U.S. Women's Soccer Team

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

U.S. Women's Soccer Team

Post by f.a.s.t. »

I was following them, even watching a little of it. Now I hope they lose. Fox news showed Ripinoe kneeling during the National Anthem a while back and now she says she won't put her hand over her heart and never sing the Anthem again in protest. In addition, at least two players said they won't go to the White House if invited.

Screw them, I hope they lose.
Attachments
9d567fcf6e4f4db5bee8712e0b18f4b9[1] (Small) (1).jpg
9d567fcf6e4f4db5bee8712e0b18f4b9[1] (Small) (1).jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 641 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Re: U.S. Women's Soccer Team

Post by Kpdemello »

Do you know why she is protesting? Why does this make you so angry?

Here, I looked it up:
Asked after the game why she knelt, Rapinoe told American Soccer Now, "It was a little nod to Kaepernick and everything that he's standing for right now. I think it's actually pretty disgusting the way he was treated, and the way that a lot of the media has covered it and made it about something that it absolutely isn't. We need to have a more thoughtful, two-sided conversation about racial issues in this country."

"Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties," Rapinoe said in 2016.

In a piece for the Players' Tribune, Rapinoe wrote, "I have chosen to kneel because I simply cannot stand for the kind of oppression this country is allowing against its own people. I have chosen to kneel because, in the words of Emma Lazarus, 'Until we are all free, we are none of us free.'"
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/ ... xts3b4mkgb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She seems pretty patriotic to me. While I'm not a huge fan of these flag protests, it's not because I think they are disrespecting the flag. Quite the opposite. I think these protests are actually detracting from their goal because they give ignorant people an excuse to claim that the protest is about disrespecting America instead of what it's really all about.

BTW, I'll be rooting for the team harder now to make up for your lack of support.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Kpdemello wrote:
Asked after the game why she knelt, Rapinoe told American Soccer Now, "It was a little nod to Kaepernick and everything that he's standing for right now. I think it's actually pretty disgusting the way he was treated, and the way that a lot of the media has covered it and made it about something that it absolutely isn't. We need to have a more thoughtful, two-sided conversation about racial issues in this country."

"Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties," Rapinoe said in 2016.

In a piece for the Players' Tribune, Rapinoe wrote, "I have chosen to kneel because I simply cannot stand for the kind of oppression this country is allowing against its own people. I have chosen to kneel because, in the words of Emma Lazarus, 'Until we are all free, we are none of us free.'"
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/ ... xts3b4mkgb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She seems pretty patriotic to me. While I'm not a huge fan of these flag protests, it's not because I think they are disrespecting the flag. Quite the opposite. I think these protests are actually detracting from their goal because they give ignorant people an excuse to claim that the protest is about disrespecting America instead of what it's really all about.
What liberty is Rapinoe guaranteed, but is not being protected?

IMHO, Rapinoe comparing her endeavors to Kaepernick's is ridiculous. Makes light of the history of African-Americans.

Finally, throwing Emma Lazarus's "Until we are all free, we are none of us free" is kind of cliché. Free to do what? Free to not pay taxes, free to kill children in the third-trimester, free to be racist, free to own tanks, free to do as we please, free to do anything for the sake of being free?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

yep co-opting the national ( international) stage for her own agenda...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:What liberty is Rapinoe guaranteed, but is not being protected?
Gay marriage, for one. Also it's not as big an issue today but homosexual Americans were discriminated against quite a bit in our history. See below.
Gay Americans in the 1950s and 1960s faced an anti-gay legal system.[note 2][7] Early homophile groups in the U.S. sought to prove that gay people could be assimilated into society, and they favored non-confrontational education for homosexuals and heterosexuals alike. The last years of the 1960s, however, were very contentious, as many social/political movements were active, including the civil rights movement, the counterculture of the 1960s, and the anti-Vietnam War movement. These influences, along with the liberal environment of Greenwich Village, served as catalysts for the Stonewall riots.

Very few establishments welcomed gay people in the 1950s and 1960s. Those that did were often bars, although bar owners and managers were rarely gay. At the time, the Stonewall Inn was owned by the Mafia.[8][9][10] It catered to an assortment of patrons and was known to be popular among the poorest and most marginalized people in the gay community: drag queens, transgender people, effeminate young men, butch lesbians, male prostitutes, and homeless youth. Police raids on gay bars were routine in the 1960s, but officers quickly lost control of the situation at the Stonewall Inn. Tensions between New York City police and gay residents of Greenwich Village erupted into more protests the next evening, and again several nights later. Within weeks, Village residents quickly organized into activist groups to concentrate efforts on establishing places for gays and lesbians to be open about their sexual orientation without fear of being arrested.

After the Stonewall riots, gays and lesbians in New York City faced gender, race, class, and generational obstacles to becoming a cohesive community. Within six months, two gay activist organizations were formed in New York, concentrating on confrontational tactics, and three newspapers were established to promote rights for gays and lesbians. Within a few years, gay rights organizations were founded across the U.S. and the world. On June 28, 1970, the first gay pride marches took place in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco,[11] and the anniversary of the riots was commemorated in Chicago. Similar marches were organized in other cities. The Stonewall National Monument was established at the site in 2016.[12] Today, LGBT Pride events are held annually throughout the world toward the end of June to mark the Stonewall riots, including Stonewall 50 - WorldPride NYC 2019, which commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising internationally.[13] On June 6, 2019, coinciding with the WorldPride NYC celebration, New York City Police Commissioner James P. O'Neill rendered a formal apology on behalf of the New York Police Department for the actions of its officers at Stonewall in 1969.[14][15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I don't think she was "comparing her endeavors to Kaepernick's" but rather indicating she was standing in solidarity with him. Gay white Americans are allowed to do that, right?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Kpdemello wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:What liberty is Rapinoe guaranteed, but is not being protected?
Gay marriage, for one. Also it's not as big an issue today but homosexual Americans were discriminated against quite a bit in our history. See below.
To my knowledge, gay marriage is legal in the US. So what liberty is Rapinoe guaranteed, but is not being protected?
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Kpdemello wrote:Do you know why she is protesting? Why does this make you so angry?

Here, I looked it up:

BTW, I'll be rooting for the team harder now to make up for your lack of support.
Even if her concerns are legitimate, which for the most part they are not, insulting and disrespecting the majority of the U.S. population is not patriotic.
I'm glad the U.S. Soccer Federation understands, and prohibits kneeling during the Anthem. They get it, too bad you're insulting and disrespectful and don't get it.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:To my knowledge, gay marriage is legal in the US. So what liberty is Rapinoe guaranteed, but is not being protected?
Yes but that did not happen until recently (2015, I believe). So when she says she knows what its like to look at the American flag and not have it protect all of her liberties, she is speaking from experience on that one issue alone.
Even if her concerns are legitimate, which for the most part they are not, insulting and disrespecting the majority of the U.S. population is not patriotic. I'm glad the U.S. Soccer Federation understands, and prohibits kneeling during the Anthem. They get it, too bad you're insulting and disrespectful and don't get it.
How is a peaceful protest during the national anthem disrespecting to the majority of the U.S. population? How does it affect you in any way? How am I being insulting and disrespectful? I don't think you're being rational.

That's the problem with this protest, by the way. It sparks an irrational response from people, not the thoughtful response that might actually generate sympathy for the cause. That, to me, makes it rather ineffective.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Kpdemello wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:To my knowledge, gay marriage is legal in the US. So what liberty is Rapinoe guaranteed, but is not being protected?
Yes but that did not happen until recently (2015, I believe). So when she says she knows what its like to look at the American flag and not have it protect all of her liberties, she is speaking from experience on that one issue alone.
Even if her concerns are legitimate, which for the most part they are not, insulting and disrespecting the majority of the U.S. population is not patriotic. I'm glad the U.S. Soccer Federation understands, and prohibits kneeling during the Anthem. They get it, too bad you're insulting and disrespectful and don't get it.
How is a peaceful protest during the national anthem disrespecting to the majority of the U.S. population? How does it affect you in any way? How am I being insulting and disrespectful? I don't think you're being rational.

That's the problem with this protest, by the way. It sparks an irrational response from people, not the thoughtful response that might actually generate sympathy for the cause. That, to me, makes it rather ineffective.
Who the hell are you to tell me that I'm not insulted and hurt when I see people kneeling during our National Anthem. Typical indoctrination, trying to tell people when they can or can't be hurt, what is right and wrong. One set of laws for you, another set for me, that's insulting and disrespectful.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I for one am happy that I live in a country where if I felt like kneeling during the national anthem I can. Would I do it? No, but I do agree its their right to do whatever they feel like during the national anthem.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

daytripper wrote:I for one am happy that I live in a country where if I felt like kneeling during the national anthem I can. Would I do it? No, but I do agree its their right to do whatever they feel like during the national anthem.
So, it would be ok for a white supremist to burn a cross during the National Anthem? Why not burn a flag during the Anthem? Kneeling during the Anthem is just as disrespectful as a white supremist burning a cross and both should be stopped. If you don't stand, stay in the locker room.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
Kpdemello wrote:

Who the hell are you to tell me that I'm not insulted and hurt when I see people kneeling during our National Anthem. Typical indoctrination, trying to tell people when they can or can't be hurt, what is right and wrong. One set of laws for you, another set for me, that's insulting and disrespectful.
I never said you weren't insulted or hurt. I'm asking why you feel that way because I don't understand your reason. It seems irrational. Is that hurtful to you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
daytripper wrote:I for one am happy that I live in a country where if I felt like kneeling during the national anthem I can. Would I do it? No, but I do agree its their right to do whatever they feel like during the national anthem.
So, it would be ok for a white supremist to burn a cross during the National Anthem? Why not burn a flag during the Anthem? Kneeling during the Anthem is just as disrespectful as a white supremist burning a cross and both should be stopped. If you don't stand, stay in the locker room.
Was Rosa Parks being disrespectful when she refused to sit in the back of the bus? I'm not trying to say that what Rapino is doing is anything close to as significant, I'm saying you've positied a very inapt analogy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. True .. butt at least he didn't post this endless troll blather on the sports forum.
.. admins prolly bill him all the time for crapping in the wrong forum.

As to US women's soccer, they have a real shot this year :like
Too bad our men don't ever qualify .. and are not likely to ever win the Coupe de Monde.
There would be some serious kneeling pre game if our men ever made it past qualifiers. :lol:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
I agree it is disrespectful and would rather them stay in the locker room, but they have the freedom to do as they please, thats one of the great things about this country. They could burn a cross or flag too as lone as it does not create a fire hazard. Thats what makes the country great.