Greatest wrestler of all time Bruno Sammartino, RIP

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Greatest wrestler of all time Bruno Sammartino, RIP

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Another Pittsburgh Sports Legend:

I watched him on local TV when I was kid.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/othe ... 2001010030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Greatest wrestler of all time Bruno Sammartino, RIP

Post by Bubba »

He was a professional wrestler before the "sport" became a spectacle.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Yup, the good guy...my Uncle used to have an "in" at the old Boston Garden (seemed like he knew every worker there) so we used to go to the Saturday wrestling early, then the B's or C's later in the day and one time we got to go down in one of the hallways before one of the matches where they all gathered...the term "larger than life" fit well with Bruno.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

DES wrote:Yup, the good guy...my Uncle used to have an "in" at the old Boston Garden (seemed like he knew every worker there) so we used to go to the Saturday wrestling early, then the B's or C's later in the day and one time we got to go down in one of the hallways before one of the matches where they all gathered...the term "larger than life" fit well with Bruno.
Good story. I had something similar the first time I went to the Old Garden to a Celtics game. Walked in, saw these two huge swinging doors and opened one, it led right to the arena floor. We went through the doors right to courtside-base line where they had long tables with chairs for media. We sat right down at the tables and watched the entire game from there. No one ever said a word. After each quarter a person came around and handed a stat sheet to us. Great experience, especially for the first time ever at the Garden.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I believe I remember the doors you're talking about (they used to "casually" pull a drape across btw periods/half-times of games as the players walked by to the locker rooms)...nice first Garden experience! One time we got led right down to the front row "folding chairs" under the bucket for the 7th game of a playoff series, unfortunately the C's lost it for like their only time in decades.