Opening Day Wine Contest 2018

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Opening Day Wine Contest 2018

Post by Bubba »

Starting a bit late this year but, once again, it's time for this year's Killington Zone Opening Day Contest. For the price of a bottle of wine, priced in the range of $12 - $20, you get to enter your guess as to what date Killington will officially open for the season this Fall. It's not the day they blow out the mice, if they even bother to do so, it's the day they open for skiing and riding, even if it's just for pass holders and even if they have to close shortly thereafter. Here are the rules:

Each entrant must pick a date and state their wine offering. There can be more than one entry choosing the same date. The winner will be the person or persons who pick the date closest to the actual opening date without opening day having passed them by. (Example: Opening day is 11/1. There is an entry of 10/31 and another of 11/2. The winner is the person who guessed 11/2.) The winner(s) will receive half of the wine bottles; the other half will go toward a season opening party, the date and place to be determined. If opening day comes after the last entry date, there will be no winner and all of the wine will go toward drowning our depression about the late opening.

Entrants do not have to be of legal drinking age, however, if an underage entrant wins the contest, the wine will have to be picked up by a parent or guardian. (KillingtonZone does not condone nor contribute to underage drinking.)

Entries will be accepted through 2359 hours EDT on Wednesday, October 10, 2018. Contestants may change their entries up until the close of the contest after which all entries will be final.

Wine entries will be delivered to my house in Killington and will be held in my specially constructed, bomb and wino proof wine cellar until the wine party. The winner(s) will select their half of the entries at the party or before. As we have tried to do the past several years, the wine you pledge with your entry should be the wine delivered. "To Be Determined" as an entry is discouraged, although enforcing this as a hard rule has become a losing battle.

Post your dates and wines in this thread and I will record them. Please post your entry only. Admins reserve the right to remove or edit any posts deemed unrelated to this contest.

Please make sure to have your wine delivered to me no later than December 1st. Thank you.

Let the games begin!
[td=1,][b]Zoner[/b][/td][td=1,][b]Date[/b][/td][td=1,][b]Wine[/b][/td][td=1,][b]Delivered[/b][/td][td=1,]RustyK[/td][td=1,]October 19[/td][td=1,]Mount Snow White[/td][td=1,]WINNER[/td][td=1,]Southside_Bobby[/td][td=1,]October 24[/td][td=1,]Something red and French[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Tyrolean[/td][td=1,]October 26[/td][td=1,]Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]Mister Moose[/td][td=1,]October 27[/td][td=1,]Freakshow[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]rogman[/td][td=1,]October 29[/td][td=1,]Benziger Cab[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]Guy in Shorts[/td][td=1,]October 30[/td][td=1,]Vermont local whine[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]Finn[/td][td=1,]October 31[/td][td=1,]White[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]MrsG[/td][td=1,]November 1[/td][td=1,]Wine[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]Bubba[/td][td=1,]November 2[/td][td=1,]Dreaming Tree Crush[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]kram[/td][td=1,]November 3[/td][td=1,]Josh Cabernet Sauvignon[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Doria[/td][td=1,]November 7[/td][td=1,]14 Hands Chardonnay[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]Snowjob[/td][td=1,]November 8[/td][td=1,]Guigal Cotes du Rhone[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]ANGUS[/td][td=1,]November 9[/td][td=1,]Clos du Bois Chardonnay[/td][td=1,]***[/td]
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Opening Day Wine Contest 2018

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I am going to be optimistic and go with October 26.

Edit: Dork reminded me that I have to enter what kind of wine I will contribute/ It will be either a
Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot.
Last edited by tyrolean_skier on Sep 7th, '18, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Bubba wrote: Wine entries will be delivered to my house in Killington
I intend to deliver my entry to your kitchen counter in Mendon. My date is TBD, my wine is also TBD. Mostly because I don’t give a crap about your “rules”. I’ll probably just crash Ty’s party anyway.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote:
Bubba wrote: Wine entries will be delivered to my house in Killington
I intend to deliver my entry to your kitchen counter in Mendon. My date is TBD, my wine is also TBD. Mostly because I don’t give a crap about your “rules”. I’ll probably just crash Ty’s party anyway.
Kitchen counter is in Killington. The table, however, is in Mendon.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Okay then, I’ll deliver it to your kitchen table. Yellow Tail Chardonnay because Mr Moose and Finn both recommend it. October 10th. That way I can lose twice. Three times if you count having to drink that swill.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: Yellow Tail Chardonnay because Mr Moose and Finn both recommend it.
I reported on Yellowtail. I recommend Rombauer.

October 27. Freakshow. Yeah, it's a wine. Cab Sauv. Bubba might like it.
Last edited by Mister Moose on Sep 8th, '18, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I'm going with November 2nd, Dreaming Tree Crush.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Friday October 19th...Walking the stairs in both directions.

Wine selection? Mount Snow White.

Because Red never looks good on the snow!
Mt Snow.jpg
Mt Snow.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Oct 30 Vermont local whine
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

RustyK wrote:Friday October 19th...Walking the stairs in both directions.

Mt Snow.jpg
You just want to mount Snow White!
ImageImageImageImage
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Stormchaser wrote:

Mt Snow.jpg
Better than Snow Red!
Where is Happy Hour ?
Doria
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Doria »

Nov 7th, 14 Hands Chardonnay....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Opening Day Whine Contest 2018

Post by madhatter »

who had yesterday? the whining about copyrights and stolen photos has to be considered the opening day...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
kram
Green Skidder

Post by kram »

Im going with November 3th = Josh Cabernet Sauvignon
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

Stormchaser wrote:

Mt Snow.jpg
You gonna post an entry or just bomb this post?

November 8th. Guigal Cotes du Rhone, current vintage, which I'm pretty sure is 2014.

When the 2015's ship you should try one. It's supposed to be a fabulous vintage, and Guigal is a reliable producer. It seems the 2016's are also a great vintage in the Rhone.

I'll deliver the wine to your counter top in Mendon, because that's closer! :P