Post Op Doc Appt #1 for ACL

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post Op Doc Appt #1 for ACL

Post by Mtn Man »

Post op doc appt #1 today, 9 days post op:

They seemed pretty happy with the results. Had an xray, they showed me the bio screws in my leg and explained the ortho pics they gave me the day of the surgery. Looks like they cleaned up the knee quite well, inside out out. They took out the stitches. they actually only had a stitch on each side of the knee, then one long subcutaneous stitch down the middle of the knee (about 2") and that was it. They said that they've become less invasive over the years, and that they stitched it up so I wouldn't even have a scar :eek: I was actually looking forward to having that scar/badge of courage on my knee, I guess I shoulda told them that before going in :lol:

So they told me do as much CPM and Cold Therapy as possible before they take the machine away (1-2 weeks more of it) and go to PT twice a week. PT is trying to sign out a stim handheld for me so I can use it on off days. They ordered a Donjoy knee brace(hinged) that prevents your knee from going past a certain angle that you preset. They told me that once I get on that in about a week, I shouldn't need crutches. I've heard that before, so I'm not holding my breathe just yet. The knee is still a little unstable when I put my weight on it and there is still a little pain involved in that too. No percs today though, just hitting the Advil and Naproxen now.

I guess a general question to anyone who's had this, how long before you were off crutches, how long on the CPM and Cold Therapy? Anyone go through this less invasive procedure (two small incisions on each side of knee, one port up top on quad, and 2" incision down center of patellar)?

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Post Op Doc Appt #1 for ACL

Post by Stormchaser »

Mtn Man wrote:Post op doc appt #1 today, 9 days post op:

They seemed pretty happy with the results. Had an xray, they showed me the bio screws in my leg and explained the ortho pics they gave me the day of the surgery. Looks like they cleaned up the knee quite well, inside out out. They took out the stitches. they actually only had a stitch on each side of the knee, then one long subcutaneous stitch down the middle of the knee (about 2") and that was it. They said that they've become less invasive over the years, and that they stitched it up so I wouldn't even have a scar :eek: I was actually looking forward to having that scar/badge of courage on my knee, I guess I shoulda told them that before going in :lol:

So they told me do as much CPM and Cold Therapy as possible before they take the machine away (1-2 weeks more of it) and go to PT twice a week. PT is trying to sign out a stim handheld for me so I can use it on off days. They ordered a Donjoy knee brace(hinged) that prevents your knee from going past a certain angle that you preset. They told me that once I get on that in about a week, I shouldn't need crutches. I've heard that before, so I'm not holding my breathe just yet. The knee is still a little unstable when I put my weight on it and there is still a little pain involved in that too. No percs today though, just hitting the Advil and Naproxen now.

I guess a general question to anyone who's had this, how long before you were off crutches, how long on the CPM and Cold Therapy? Anyone go through this less invasive procedure (two small incisions on each side of knee, one port up top on quad, and 2" incision down center of patellar)?

B)

Heh, you said port.
ImageImageImageImage
kickstand
Blue Chatterbox

Post by kickstand »

I was off crutches in about 2 weeks, although I tried not to walk very far. Wasn't until about 3-4 weeks that I felt totally comfortable without them. Cold therapy was about 2 weeks, as well. Never went on a CPM. I did all my therapy on my own. Something like 4 times a day, bending and flexing from all different angles.

as for the invasiveness, I had done some research and talked to people ahead of time, and I was expecting to see a 2-3" scar, plus 3 small holes around the knee. What I got was a 2-3" scar, 2 holes around the knee, and a tiny scab about 1/2 way up my thigh. I asked the doc about this. Turns out, the new way they pull the ligament into place is to run a wire down the inside of your leg and pull it into place. It's one less scar on your knee. I can barely see one of the holes around my knee, and I definitely can't find the one on my thigh.
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

I had my surgery 10 years ago so the rehab was a little different. Surgery on Wednesday, PT started the next Monday for 3 days a week. No cruches after 2 weeks. It was my right knee so I couldn't drive until I had enough range of motion - about one month. Surgery was on March 15 and was playing golf and riding my road bike by May 1. Didn't get my knee brace until Novemeber. Starting skiing day after Thanksgiving. Doctor OK'ed skiing without the brace mid-January.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

kickstand wrote:I was off crutches in about 2 weeks, although I tried not to walk very far. Wasn't until about 3-4 weeks that I felt totally comfortable without them. Cold therapy was about 2 weeks, as well. Never went on a CPM. I did all my therapy on my own. Something like 4 times a day, bending and flexing from all different angles.

as for the invasiveness, I had done some research and talked to people ahead of time, and I was expecting to see a 2-3" scar, plus 3 small holes around the knee. What I got was a 2-3" scar, 2 holes around the knee, and a tiny scab about 1/2 way up my thigh. I asked the doc about this. Turns out, the new way they pull the ligament into place is to run a wire down the inside of your leg and pull it into place. It's one less scar on your knee. I can barely see one of the holes around my knee, and I definitely can't find the one on my thigh.
Sounds like you had the same procedure as I did. They explained it the same way, just pulling up the ACL through the port in my thigh. They didn't even stitch that, just have a band aid on a small hole. Pretty cool stuff! Can't wait to get off the crutches again though. How much time did you take off from work? I put in for 2 with a posiibility of 3 if need be.
B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Dude, they actually removed your stitches???

My doc told me that mine would either dissolve or work themselves out after a while. Well, like 6 weeks after surgery, a small, itchy pimple appeared on the scar. Of course I scratched it...and guess what...there was a little piece of string in it. So, of course, I pulled it...it was like 4 inches long!!!

Where is this story going??? I have no idea. Just keep an eye out for hidden strings I guess.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ski_adk wrote:Dude, they actually removed your stitches???

My doc told me that mine would either dissolve or work themselves out after a while. Well, like 6 weeks after surgery, a small, itchy pimple appeared on the scar. Of course I scratched it...and guess what...there was a little piece of string in it. So, of course, I pulled it...it was like 4 inches long!!!

Where is this story going??? I have no idea. Just keep an eye out for hidden strings I guess.
Ew
ImageImageImageImage
kickstand
Blue Chatterbox

Post by kickstand »

Mtn Man wrote: Sounds like you had the same procedure as I did. They explained it the same way, just pulling up the ACL through the port in my thigh. They didn't even stitch that, just have a band aid on a small hole. Pretty cool stuff! Can't wait to get off the crutches again though. How much time did you take off from work? I put in for 2 with a posiibility of 3 if need be.
B)
I think I had put in for 2 weeks short-term, but end up working from home for the 3rd week. I came off STD for that, although I probably should have stayed on it. The big thing for me was showering. I was up early enough for work, but I didn't trust my leg strength getting in and out of the shower. And I was living alone at the time. I would say just take the 3 weeks, especially if you have the benefits. No sense in pushing this. You don't want to hurt yourself and have to go thru this all over again.
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

ski_adk wrote: Well, like 6 weeks after surgery, a small, itchy pimple appeared on the scar. Of course I scratched it...and guess what...there was a little piece of string in it ...
I had wire stitches once, that was fun finding bits under the skin months afterwards :roll:
kcowboy
Black Carver

Post by kcowboy »

In my case I only had the torn ACL and no other work done, which I am sure is quite different from your procedure. From what you describe I had the same less invasive procedure.

I was walking with out crutches, but with the imbolizer(sp), the night of the procedure. I started PT before surgery and they gave me exercises to do post surgery and I started doing those at home the day after the procedure.

A week after the surgery I was walking without the imobilzer. That same week I saw the doc and started PT 3 days a week for a month. Two weeks after surgery I was able to drive and started working part time. After the month of PT I had regained full motion.

The surgery took place in April and I started skiing again in December with out a brace and still ski (well next year anyway) without one to this day.

But don't take my case as normal I heal VERY fast. Look at how fast I healed from the hip replacement. I'm just not normal in more ways than one.
Save a horse ride a cowboy
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Stormchaser wrote:

Ew
Agreed, hidden strings are never fun...no matter where they come from :shock:

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

kcowboy wrote:In my case I only had the torn ACL and no other work done, which I am sure is quite different from your procedure. From what you describe I had the same less invasive procedure.

I was walking with out crutches, but with the imbolizer(sp), the night of the procedure. I started PT before surgery and they gave me exercises to do post surgery and I started doing those at home the day after the procedure.

A week after the surgery I was walking without the imobilzer. That same week I saw the doc and started PT 3 days a week for a month. Two weeks after surgery I was able to drive and started working part time. After the month of PT I had regained full motion.

The surgery took place in April and I started skiing again in December with out a brace and still ski (well next year anyway) without one to this day.

But don't take my case as normal I heal VERY fast. Look at how fast I healed from the hip replacement. I'm just not normal in more ways than one.
Freak :wink:

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

Mtn Man wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

Ew
Agreed, hidden strings are never fun...no matter where they come from :shock:

B)
pre pregnancy, my wife had a habit of tossing the used "feminine product" into the toilet but not flushing. I'd get up in the am to take my morning piss and lo and behold, a bloody mary. regarding your scars, i have a nasty one on my right knee from the surgery but it was closed up with staples and the made 2 extra incisions. this was done in 89 and acl surgery was relatively new for the average joe. actually had to stay overnight in the hospital for 3 days and i was on crutches for over a month. left knee done in '98 and only one scar and it's pretty faint. they used the dissolvable (sp) stitches and it came out much better. It's weird when you are out in the sun cause the scar turns bright pink.
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

Mtn Man wrote:I was actually looking forward to having that scar/badge of courage on my knee, I guess I shoulda told them that before going in :lol:
Now MtnMan, you didn't state the real reason you were hoping for a scar... what did you tell me on the phone today? Wasn't it something like "Chics dig scars?" :wink:

Glad things are improving well. I think we're all going to have our cameras ready when you get back on those sticks next season! :D
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

Skibumtress wrote: ... "Chics dig scars?" ...
and here I thought it was money and a decent sized wiener .......... oh, and port