Black Carver

These Three Towns Issue A Quarter Of The State's Traffic Fin

Post by rower »

http://www.tinyurl.com/ycxshy45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: These Three Towns Issue A Quarter Of The State's Traffic

Post by daytripper »

No surprise on the Plymouth tickets, I have noticed this year that I don't see the cop in Plymouth as much, lately I see him in Tyson.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Ms Doyle is very correct -

"When I go to bed there are blue lights, and when I wake up there are blue lights." — Bridgewater constable Collen Doyle

Doyle worries Bridgewater’s reputation as a speed trap dissuades visitors from spending money in town. “It’s anti-advertising,” he said. “I really think it has hurt our economics.”

Not to mention the part about DUIs - I wonder what that number is after a couple at the Long Trail.......
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

If you got a traffic ticket in Vermont last year, you’re not alone.

Law enforcement issued more than 24,000 tickets worth upwards of $4 million in fines to drivers in Vermont in 2017. A quarter were issued in just three Vermont towns: Plymouth, Bridgewater and Mount Tabor.

The top two towns, Plymouth and Bridgewater, have a couple of things in common. They both contract the Windsor County Sheriff's Department for speed enforcement services, and that department issues nearly three times as many tickets as any other law enforcement agency in the state.

And although Plymouth and Bridgewater are both on busy roads that ferry skiers to popular ski destinations, they only get about half as much traffic as highly traveled corridors like Route 100 near Stowe or Route 7 between Rutland and Burlington.

1. Plymouth, Vt.
Population: 619
Tickets issued: 2,352+
Total issued in traffic ticket fines: $415,620+
Total received in traffic ticket revenue in 2017: $220,969
Revenue to town per resident: $363
Amount spent on general law enforcement duties by Windsor County's Sheriff's Department (FY17): $221,938

Plymouth, Vermont issued more than $415,620 in traffic ticket fines in 2017 — more than any other town in Vermont. Most tickets were issued in a 35-mile-per-hour zone on Route 100. The state last reviewed the speed limit there in 1973. Since then, a handful of institutions have closed.

“There’s no ski mountain, no school, no store anymore, and nobody walks on the road,” said Plymouth resident Erica Bizaoui.
"Well in Plymouth, I think everybody has gotten pulled over there."

Many in Plymouth appreciate the low speed limit.

“Vermont Route 100 has been neglected,” said Ralph Michael, chair of Plymouth’s select board.

He sees fast moving vehicles swerve to avoid potholes, and fears especially for bicyclists. The enforcement, Michael said, is designed to protect their lives." We actually have bicycle tours that go through there," Michael said. "You can’t even stay on the edge of the road with a car!"
Right. Handing out 2,350 tickets during ski season is quite necessary to protect summer bicyclists. I'm sure the quarter Mil the town gets has nothing to do with it.
Killingtime
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Killingtime »

I'm surprised Ludlow didn't make an honorable mention. The Sheriff there always seem to have someone pulled over. Plymouth is the worst though. You just can't go over 35mph when crossing through.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

The Towns want it that way.

They basically get free police protection as their take offsets what they pay the SO.

The K Selectmen bitched a few years ago about not enough traffic tickets being issued by the then constables.

They wanted in on the easy money.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

A couple of strategically placed "Speed Trap Ahead" signs would help the tourists.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Good article Rower.

Doyle worries Bridgewater’s reputation as a speed trap dissuades visitors from spending money in town. “It’s anti-advertising,” he said. “I really think it has hurt our economics.”
Where is Happy Hour ?
bruceol
Green Skidder

Post by bruceol »

They are not protecting....THEY ARE COLLECTING !!!!!!!
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

A solution! do not speed through little towns people are trying to live their lives in! I never get a ticket. Some people blow through those towns at 50. I respect the people that live there and go maybe 5mph over the speed limit and never have a problem.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

I enjoy setting cruise control exactly on the speed limit so those impatient and unsuspecting will often pass me (with their lights, horn and the fingers often included). Have had many pulled over immediately in Bridgewater. I give them a nice smile on the way by. You are welcome local tax payers! Never got a ticket and never plan on it. :barebutt:
Ski It If You Can!..
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

GSKI wrote:A solution! do not speed through little towns people are trying to live their lives in! I never get a ticket. Some people blow through those towns at 50. I respect the people that live there and go maybe 5mph over the speed limit and never have a problem.
Usually the blowhards here mock you for saying that.

It's always been pretty simple, don't speed and you won't get a ticket.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

VT should be like Pennsylvania and not allow local cops to use radar guns.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

spanky wrote:VT should be like Pennsylvania and not allow local cops to use radar guns.

VT should be Germany - no speed limit. That would increase tourism for sure !
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

hillbangin wrote:
spanky wrote:VT should be like Pennsylvania and not allow local cops to use radar guns.

VT should be Germany - no speed limit. That would increase tourism for sure !
Large parts of Germany have speed limits.