North Ridge Quad

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Re: North Ridge Quad

Post by BoozeTan »

Those chairs come in HOT! I got the involuntary sit down a couple times when the chair cranked into the back of my knees and buckled them. The lifties were dong all they could to grab and swig the chairs back....
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

The new quad is a welcomed improvement to the early season scene (and all year too). Nice with only 8 towers on Rime, it felt much more open to me. And no line sag after the GN cross cut so not blocking off a section of Rime. It does come in quickly, if not a quad group I try and grab the front edge of the seat to "self bump" a bit.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

BoozeTan wrote:Those chairs come in HOT! I got the involuntary sit down a couple times when the chair cranked into the back of my knees and buckled them. The lifties were dong all they could to grab and swig the chairs back....
machski wrote:The new quad is a welcomed improvement to the early season scene (and all year too). Nice with only 8 towers on Rime, it felt much more open to me. And no line sag after the GN cross cut so not blocking off a section of Rime. It does come in quickly, if not a quad group I try and grab the front edge of the seat to "self bump" a bit.
yup they come in hot. doing the "self bump" thing myself. lifties can't be asleep on the job. but yeah big improvement over the old double and 1/2. sucks up the line pretty quickly.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Given the observed/experienced speed of the new quad, I wonder if there was any thought to making it a carpet load.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

The cripple triple (contusion chair, slowdown triple) comes in pretty hot, too and has a longer deck distance. Huge frequency of customer problems at the bottom loading, but no conveyor ever installed for that one so I really doubt that the new quad will get such consideration. Management probably took one look at the price increase and thought there would be less beginners or low skill level people in the North Ridge, so the shorter deck length to load is within most capabilities.

For sure they need all of those loading lifties to be giving verbal cues as much as possible for getting up to the line without delay. Hesitate and you get banged.

Still I like it as is, it meets requirements for the far majority of customers.

Maybe raise the snow level where you are standing behind the next group. This weekend it was a slight incline to get up on the board, making it a tad more difficult to push off and slide on to the beginning of the loading ramp. Need some additional shoulder/arm strength to push and not every customer has it.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

There are faster fixed grip lifts operating .. just not here 8)
That glade chair speed is just fine :like
Not a lifty issue .. they do a great job on that ridge. :like
Learn how to load .. it's your responsibility .. code #7

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

spanky wrote:Given the observed/experienced speed of the new quad, I wonder if there was any thought to making it a carpet load.
They may have and they could opt to add one later as well. The big consideration is what is underground at the base? If it is bedrock shallow to the surface, that is a huge problem as the carpet loader needs a vault foundation. I know the cost to add one to the old spruce triple at SR ballooned on them because of all the bedrock and blasting needed for the convey foundation vault. I'm convinced that cost alone is why they went with a new triple when the old summit bullwheel failed, so they could reuse the foundation and not blast again for a quad carpet.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

A loading carpet is a lot bigger project than many think. It involves making a big concrete vault and adding a bunch of extra machinery. I think part of the reason North Ridge doesn't have one is because it was such a time sensitive project so they had to keep it simple. From what I observed, it loads fine without one, so I don't see any reason one would be added.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They didn't consider one. There is neither a capacity or line speed concern at that location and the lift profile is only ~2300'.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I agree it likely wasn't considered. They can run the lift at the full 450 fpm without one, so it would've been unnecessary.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

The "self bump" while loading is definitely important. Was by myself, missed and got whacked, my audible groan as I flailed onto the chair resulted in a shouted "sorry" from the lifty. I was honestly laughing as I shouted back a "no worries". I also make a point of pushing off the chair at the top, to avoid getting conked on the dismount. Was perfect on the day Monday, yesterday it just "kissed my ass" once. The chair is a dominatrix and demands your obedience. Kinky, but I kinda like it...

There really has been no line midweek, even on opening day for non-pass holders. This chair moves people. So we're really talking about maybe 2 weekends, 4 days, when there will likely be a crush of people. No need for a carpet loader, especially since the distance you have to move to load is quite short. Putting the tensioning at the top was brilliant.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

rogman wrote:The "self bump" while loading is definitely important. Was by myself, missed and got whacked, my audible groan as I flailed onto the chair resulted in a shouted "sorry" from the lifty. I was honestly laughing as I shouted back a "no worries". I also make a point of pushing off the chair at the top, to avoid getting conked on the dismount. Was perfect on the day Monday, yesterday it just "kissed my ass" once. The chair is a dominatrix and demands your obedience. Kinky, but I kinda like it...

There really has been no line midweek, even on opening day for non-pass holders. This chair moves people. So we're really talking about maybe 2 weekends, 4 days, when there will likely be a crush of people. No need for a carpet loader, especially since the distance you have to move to load is quite short. Putting the tensioning at the top was brilliant.
There will never be a line on that lift once Snowdon opens.

Carpet loading would be a complete waste of dough.

Spend the money somewhere else.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

hillbangin wrote:
rogman wrote:The "self bump" while loading is definitely important. Was by myself, missed and got whacked, my audible groan as I flailed onto the chair resulted in a shouted "sorry" from the lifty. I was honestly laughing as I shouted back a "no worries". I also make a point of pushing off the chair at the top, to avoid getting conked on the dismount. Was perfect on the day Monday, yesterday it just "kissed my ass" once. The chair is a dominatrix and demands your obedience. Kinky, but I kinda like it...

There will never be a line on that lift once Snowdon opens. :like :like

Carpet loading would be a complete waste of dough.

Spend the money somewhere else.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Anybody time the ride yet?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

5 minutes on the dot.