Business opps near K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

TacklingSnowmenSteve
Black Carver

Post by TacklingSnowmenSteve »

I think a brothel would be a huge business in killington!!!

Your overhead would be relatively low.. you would just have to have a large house.. low overhead.. but kickbacks to keep the law off your tail might be expensive.. but i think that business would make a killing..
It's my duty to please your booty.... ~Shaft
SkiNutDave
Blue Chatterbox

Post by SkiNutDave »

RustyK wrote:Where is Vergeness, VT.?? Goodrich Corp.?
Aerospace experience a plus.
Nice little town between Fair Haven (Rt 4) and Burlington on 22A off 7. Been thru it many times when I lived in Fair Haven.
Already saw it. Don;t know anything about aerospace electronics. Other end of EE.
Let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow.
SkiNutDave
Blue Chatterbox

Post by SkiNutDave »

Mister Moose wrote:One other thought...

I have noticed a lot of empty real estate on the access road. New businesses are not beating a path to the access road.... there must be a reason.
They heard about the Thanksgiving to May 1 season.
Also heard on VPR that with the global warming expecting to get worse, ski area real estate is not a good investment over the next 10-20 yrs.
Let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow.
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

Atomic1 wrote:Chimney Sweep.With all those woodstoves/fireplaces going in the condo's. all winter the stoves have to be cleaned in the summer.Thus leaving you to ski in the winter.
You sign the contract with K and presto .......plus all the local work in the area.
Pretty cool job if you like outdoors and excercise and don't mind getting dirty.
I actually can picture SPRITE doing this! :wink:
Actually, stoves/fireplaces don't HAVE to be cleaned every year. I know of one complex that had their first cleaning in 20 years just this past year... They may be laws about it, but their is no enforcement of them...
Many of the condo's took out the woodburning fireplaces and put in gas fireplaces such as Whiffletree and Pinnacle. After the fire at Mountain Green, lots of folks have changed over... I lived in a complex when I first moved here and I had renters on one side of me and they vacummed out the fireplace and then put the full bag in the dumpster and pulled away.... a few minutes later there was a fire in the dumpster (duhhhh,,, hot ashes) and it could have burned the whole complex down if I wasn't home to call the fire dept... Two doors down a couple left a fire burning with the glass fireplace doors closed, they busted and the whole condo burned from top to bottom... it was completely re-built... I would never want to live in a complex that has rental people using fireplaces... many of them just don't use their common sense or they just don't care...

Does anyone remember the guy at Hunter Mountain that use to sell the hot baked potatoes outside with the toppings? That was a great idea!

And as far as empty real estate on the access road, the only place would be Fred's Freeride building and I heard that many folks have already looked into buying it... Not sure what other places someone else posted about?
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

SkiNutDave wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:One other thought...

I have noticed a lot of empty real estate on the access road. New businesses are not beating a path to the access road.... there must be a reason.
They heard about the Thanksgiving to May 1 season.
Also heard on VPR that with the global warming expecting to get worse, ski area real estate is not a good investment over the next 10-20 yrs.
I hope so...

not downplaying global warming, but global warming doesn't automatically mean warmer EVERYWHERE....and warmer relative to the past 100 years or so can also mean larger and more frequent storms...

SINCE LAKE CHAMPLAIN WATER TEMPERATURE DATA HAS BEEN RECORDED AT THE
KING STREET FERRY DOCK IN BURLINGTON(1972-PRESENT) MAY 18 1984 WAS
THE LATEST DATE THE WATER TEMPERATURE WAS 40 DEG OR COLDER.
YESTERDAY'S READING OF 40 IS THE LATEST DATE IN THE SPRING THAT THE
LAKE HAS BEEN 40. THE NORMAL LAKE TEMPERATURE IS 50 FOR TODAY. WITH
THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND COMING UP PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THOSE KINDS
OF WATER TEMPERATURES CAN PRODUCE HYPOTHERMIA RAPIDLY.

interesting tidbit from Burlington VT NWS...
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

ever consider buying a franchise of something? I don't know what your financial situation is like and I'd imagine you'd need some cash, but I don't see why something like a Dunkin' Donuts or a 7-11 wouldn't make it on the access road. Its not glamourous, but with a little luck (labor under correct knowledge), after a few years it would be relatively viable and would produce a comfortable income.

I don't know what kind of engineer you are, but another possibility would be some sort of professional business - similar to an accountant or lawyer. thats a lot of work, but it can be really lucrative if you're good.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

pizzamoose wrote:ever consider buying a franchise of something? I don't know what your financial situation is like and I'd imagine you'd need some cash, but I don't see why something like a Dunkin' Donuts or a 7-11 wouldn't make it on the access road. Its not glamourous, but with a little luck (labor under correct knowledge), after a few years it would be relatively viable and would produce a comfortable income.

I don't know what kind of engineer you are, but another possibility would be some sort of professional business - similar to an accountant or lawyer. thats a lot of work, but it can be really lucrative if you're good.
Believe it or not, I think there's zoning against that sort of thing on the access road...

Ozzy? Stormin?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

SkiDork wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:ever consider buying a franchise of something? I don't know what your financial situation is like and I'd imagine you'd need some cash, but I don't see why something like a Dunkin' Donuts or a 7-11 wouldn't make it on the access road. Its not glamourous, but with a little luck (labor under correct knowledge), after a few years it would be relatively viable and would produce a comfortable income.

Believe it or not, I think there's zoning against that sort of thing on the access road...

Ozzy? Stormin?
No Franchises on Killington Road because of laws... yes, Dork, correct again! :D
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Stormin_Aussie wrote:
SkiDork wrote:

Ozzy? Stormin?
No Franchises on Killington Road because of laws... yes, Dork, correct again! :D
thats what I thought.

Here's a thought: Do you think a franchise would be able to handle the seasonable-ness of K access road? I think even without zoning regs, no franchise would take the risk.

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
TacklingSnowmenSteve
Black Carver

Post by TacklingSnowmenSteve »

How come there is the comfort inn... isn't that a franchise??
Last edited by TacklingSnowmenSteve on May 25th, '05, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
It's my duty to please your booty.... ~Shaft
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

With all my ideas kicked around, I'm going to go with PACKAGE STORE as making it on the access road.
IMO Other than that Mobil gas/convienence store 'THAT NEVER PLOWS ITS LOT" there isn't another REAL LIQUOR store.
And this group would insure success of this adventure :wink:
Last edited by Atomic1 on May 25th, '05, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

Stormin_Aussie wrote:
SkiDork wrote:

Ozzy? Stormin?
so it's going to be mom & pop shops if they ever develop the base with a retail component? you'd think K will need some national retailers to make the development work. nobody's going to finance the retail component with "skinutdave's coffee house" as the anchor.
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stormin_Aussie wrote: And as far as empty real estate on the access road, the only place would be Fred's Freeride building and I heard that many folks have already looked into buying it... Not sure what other places someone else posted about?
I wasn't just talking about empty buildings, but vacant land. It appears there is land north of Charity's. There is a lot of woods down by Peppino's. The weathered grey boxlike building (Old ski lodge???) by the Killington historical marker, just north of the Grist Mill on the other side of the street looks way under utilized or vacant. There are a lot of residential buildings that if the demand was high would sell and turn to commercial. If you drove the road I think you'd notice other spaces. And the unlikely laundromat/bar should be available soon.
Last edited by Mister Moose on May 25th, '05, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

Atomic1 wrote:With all my ideas kicked around, I'm going to go with PACKAGE STORE as making it on the access road.
IMO Other than that Mobil gas/convienence store 'THAT NEVER PLOWS ITS LOT" there isn't another REAL LIQUOR store.
And this group would insure success of this adventure :wink:
Cordially yours is located at the Killington deli on Rt 4... You can buy liquors, beer and wine there... Killington Market on the Killington Road has beer and wine, Glazes Wine Shop sells wine, and the Mobil has beer and wine... highly doubt they need another package store, not to mention that a large percentage of K patrons go out to party and love spending the big bucks on those expensive drinks! :D
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

TacklingSnowmenSteve wrote:How come there is the comfort inn... isn't that a franchise??
Believe it or not, Comfort Inn sells Condo shares. Maybe thats how they circumvent the franchise tag.

How do I know this? The new guys who will be doing our property mgmt. also manage 22 condo properties at the Comfort Inn. Go figger.

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage