Job openings

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Job openings

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Bumper

Re: Job openings

Post by 180 »

Just a few openings....
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

I'm ready...

Job Title
Massage Therapist 2018-19
Description of Duties
Needed at the Killington Grand Spa.

Part time, and Part time on call positions available.

Approximate Start Date of Position
Sep 1, 2018
Approximate End Date of Position
May 1, 2019
Estimated Number of Positions
Employment Status
Part Time - Seasonal

Requirements
Must be certified from an accredited massage school/center with a minimum of 50 hours of education/training. Requires exemplary customer service skills. Must be able to perform 25, 50, and 80 minute comprehensive Swedish massage, using professional draping techniques, additional knowledge of other techniques are preferable. ;)
Where is Happy Hour ?
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Estimated number of positions:

Snowmaker - 32

Snowmaking Set-up Driver - 4

Snowmaking Set-up Staff - 3

Snowmaking Hill Chief - 7

Snowmaking Operations Foreman - 3

Snowmaking Compressor/Pump Tender - 4

Snowmaking Pump/Compressor Mechanic - 1
----------------------------------------------------------

Park & Pipe - 3

Ticket Checker - 19

Groomer (operator) - 19

Lift Operator - 106

Lift Operations Team Leader - 3
Downdraft
Black Carver

Post by Downdraft »

The dude above that posted the numbers of open for each department. That’s hard to believe and if true, not saying you’re wrong, just hard to wrap my head around.

Full grooming crew is 30 maybe. They still need 2/3?’ Wow. That’s going to be rough.

Ski areas across the country are all in similar shape. You can’t find workers. Low pay and seasonal just don’t attract anyone. Especially in middle nowhere Vermont even harder.

Good luck to them.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Downdraft wrote:The dude above that posted the numbers of open for each department. That’s hard to believe and if true, not saying you’re wrong, just hard to wrap my head around.

Full grooming crew is 30 maybe. They still need 2/3?’ Wow. That’s going to be rough.

Ski areas across the country are all in similar shape. You can’t find workers. Low pay and seasonal just don’t attract anyone. Especially in middle nowhere Vermont even harder.

Good luck to them.
Two grooming shifts per night during full season. Maybe there is a cap how many hours they are allowed to work?

Just says estimated number of positions, not whether they still need to be filled or not.
jobs.jpg
jobs.jpg (153.18 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
whumber
Beginner On Rentals

Post by whumber »

Downdraft wrote:The dude above that posted the numbers of open for each department. That’s hard to believe and if true, not saying you’re wrong, just hard to wrap my head around.

Good luck to them.
I think there's some mix of the total number of positions and the number of open positions. For instance, there's no way they're looking for another 350 ski instructors.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound

Post by ME2VTSkier »

If 6000 skiers show up, and 1-2% want a lesson, that's 60-120 lessons. How many instructors do it full time?
There are full time-seasonal, part time-seasonal and temporary positions available.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:If 6000 skiers show up, and 1-2% want a lesson, that's 60-120 lessons. How many instructors do it full time?
There are full time-seasonal, part time-seasonal and temporary positions available.
yeah it's amazing how many instructors a mtn has on its payroll over the course of a season...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Last I knew there were only 26 cats on the mountain between K an Pico.. Call it 28 now. Not all of those go out on 2 shifts. They do have more cats but not as part of the grooming fleet. Chef cat and motor room. I can see why they are short handed in that department. The pay is not worth it for entry level. Any idiot can till. Blade skills are key. Good help is hard to find in this economy. If you're a new guy you get minimal hours. Seasonal work. Top dog works year round. He can make it. Also films up good for Killingtons promo you tube videos. Go Corey go! :Toast
whumber
Beginner On Rentals

Post by whumber »

ME2VTSkier wrote:If 6000 skiers show up, and 1-2% want a lesson, that's 60-120 lessons. How many instructors do it full time?
You're probably looking at more like 10-20 lessons in that scenario as lesson groups tend to be around 5 people, especially on the kids side. The number of private lessons is pretty small percentage wise, most of the volume is learn to ski/ride lessons for adults and full day lessons (i.e. babysitting) for kids. Not that many full timers, mostly weekend warriors, especially for instructors under 50. I would be surprised if there were more than 10 full time instructors younger than 40. Current numbers were something like 320 instructors at the initial instructor orientation which does not include those who only work the UK groups that come later in the season; I'm guessing the current number of instructor is somewhere in the 400 range which is why I doubt that they're looking for another 350 people.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Ski areas struggling to staff up for winter.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/11/25/ski-are ... -286700865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe