1 Million Vertical Club

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

biged
Slalom Racer

1 Million Vertical Club

Post by biged »

Since Killington is using the RFID at most of its gates know, how about a 1 million vertical club. If your not retired the 100 day club is difficult to get into. A 1 million vertical club is doable for a weekend warrior who skis and works. Just leave the canyon and Northridge out of the equation. It can be easily calculated with the new RFID when all of the gates are working properly. Anyone else think this is a good idea for a season? Maybe more people reach this number then I realize in a season and it is pointless. Anyone have an opinion?
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Re: 1 Million Vertical Club

Post by Kpdemello »

Had a buddy who tracked vert. 1 mil is possible for a weekend warrior but it's not easy. 20k a day is a big day, and you need 50 of those.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Kpdemello wrote:Had a buddy who tracked vert. 1 mil is possible for a weekend warrior but it's not easy. 20k a day is a big day, and you need 50 of those.
That's 17 runs on the Superstar quad. 10 before lunch and 7 after. Not that high a bar, especially if you knock off 10 before 10am when it's smooth.

Guess you never heard of the "Atomic 40".
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Hang with Scott Howard a few weeks and you'd crack a million .. easy.
In addition .. there are devices called altimeters.

K building an app for this is hard to fathom.
They barely have a website.

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Used a Garmin watch for a while would prefer if K had an app. With the watch I saw that most people's top speed posted was way to fast using phone apps.
Very few people can do the atomic 40.
10 by 10 Is common, then a drink in the bar, one or two more runs and your day is done or you need to go to work.
The reason why you can find a parking spot in bay 2 at noon.
Curious to know the total vertical compared to how many days skied.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Vail Resorts has been doing this since 2010. Google EpicMix. They have sensors on all lifts, not just the ones they scan for valid passes at the bases. You get a report at the end of the day with lots of data including vertical feet. System works well.

FWIW I checked my EpicMix account and it shows I've logged 103 days at Breck and Keystone since 2010 with over 2.2 million vertical feet, so about 22,000 per day on average.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

20k a day at Killington is 15-20 runs, depending on what you do. For my crew, on a normal mid-season weekend with lift lines and what not, that's usually a ~8am start with a ~3pm finish with a couple of breaks in between. If you do nothing but hammer quick runs at short lift lines it can be done in 4 hours or so, maybe less, but that's not an easy feat to manage on a busy weekend.

If you want to hit 1 mil, as a weekend warrior, you have to do that every weekend both days and you can't miss very many. There's only 25-30 weekends during the regular season if you include Nov and May. That means you have to stay out there and hammer out your 20k vert for 80-90% of Killington's operating weekends - in the r*in, in the cold, in the ice, early season when there's 2 runs open and late season when you've only got Superstar. Not impossible, sure, but not easy. It takes a real commitment to put in the time and make it happen.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I average 70 days with around 60 at Killington, not too hard to get 1 mil since the crummy 10 run days with r*in or -10 deg are picked up by the many good to great days with 20-25 runs. Throw in the other 10 non-Killington days and 1 mil is not a problem. Our posse aims for 10 by 10 and if not a holiday then 20 by twelve is possible. Early season North Ridge days are only about 10,000-12,000 vert but the mid season big days make up for them.

I also look at the run count, can exceed 1,000 runs a year pretty easily. With 60-70 day seasons you should reach 1,200-1,400 chairlift rides. Lucky to never get roped down off a chair in all those rides. Hoping I haven't jinxed that!

The S6 will up the daily numbers, or maybe just compress the same runs & vertical into a shorter time period.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

I never ski more than 3-4 hrs a day, rarely more than 20k in a day...I get about 60 -70 days and a million vert...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

20k a day is very doable. Yesterday I wasn't out until almost 9:30. Fooled around with my buddy at the demos. had lunch at the peak, quit before 2pm and did over 22k according to my garmin smartwatch. For me a typical mid season day a K is 25k vertical. At Epic resorts there are RFID scanners at every lift. At the end of the day you can tell where you skied on the mountain and vertical. I also enjoyed the photos they take of you and your group attached to your Epic pass that you can download at a very reasonable price. I'm sure Killington will be doing more with the RFID system in coming seasons. For now a GPS watch or app on your smartphone can give you statistics and syncing your device to various web applications will save your seasonal data.
snow4all
Blue Chatterbox

Post by snow4all »

Certainly doable and not needing to blow yourself up doing it. Go out at 8 and done by 3 with 30 min coffee break and 30-45 min lunch. Last two years I averaged a little over 700K and ski mostly Saturdays for the most part (32 days) with a ski week mixed in and then both weekend days once the spring pass kicks in. This year I am looking to break the 1M marker since I plan to ski both weekend days more frequently now that I have a pass for all of the season. Either way I have a great time and it gives me some added incentive to get out there no matter what.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Here's a fun question: what's easier, hitting 100 days as a retired person or 1 mil vert as a weekend warrior who works for a living? :lol:
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:Here's a fun question: what's easier, hitting 100 days as a retired person or 1 mil vert as a weekend warrior who works for a living? :lol:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I’d ski about 50 or so days a year and about 500k vert as a weekend warrior. Skiing 25k vertical in a day isn’t hard, particularly if you stick to groomers. I typically don’t. However, unless you’re of the younger persuasion it beats you up after a while. 40 days of 25k each is tough. Regardless, I doubt a million vertical club suits Killington’s business interests, but that’s just my opinion. However there are people that go to the peak, sit at the bar, and ride down. That may not be “fair”, but is more aligned with their goals, so not my problem. Count it, I say.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

If you just sit and ride the K1, with an hour off for lunch and breaks, you can do 100k a day.