Slide at A-basin...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

Mtn Man wrote:Looks like she's OK, just talked to her. She said it was open over there too. She commented that it was the last day on that chair too. She was headed over there when it slid.

B)
relieved here..
I'm eagerly looking forward to her trip report though..
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

Mtn Man wrote:
borgy wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:Something from Powderpig on TGR:

Just talked to telechuck who is on his way home from A-Basin. He said it started around the trees skiers left of Pali face, slid into the first alley, then back out below and all the way down to the traverse... Apparently, there were plenty of hangfire as well

For those of us who ski in the eastern ski resorts---- please explain this term.
DMC explained it. It's hanging snow, part of the crown, that is unstable and could slide at anytime. Therefore, they had to do a quick search and get out of there due to another potential slide.

Bad news, heard it was in an open area, first hand from someone on the Pavi lift at the time. It was a slow mover, but crushed the trees on that side.

B)

Thank you--- In my patrol days at at good ole Wally World in NH (aka Waterville Valley) we only touched on avalanches during our training. Didn't have to worry about it on the likes of True Grit or Lower Bobby's Run. Never heard the term hangfire though.
1918 lives
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote:Looks like she's OK, just talked to her. She said it was open over there too. She commented that it was the last day on that chair too. She was headed over there when it slid.

B)
thank god...

Now I'm just wating for my friends to check in... :(
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

DMC wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:THe slide was out of bounds, wasn't it?
I've not known SCS to be a poacher.. i could be wrong..

Pav is inbounds... And really STEEEEP.... Great stuff..
I concour "Pull on my weenee" is a fun trail. Aka"Blongna slicer"
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

DMC wrote:

B)
thank god...

Now I'm just wating for my friends to check in... :(

Glad to hear SCS is OK--

Hope you hear good news from your friends too DMC.
1918 lives
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

borgy wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:
borgy wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:Something from Powderpig on TGR:

Just talked to telechuck who is on his way home from A-Basin. He said it started around the trees skiers left of Pali face, slid into the first alley, then back out below and all the way down to the traverse... Apparently, there were plenty of hangfire as well

For those of us who ski in the eastern ski resorts---- please explain this term.
DMC explained it. It's hanging snow, part of the crown, that is unstable and could slide at anytime. Therefore, they had to do a quick search and get out of there due to another potential slide.

Bad news, heard it was in an open area, first hand from someone on the Pavi lift at the time. It was a slow mover, but crushed the trees on that side.

B)

Thank you--- In my patrol days at at good ole Wally World in NH (aka Waterville Valley) we only touched on avalanches during our training. Didn't have to worry about it on the likes of True Grit or Lower Bobby's Run. Never heard the term hangfire though.

I use 2 coach for BBTS.
Under george calpaldi
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Glad she is OK! Sorry for whoever it was.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

borgy wrote:Thank you--- In my patrol days at at good ole Wally World in NH (aka Waterville Valley) we only touched on avalanches during our training. Didn't have to worry about it on the likes of True Grit or Lower Bobby's Run. Never heard the term hangfire though.
They touched on it in my AVI 1 class at Tuckermans...
It's a good word cause you remember it...

Getting nailed by hangfire while searching and rescuing should ALWAYS be in your mind... It's a bad time for a lot of reasons but one of the reasons is you dont have your transceiver on while your searching so if you get slammed by snow your trans gets seperated from your body..

If you see snow coming while in search mode stuff it in your clothes and zip up and pray...

the trans I use will automaitcally reset from search(recieve) to transmit after a few minutes...
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

DMC wrote:your trans gets seperated from your body..
that is bad for so many reasons..

aside from the obvious, it also wastes the rescuer's time when they find a xceiver without a person attached to it..
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

pizzamoose wrote:
DMC wrote:your trans gets seperated from your body..
that is bad for so many reasons..

aside from the obvious, it also wastes the rescuer's time when they find a xceiver without a person attached to it..
I hear ya.. One of the things they teach you in class is to look at the point where the people go under - then start there for the search and work down and out... So at least you kinda know where the people are in the snow..

The worst is when people are digging and digging and find a dog that someone put a tranceiver on...
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Mtn Man wrote:I put a call in, hope to hear back from her ASAP. I'll let you know when I hear.

BTW, here is something from TGR, says no others were confirmed in the area. Cross your fingers, positive vibes:

Pallavicini slides; one person killed
By NICOLE FORMOSA
summit daily news
May 20, 2005

ARAPAHOE BASIN — An inbounds slide on the expert Pallavicini area at the Arapahoe Basin ski area trapped and killed at least one unidentified male described as about 40 years old.
If this pans out to be true it will be the first ever death caused by an avalanche on an in bounds trial anywhere in the US.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

Mtn Man wrote:Looks like she's OK, just talked to her. She said it was open over there too. She commented that it was the last day on that chair. She was headed over there when it slid.

B)
Thank God she is o.k.!!!!!!!!!! I know someone was watching over her.
Last edited by Skibumtress on May 21st, '05, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Here's a slideshow of the pics that the news channel took:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/slidesh ... m=ss;w=400

Pretty nasty stuff, that fracture is huge and the hangfire is definitely harrowing. They said it ripped snow all the way to the ground. It was 7ft deep where it stopped.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I too thank God that SCS is safe and I pray that your friend DMC is OK as well.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

glad scs is ok. hopefully dmc's friend also.

love that run. skied that line many times. that run is STEEP and is usually heavily moguled. when i first went out there about 20 yrs ago, it was actually scary just riding the chairlift over the thing. had to work up the courage to ski it. an inbounds slide. scary stuff.
spoiled South American skiin' whore