I have only seen them one time. I though that maybe a deer was jumping over my electric fence at night, but there are no tracks or poop. My electric fence touches the ground all the around my garden and they have not dug a hole under the fence. They must not mind being "zapped" by the fence, knowing that they can eat all of my vegetables.
Get a large dog to patrol your yard, teach him to kill brown furry things that come in the yard. Eventually they will find another yard to eat in.