Slide at A-basin...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Slide at A-basin...

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

I was just out there, lots of snow for this time of year....hope SCS is ok.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGN ... 89c01ca7bf
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

wow... A friend of mine from Denver was headed there today... She probably didnt go due to the avi danger... At least I hope..

People laugh... But i always wear a tranceiver when i go to high avi places like ABasin...
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

I put a call in, hope to hear back from her ASAP. I'll let you know when I hear.

BTW, here is something from TGR, says no others were confirmed in the area. Cross your fingers, positive vibes:

Pallavicini slides; one person killed
By NICOLE FORMOSA
summit daily news
May 20, 2005

ARAPAHOE BASIN — An inbounds slide on the expert Pallavicini area at the Arapahoe Basin ski area trapped and killed at least one unidentified male described as about 40 years old.

Alan Henceroth, director of mountain operations, said the slide occurred at about 10:30 a.m. in the Alley area of Pallavicini.

Ski patrollers found the victim and performed rescue efforts. He was pronounced dead at about noon.

Henceroth said there is no confirmation of any other skiers being buried by the slide, which he said was unwitnessed.

Rescuers ceased efforts at about 12:45 p.m. because of dangerous snow conditions. Henceroth said a search would be resumed but the timing is dependent on snow conditions.

The rest of the Pallavicini side of the resort was closed to skiing and riding, as was the East Wall, but the mountain remained open.

Henceroth was unsure there ever had been an inbounds slide at the Basin.

The slide was reported to be about 300 feet wide and 1,000 feet long, according to Summit County Mountain Rescue Group spokesman Joeben Slivka.

This story will be updated through the afternoon
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote:I put a call in, hope to hear back from her ASAP. I'll let you know when I hear.
My thoughts are with you and SCS...
I'm waiting to hear back from my friend as well...
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Something from Powderpig on TGR:

Just talked to telechuck who is on his way home from A-Basin. He said it started around the trees skiers left of Pali face, slid into the first alley, then back out below and all the way down to the traverse... Apparently, there were plenty of hangfire as well
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

That really sucks, hope everyone is ok.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote:Something from Powderpig on TGR:

Just talked to telechuck who is on his way home from A-Basin. He said it started around the trees skiers left of Pali face, slid into the first alley, then back out below and all the way down to the traverse... Apparently, there were plenty of hangfire as well

Hangfire causing the slide or leftover...
Cause if was leftover it would suck to have to work under...
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

THe slide was out of bounds, wasn't it?
I've not known SCS to be a poacher.. i could be wrong..
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

pizzamoose wrote:THe slide was out of bounds, wasn't it?

Pav is inbounds... And really STEEEEP.... Great stuff..
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

For those of us who ski in the eastern ski resorts---- please explain this term.
1918 lives
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

DMC wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:THe slide was out of bounds, wasn't it?

Pav is inbounds... And really STEEEEP.... Great stuff..
i meant inbounds, but closed..
reading TGR, I'm seeing that the run was actually open.

also reading TGR, i found out that hangfire is the unstable snow that didn't go with the main slide.. usually above the crack.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

borgy wrote:

For those of us who ski in the eastern ski resorts---- please explain this term.
DMC explained it. It's hanging snow, part of the crown, that is unstable and could slide at anytime. Therefore, they had to do a quick search and get out of there due to another potential slide.

Bad news, heard it was in an open area, first hand from someone on the Pavi lift at the time. It was a slow mover, but crushed the trees on that side.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

borgy wrote:

Hangfire means something thats only attatched at the top... It is snow thats still around after a slide with a simular aspect and incline - above the crown of the slide. It's killed people that are searching for avi victims...
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote:
Bad news, heard it was in an open area, first hand from someone on the Pavi lift at the time. It was a slow mover, but crushed the trees on that side.

B)
It was probably wet... not good...
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Looks like she's OK, just talked to her. She said it was open over there too. She commented that it was the last day on that chair. She was headed over there when it slid.

B)
Last edited by Mtn Man on May 20th, '05, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....