where would you move

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

lotto and i retire tomorrow ... when i retire by natural means, i'd do the summit county thing. really like the town of frisco. the skiing ... check doc's list. while they don't get as much as snow as some other locales, i find the snow holds up better. however i would vacation at those other locales a LOT. other than vail never had any problem with crowds and the 'trails' we ski don't get much traffic at all. if i was there right now, i'd be doing the a-basin thing. would i miss killington ... doubt it.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

Assuming i retire with a very large nest egg, i would still choose to live in vermont. Waitsfield most likely. But i would invest in a summer home/condo on Kauai. and travel for sure. but i would stay east just to be close to family during the winter. more than likely none of that is going to happen but i can dream.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Mister Moose wrote:But I don't have the urge to move to retire. Maybe because I don't plan on retiring. I am self employed, and I hope to stay active in the business world until they send me to the home.

I do think I'll take more time off, ski, travel, etc. But I'm happy right where I am.
I'm with you on all of that. Right here I have lakes, mountains, the ocean...it's all good. When I slow down, gonna take a month or so out west to ski, maybe some time in Florida to do some boating, then back here for spring skiing and summer on Winnipesaukee with side trips to the coast of Maine.

Wow - these plans are gonna make it tough to concentrate on work now!
kvtskibum
Blue Chatterbox

cool question

Post by kvtskibum »

Some where cool and cheap so I could travel alot. Something a bit off the beaten path that has character. Hopefully it has a OK hill close by to get the joneses out between trips. A few years ago I thought West Dover was it. Maybe NH. I love Steamboat, but its really isolated. Any ideas?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: cool question

Post by Mister Moose »

kvtskibum wrote:Some where cool and cheap so I could travel alot. Something a bit off the beaten path that has character. Hopefully it has a OK hill close by to get the joneses out between trips. A few years ago I thought West Dover was it. Maybe NH. I love Steamboat, but its really isolated. Any ideas?
cool and cheap - rare
off the beaten path, but not isolated - see military intelligence.
Dedo En Mi Chili
Black Carver

Post by Dedo En Mi Chili »

mi would move to Patagonia....saw it in el Ski magazine....
la cosa que me gusta más es panochita

Dedo En Mi Chili
Black Carver

Post by Dedo En Mi Chili »

Silli dedo.....i should have said I would move to Chile
la cosa que me gusta más es panochita

ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

interesting dayream of a thread. i too, like most of you in this thread have thought about this. I've always said a suburb of Portland, Or. you have summer skiing at Timberline, winter skiing at Mt. Hood Meadows, plus the near viscinity of quite a few large snowfall ski areas and the ocean is witin very close proxminity of Portland as well. not to mention that it's a cool city.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Anywhere thats 1/2 hr. drive or less to a big ski area and also the same distance drive to the Ocean!
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Atomic1 wrote:Anywhere thats 1/2 hr. drive or less to a big ski area and also the same distance drive to the Ocean!
Hmm....

Somewhere like Poland Springs, Maine where you're halfway between Portland and Sunday River.

Christchurch, NZ meets that criteria fairly well. You're right on the ocean and Mt Hutt is an hour and change away. You could split the distance and live on a farm with 100,000 sheep.

Santiago, Chile. The ocean isn't all that far and Portillo & Valle Nevado are a couple of hours.

West Vancouver almost meets that criteria. You're right on the ocean. You have several local hills in your back yard and Whistler/Blackcomb about 80 or 90 minutes away. Technially, Squamish is on salt water and is only 30 minutes from Whistler but I'm not sure I'd want to live there.

Le Massif/Mt St Anne in Quebec City. The St Lawrence is right there (it's salt water by the time you're that far east).

You could live on the Riviera in Nice and drive an hour or so to Isola.

From Seattle, Snoqualmie and Stevens Pass are an hour.
skiladi
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by skiladi »

2knees wrote:Assuming i retire with a very large nest egg, i would still choose to live in vermont. Waitsfield most likely. But i would invest in a summer home/condo on Kauai. and travel for sure. but i would stay east just to be close to family during the winter. more than likely none of that is going to happen but i can dream.
I also love New England and family and friends are here. With a new home under construction in NH and my condo in VT I guess that seals the deal.
I would love to travel more. I have family in Hawaii and I have never been so that is a dream of mine. And skiing the Tasman glacier in NZ is another but if I had to choose a new place to live and retire to with skiing as a priority and retirement as a focus it would be in the Canadian Rockies , most likely Fernie , BC. I haven't stopped thinking about skiing there since I went 4 years ago. ; }
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Geoff wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:Anywhere thats 1/2 hr. drive or less to a big ski area and also the same distance drive to the Ocean!
Hmm....

Somewhere like Poland Springs, Maine where you're halfway between Portland and Sunday River.

Christchurch, NZ meets that criteria fairly well. You're right on the ocean and Mt Hutt is an hour and change away. You could split the distance and live on a farm with 100,000 sheep.

Santiago, Chile. The ocean isn't all that far and Portillo & Valle Nevado are a couple of hours.

West Vancouver almost meets that criteria. You're right on the ocean. You have several local hills in your back yard and Whistler/Blackcomb about 80 or 90 minutes away. Technially, Squamish is on salt water and is only 30 minutes from Whistler but I'm not sure I'd want to live there.

Le Massif/Mt St Anne in Quebec City. The St Lawrence is right there (it's salt water by the time you're that far east).

You could live on the Riviera in Nice and drive an hour or so to Isola.

From Seattle, Snoqualmie and Stevens Pass are an hour.
The 1st one sounds great! I actually had the chance to relocate with the company into North Berwick Maine recently BUT my wife said not till our daughter graduated high School.
Geoff, sounds like you know your way around! YUP my 2 loves are Big Mtn. skiing and the Ocean,in that order!
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

anyone ever been to Le Massif or neighboring Mt. St. Anne?
they are pretty neat ski areas. Le Massif is the only place that i've had the chance to ski and see a major maritime body of water. wierd seeing icebergs when skiing.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

ozzy wrote:anyone ever been to Le Massif or neighboring Mt. St. Anne?
they are pretty neat ski areas. Le Massif is the only place that i've had the chance to ski and see a major maritime body of water. wierd seeing icebergs when skiing.
The Camden Snow Bowl has a killer view of Penobscot Bay. Much smaller than Mt St Anne or Le Massif.

Le Massif and Mt St Anne are a pretty cool trip since you can stay in Quebec City. Before the US dollar tanked, you could stay at the Chateau Frontenac, one of the best hotels in Canada, for Turn of the River Lodge prices. They run a shuttle to Mt St Anne (a 30 minute ride) and Le Massif is a little more than an hour drive.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

ozzy wrote:anyone ever been to Le Massif or neighboring Mt. St. Anne?
I was at Mount St Anne a long time ago. Conditons were same old same old, it still is the east coast. At the time most of what they had were Poma lifts... and the advanced terrain was served by the fastest Poma I have ever seen, and probably will ever see.

They loaded with a cattle chute planked up 8 feet high. When they asked "Are you ready?" you had better be ready before you say yes. The initial pull is so strong you are lifted off the ground and pulled forward at the same time. The cattle chute went 30 feet past the loading area to keep your skiis straight until you were back on the ground. Quite the ride. (Wasn't 4 G's though)
Last edited by Mister Moose on May 22nd, '05, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.