World Trade Centers

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
spanky wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I guess if you want to be bold...you can say it doesn't matter what floor you're on....when a tower falls it falls....it doesn't just spare the first 50 floors. When looking at it this way....I see no problem in occupants filling the 110 story WTC's

E
Sorry dude, but this just screams ignorance. Think about how many people were trapped above the impact zone on September 11.

As a matter of fact, a quick google yielded these statistics... http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/rele ... cation.htm
But then what about 90 stories....you have a possible 10 stories of trapped people...what about 50 stories....you might have 10 stories of trapped people...what about the White House...it's a target with a possible one story full of people trapped...or the pentagon...I could go on and on.

My point? I don't think all our big skyscrappers should not use the last 15 floors because of some crazy middle easterns....we should live life how we always have...free and proud

E

Its not the size of the building its the effective movement of the evacuee's...

The worst was the handicapped (is that still pc these days)...physically challenged I guess is better. No elevators, and people had to make their way down staircases that were so smoky no one could see. Could you imagine trying to do this in a wheel chair? Or trying to carry the guy next to you cuz he was in a wheelchair? The whole problem was a flawed escape plan, or a grossly misrepresented one. The need those inflatable slides that they have on airplanes, 4 per floor, 1 one each side of the building. Fire alarm goes off...windows open, slides unroll and inflatev. Tell me that wouldn't be the ride of a lifetime...
ImageImageImageImage
skitiger
Bumper

Post by skitiger »

An additional problem relates to the NY/NJ Port Authority's unwillingness to again be a major tenant. When the towers were originally built, the promise that they would not be a detriment to the private real estate community was first made, then ignored. The buildings were significantly empty until the port authority occupied c. 20+% of the buildings.

The port authority does not need EXPENSIVE [say taxpayers costs] space for its operations. It wants to stay where it is now. This has made Gov. Pataki mad. NJ can also veto it - this will also make him mad, but NJ can be bought.

To be continued ...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Stormchaser wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
spanky wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I guess if you want to be bold...you can say it doesn't matter what floor you're on....when a tower falls it falls....it doesn't just spare the first 50 floors. When looking at it this way....I see no problem in occupants filling the 110 story WTC's

E
Sorry dude, but this just screams ignorance. Think about how many people were trapped above the impact zone on September 11.

As a matter of fact, a quick google yielded these statistics... http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/rele ... cation.htm
But then what about 90 stories....you have a possible 10 stories of trapped people...what about 50 stories....you might have 10 stories of trapped people...what about the White House...it's a target with a possible one story full of people trapped...or the pentagon...I could go on and on.

My point? I don't think all our big skyscrappers should not use the last 15 floors because of some crazy middle easterns....we should live life how we always have...free and proud

E

The worst was the handicapped (is that still pc these days)...physically challenged I guess is better. No elevators, and people had to make their way down staircases that were so smoky no one could see. Could you imagine trying to do this in a wheel chair? Or trying to carry the guy next to you cuz he was in a wheelchair? The whole problem was a flawed escape plan, or a grossly misrepresented one. The need those inflatable slides that they have on airplanes, 4 per floor, 1 one each side of the building. Fire alarm goes off...windows open, slides unroll and inflatev. Tell me that wouldn't be the ride of a lifetime...
We're talking about apples an oranges...I'm addressing what Storm said.

I guess the dumb question is...how do you make the 110th floor accessible via wheel chair without an elevator? I'm not sure.....but I think due to the exceptional circumstances this happend in....I don't propose all these big buildings in philly/la/chicago/miami/NYC/etc should stay low enough so wheel chair handicapped people can access all the floors.

I'm certain the "new" design will be design better and stonger and be suited for a direct plane hit. After all...when has trump just built anything "standard". I'd bet that these new WTC's are better, stronger, and more expensive than any other building on earth....that's just how Trump is.

Another off the beaten path question....why not have missile launchers embedded in the roof of the WTC or in the side of the towers?

E
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
spanky wrote:

E

E

We're talking about apples an oranges...I'm addressing what Storm said.

I guess the dumb question is...how do you make the 110th floor accessible via wheel chair without an elevator? I'm not sure.....but I think due to the exceptional circumstances this happend in....I don't propose all these big buildings in philly/la/chicago/miami/NYC/etc should stay low enough so wheel chair handicapped people can access all the floors.

I'm certain the "new" design will be design better and stonger and be suited for a direct plane hit. After all...when has trump just built anything "standard". I'd bet that these new WTC's are better, stronger, and more expensive than any other building on earth....that's just how Trump is.

Another off the beaten path question....why not have missile launchers embedded in the roof of the WTC or in the side of the towers?

E
For that matter, how about a giant forcefield that knocks down anything within 1000 yards. Or remote over-ride of all airplane controls from air traffic control? I mean, we have drone aircraft...why not eliminate pilots from the aircraft all together and keep them on the ground???
ImageImageImageImage
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Another off the beaten path question....why not have missile launchers embedded in the roof of the WTC or in the side of the towers?

E

Wow! You really are a piece of work! To Dork's point, I don't think many people who were in the city that day are going to volunteer to occupy the upper floors. I'm happily on the 9th Floor of an old, rock-solid building now. I don't miss being downtown. Free and proud are wonderful things, but to ignore the fact that things in the world are crazy now is short-sighted. I have no problem not being in a land mark.

As for the missles? I'm not sure why I'm even acknowledging this, but think about it. There is a jetliner busting down the west side of Manhattan at 500+ mph. It's going for a building. Missle command at the new WTC is at full alert. Now think about the repercussions of blowing up a fully fueled jetliner at low altitude over one of the most densely populated places in the United States.

Do you see this ending well? I'm thinking scattered fiery debris is not all that better of an alternative. Call me crazy.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Another off the beaten path question....why not have missile launchers embedded in the roof of the WTC or in the side of the towers?

E

Wow! You really are a piece of work! To Dork's point, I don't think many people who were in the city that day are going to volunteer to occupy the upper floors. I'm happily on the 9th Floor of an old, rock-solid building now. I don't miss being downtown. Free and proud are wonderful things, but to ignore the fact that things in the world are crazy now is short-sighted. I have no problem not being in a land mark.

As for the missles? I'm not sure why I'm even acknowledging this, but think about it. There is a jetliner busting down the west side of Manhattan at 500+ mph. It's going for a building. Missle command at the new WTC is at full alert. Now think about the repercussions of blowing up a fully fueled jetliner at low altitude over one of the most densely populated places in the United States.

Do you see this ending well? I'm thinking scattered fiery debris is not all that better of an alternative. Call me crazy.
The approach most likely wouldn't be down the length of Manhattan, but more likely over water, so the fallout probably wouldn't be too bad, unless the plane changed course to come in over the city. How about a self destruct button in the plane and at air traffic control?
ImageImageImageImage
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Another off the beaten path question....why not have missile launchers embedded in the roof of the WTC or in the side of the towers?

E
why not a giant Laser

andijoy
Green Skidder

Post by andijoy »

Better question is why is Donald Trump saying what should be done? If he feels so strongly about it, why didn't he bid on it in the first place? Who is he to be making declarations long after the fact? He missed his chance, and now he's sol. There's a lot more here than just rebuilding office towers. And, I completely agree with others here -who is really going to want to work (or worse, live) on the highest floors after what happened? 50 years from now, maybe. But right now, it's too fresh in too many people's minds.

Per CNN - lots of others feel the same way - http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/18/wtc.trump/index.html

Best quote in this article: "I think the challenge of Ground Zero goes beyond anyone's individual ego, and the problem of Donald Trump is he's never gone beyond his own individual ego," said Paul Goldberger, dean of Parsons School of Design and the architecture critic for The New Yorker.

"Everything he's produced is ultimately about Donald Trump, and we need a solution at Ground Zero that's going to be about New York, about America and about healing of the city -- and Trump I don't think is suited to that," Goldberger said.
- aj
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Cityskier wrote:

E

Lol...it was a question to throw out there...I'm not serious.

I think more people would be killed if the plane hit the building vs. the plane being blown up...depending where its shot down. I presume the WTC could be built with strong material...or a stronger shell

E
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Stormchaser wrote:
Cityskier wrote:

E

The approach most likely wouldn't be down the length of Manhattan, but more likely over water, so the fallout probably wouldn't be too bad, unless the plane changed course to come in over the city. How about a self destruct button in the plane and at air traffic control?
Specific to Manhatten, unless the approach is over the Atlantic or the middle of LI Sound, shooting down a jetliner doing 500mph will result in significant casualties on the ground. The debris field would be miles long.

Mounting anti aircraft systems on buildings is one of the most uniformly stupid ideas going. Much better, safer and cheaper is making sure the plane doesn't get hijacked in the first place.

The specific proposal that Trump's backing has been around for years. Donald's just trying to get his mug in the paper again.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Latest news on Yahoo! is that Trump's proposal has been vehemently shot down by the ruling committee.

Either way, the gumption that we should send a big FU to the terrorists in the form of another giant tower in NY is nothing more than an invitation for another attack.

Nearly 4 years after the horrible destruction of the twin towers, it seems as though common sense is starting to sink in; humble safety is better than proud arrogance. What is so prestigious about working in a landmark -- especially one that dares those who hate us to attack us again?

It's very interesting that support for rebuilding on the site is finally generating conversation and debate as to what really happened back in 2001, and how we should move on from it.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

ski_adk wrote:Latest news on Yahoo! is that Trump's proposal has been vehemently shot down by the ruling committee.

Either way, the gumption that we should send a big FU to the terrorists in the form of another giant tower in NY is nothing more than an invitation for another attack.

Nearly 4 years after the horrible destruction of the twin towers, it seems as though common sense is starting to sink in; humble safety is better than proud arrogance. What is so prestigious about working in a landmark -- especially one that dares those who hate us to attack us again?

It's very interesting that support for rebuilding on the site is finally generating conversation and debate as to what really happened back in 2001, and how we should move on from it.
don't go outside
don't go to the mall
no more skyscapers
don't visit DC
don't go inside the pentagon
don't go to oklahoma city
forget going to the olympics

we can't do the above because of these terrorists...I for one am not going to let them stop me from doing as I please...I'm amazed that some of you will let them dictate our architecture, tourism, airlines, freedom.

Yes, airline security needs some major work...Yes, we need to better defend our country....but bowing down to the terrorists and making all our buildings 60 stories or lower is just ridiculous in my point of view.

I went to the Empire State Building....80+ floors up. Not once did I think I was in danger, not once did I think...boy this building is too high..gotta watch out for terrorists...

I dunno..but people bowing down to the terrorists just like they want you to just angers me

E
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I dunno..but people bowing down to the terrorists just like they want you to just angers me

E
If you were unlucky enough to either be inside or witness the destruction of those buildings lke many of us were - you may be singing a different tune right now..

Bumper stickers saying crap about terrorists not winning are one thing...
Having to live with the day to day reality of that event is something completely different....

I STILL know people that are messed up from that day..
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

we should send a big FU to the terrorists in the form of another giant tower
I can think of a much better FU than that.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

yeti wrote:
we should send a big FU to the terrorists in the form of another giant tower
I can think of a much better FU than that.
How about catching Bin Laden to start with....