A-Basin is A-OK!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

shecanski
Blue Chatterbox

A-Basin is A-OK!

Post by shecanski »

Hello, KZoners -

First of all, thanks for everyone's concern for me when the news about the avalanche was posted on the board. As MtnMan let you all know, I was fine. That day was an awesome first ski day over there, and I felt SO bad when I heard about the guy who died. He was a 50-something man from Boulder, CO. The news made the front page of the Summit Daily News the next day.

I had an amazing trip. Took lots of pics, too, which I will post soon. I had internet problems at home last night, and only got things sorted out this a.m. It was 2 days of bliss, skiing in the bright, hot (as in 70 and 80-degree-hot) sunshine. There was SO MUCH SNOW at A-Basin. On Friday, ALL the lifts were running, except for the Norway double. And the Pallavincini Lift WAS running in the early a.m. I opted to start my day out on the East (?) side of the mountain, warming up on the groomers off of Exhibition Lift, and then quickly moving to the summit via the Lenawee Lift. I managed to pair up with a skier from Maryland who took me out to the East Wall area. We traversed in and did a bit of the Lower East Wall. (This area was closed the next day, after the slide on the Palli side, they did not want to take any chances. They set of charges and you could see new slides on the face.)

I had hoped to ski over on the Palli Lift side, Friday late morning, when my legs were warmed up and my courage had built up. But it was not to be. I got to the base, saw the helicopter and the ambulance, did not know what was going on, really. I went on towards the lift, but turned back when some other guys said it was closed. Walking back towards Exhibition Lift, I heard people talking about the slide, got on the chair and heard some more details from the guys I rode up with. Shocking. The slide happened at 10:30...I was going over there at 11:45 or so. I must have just missed the activity.

The next day, it was weird because it was business as usual, and great skiing was to be had. Though the buzz was still there about the tragedy the day before. And they were continuing clean-up operations on the Palli side. Thank goodness no one else was reported hurt or missing.

I spent most of my second day there skiing the different blues and what blacks I could get to...but it was all good. Snow was firm in the a.m., but that did not faze me since I am an East Coast skier...ice? Hah! Everything got good and soft at around 10:00 or so, and by 2:00 pretty heavy, like thick ice cream. I tried to get the nerve up to try King Cornice...but I guess that will have to wait for next time...since I didn't have any back-up if I did it wrong and got hurt! I know, I know...no guts, no...whatever! Still skied from 9:00-2:00 past every day. The best time of the day...and just about as much as my legs would bear.

Pics will tell the story of how much snow they still have. Will get to it tonight when I get home. I think they said 47-inch (or is it 57-inch) base. I hardly saw any bare spots, though they said last weekend was even better. Sigh. What a place to live and ski. I LOVED it.

ABasin reminds me a bit of Alta, it feels old school and welcoming. Highly recommend it for late season skiing. Stayed at a B&B in Silverthorne, which is 15 miles from ABasin. Lodging was $45 a night (I had the place to myself!) and lift tix were $36. Such a deal! There's SNOW in them thar' hills!!!

:D :D :D
Disturb One Small Mind A Day
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

WOW!
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

welcome back. great report. yeah i love it out there also, and alta is a good comparison (or maybe mad river back east). next time king cornice ... that first turn is a doosey.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
KV
Bumper

Post by KV »

Did you ski the Falcon, it's on the inbounds side of the East Wall gates. The trail is rated single black, but then below it it says "Cliffs! Rocks! Rockoutcrops!" I jumped a HUGE rock on the left side of the lift(going up, about 3/4 to the top) must have been 15+ feet. Bombholed and exploded into a full yard sale! There must have been at least 3 feet of pow on the landing. Biggest jump I have ever done. A-basin rules!

You missed out on the Palvancinni side, we did one run directly under the Pali lift where it was ridiculously steep. We were creating slough(mini avalanches) and boulders of snow 1-2 feet large were cascading down, and the run is only about 20 feet wide. We had to go down one at a time so the snow wouldn't knock us down!

We also saw them blasting the East Wall with the avi cannon, so needless to say it was closed when I was there.

KV
shecanski
Blue Chatterbox

Post by shecanski »

KV wrote:Did you ski the Falcon, it's on the inbounds side of the East Wall gates. The trail is rated single black, but then below it it says "Cliffs! Rocks! Rockoutcrops!" I jumped a HUGE rock on the left side of the lift(going up, about 3/4 to the top) must have been 15+ feet. Bombholed and exploded into a full yard sale! There must have been at least 3 feet of pow on the landing. Biggest jump I have ever done. A-basin rules!

You missed out on the Palvancinni side, we did one run directly under the Pali lift where it was ridiculously steep. We were creating slough(mini avalanches) and boulders of snow 1-2 feet large were cascading down, and the run is only about 20 feet wide. We had to go down one at a time so the snow wouldn't knock us down!

We also saw them blasting the East Wall with the avi cannon, so needless to say it was closed when I was there.

KV
Yes, I think I skied the Falcon, though there is a steep but "safe" side to it on the left. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do jumps. Or maybe that's West Gulley that I did...or halfway between the two...

I am sorry I missed out on the Palli side, but NOT sorry I missed the avalanche which happened on the trails on skier's left of the chair last Friday.
Disturb One Small Mind A Day
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: A-Basin is A-OK!

Post by tyrolean_skier »

shecanski wrote:Hello, KZoners -

First of all, thanks for everyone's concern for me when the news about the avalanche was posted on the board. As MtnMan let you all know, I was fine. That day was an awesome first ski day over there, and I felt SO bad when I heard about the guy who died. He was a 50-something man from Boulder, CO. The news made the front page of the Summit Daily News the next day.

I had an amazing trip. Took lots of pics, too, which I will post soon. I had internet problems at home last night, and only got things sorted out this a.m. It was 2 days of bliss, skiing in the bright, hot (as in 70 and 80-degree-hot) sunshine. There was SO MUCH SNOW at A-Basin. On Friday, ALL the lifts were running, except for the Norway double. And the Pallavincini Lift WAS running in the early a.m. I opted to start my day out on the East (?) side of the mountain, warming up on the groomers off of Exhibition Lift, and then quickly moving to the summit via the Lenawee Lift. I managed to pair up with a skier from Maryland who took me out to the East Wall area. We traversed in and did a bit of the Lower East Wall. (This area was closed the next day, after the slide on the Palli side, they did not want to take any chances. They set of charges and you could see new slides on the face.)

I had hoped to ski over on the Palli Lift side, Friday late morning, when my legs were warmed up and my courage had built up. But it was not to be. I got to the base, saw the helicopter and the ambulance, did not know what was going on, really. I went on towards the lift, but turned back when some other guys said it was closed. Walking back towards Exhibition Lift, I heard people talking about the slide, got on the chair and heard some more details from the guys I rode up with. Shocking. The slide happened at 10:30...I was going over there at 11:45 or so. I must have just missed the activity.

The next day, it was weird because it was business as usual, and great skiing was to be had. Though the buzz was still there about the tragedy the day before. And they were continuing clean-up operations on the Palli side. Thank goodness no one else was reported hurt or missing.

I spent most of my second day there skiing the different blues and what blacks I could get to...but it was all good. Snow was firm in the a.m., but that did not faze me since I am an East Coast skier...ice? Hah! Everything got good and soft at around 10:00 or so, and by 2:00 pretty heavy, like thick ice cream. I tried to get the nerve up to try King Cornice...but I guess that will have to wait for next time...since I didn't have any back-up if I did it wrong and got hurt! I know, I know...no guts, no...whatever! Still skied from 9:00-2:00 past every day. The best time of the day...and just about as much as my legs would bear.

Pics will tell the story of how much snow they still have. Will get to it tonight when I get home. I think they said 47-inch (or is it 57-inch) base. I hardly saw any bare spots, though they said last weekend was even better. Sigh. What a place to live and ski. I LOVED it.

ABasin reminds me a bit of Alta, it feels old school and welcoming. Highly recommend it for late season skiing. Stayed at a B&B in Silverthorne, which is 15 miles from ABasin. Lodging was $45 a night (I had the place to myself!) and lift tix were $36. Such a deal! There's SNOW in them thar' hills!!!

:D :D :D
Nice report SCS. Glad you had a good time out there and you got there late on the day of the avalanche.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Sounds awsome! Was sitting on the DIA runway in March thinking, why don't we go hit the Basin. Have not been there since '86.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

Thanks for the report SCS. Glad you had a great time!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!! :D
powday
Black Carver

Post by powday »

Glad you had such a great time SCS!!!
Have a great, great summer. 8)
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

Glad you liked it, I never cared for the place the times I went. It was all hyped up and found the terrain less worthy than the surrounding areas if not worse.