North Ridge Quad

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: North Ridge Quad

Post by tyrolean_skier »

bwbski22 wrote:Any word on the glades quad passing load test?
Don't know if it passed the test but on Saturday when I hiked up to the top of the Glades I saw many blue barrels. I assumed that the test was done. Here are pictures of the new quad and the ramp.
North Ridge Quad.jpg
North Ridge Quad.jpg (113.13 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
Two ski buddies standing on the ramp
Standing on the ramp.jpg
Standing on the ramp.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Foot rests.... boo!
Don't Killington Pico
bwbski22
Green Skidder

Post by bwbski22 »

I’m pretty sure it passed. K1 going through a test today
nsvencer1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by nsvencer1 »

They testing new ski racks on K1?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Lots of pictures here

https://liftblog.com/north-ridge-killin ... _nCISkehs4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Those are some brakes on the bull wheel.

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Big Bob wrote:Lots of pictures here

https://liftblog.com/north-ridge-killin ... _nCISkehs4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any reason why the pads on the towers are facing the wrong way?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

throbster wrote:

Patrol hasn't flipped them yet after making the ladders more accessible for the inspectors?? Not sure... Although I'd trust a Newyplong response far more than a snoloco resonse on this ;) ;)
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
spanky
Site Admin

North Ridge Quad

Post by spanky »

throbster wrote:

Keen eye. This brings up the question, why not put the ladders on the downhill side of the towers?

Edit: To reduce the risk of lift passenger interference? I’m thinking skis/poles reaching out to hit the tower.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I believe the main reason is the fact that many towers are set at an angle to allow more even loading of the tower and foundation. It's easier to climb a ladder that is slanted away from you rather than towards you.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

I'm pretty spoiled by all the new and perfectly maintained lifts at Stowe, but have to admit that's a sharp looking lift. Thanks for posting the high rez pics. Still suspect this will have a high rate of misloads due to the tight chair spacing.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Should be fewer loading/unloading issues than the old triple due to the wider chairs.

The quad has 102 chairs spaced 45 feet apart. At a speed of 450 feet per minute, it will have an hourly capacity of 2400. The triple had 100 chairs, but only ran at 400 feet per minute. According to the Lift Blog database, it had an hourly capacity of 1800, but from my calculation would've needed around 115 chairs to achieve that. In reality, the capacity was about 1565.

That's already a 53% increase in capacity, and when you account for fewer stops and slow downs, it could be an over 60% increase. I think many will be surprised at how much shorter early season wait times are.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

We won't be surprised by an increased crush of out of control bodies heading downhill. That many more going up per hour means that many more going downhill per hour. Really would love to see weather conditions that lets them open up both blue trails and the Great Northern alternative that brings you to the back end of the loading area. Some of those early days are just one way down on Rime. Maybe the early season legs will tire quicker and people will leave earlier. No matter what, its going to be a great improvement and we will deal with the few days of crowding. Its all forgotten soon enough when Snowdon opens.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

DrJeff wrote:
throbster wrote:

Patrol hasn't flipped them yet after making the ladders more accessible for the inspectors?? Not sure... Although I'd trust a Newyplong response far more than a snoloco resonse on this ;) ;)
Yep - backwards pads so they can still easily climb to inspect or align sheaves and work on the comm line if needed.

Ladders uphill because it's easier to climb that way than angled upside down.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:Should be fewer loading/unloading issues than the old triple due to the wider chairs.

The quad has 102 chairs spaced 45 feet apart. At a speed of 450 feet per minute, it will have an hourly capacity of 2400. The triple had 100 chairs, but only ran at 400 feet per minute. According to the Lift Blog database, it had an hourly capacity of 1800, but from my calculation would've needed around 115 chairs to achieve that. In reality, the capacity was about 1565.

That's already a 53% increase in capacity, and when you account for fewer stops and slow downs, it could be an over 60% increase. I think many will be surprised at how much shorter early season wait times are.
It's going to stop every 2-3 minutes, or at least twice per ride. Fast quad chairs are the hardest lifts to load. Expect the lift to normally run at around 300 ft/min.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters