Wait what? Did Trump just end the Syrian Civil war???

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Wait what? Did Trump just end the Syrian Civil war???

Post by Highway Star »

:?:

This was lightly covered in the media but the actual implications were buried. After the withdrawal was declared, the Kurds and the Syrian Government reached an agreement in the beginning of the week for defense of the border from Turkey. Between the two they control 90%+ of the country, ISIS holds virtually no territory and there are large pockets of insurgents, but hey, that's a whole lot better than we are doing in Afghanistan after 18 years or where they were 4 years ago.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/46625 ... h-al-assad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sounds like Trump decided to pull out now to precipitate this.

"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Wait what? Did Trump just end the Syrian Civil war???

Post by Highway Star »

Since everyone has such a crappy long term memory, it's important to remember that for years Obama and the establishment tried to win a proxy war against Assad by arming and supporting Islamist rebels against him. Of course they didn't have the balls to directly attack him. In the process they flooded the region with weapons. They had been doing this for almost two years before Isis REALLY started to get out of hand and they had to start dropping thousands of bombs on them to contain their mistake.

Trump never had this alignment, was solely interested in removing Isis and did not care that Assad won the war. Ironically, Trump was the one who ever attacked Syrian forces directly, incidental to anti-Isis efforts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... _Civil_War" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anything, Obama was responsible for extending the war by years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_Sycamore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.foxnews.com/world/i-gave-th ... ian-rebels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Not sure letting al-Assad win is some sort of achievement. That guy murdered civilians and dropped chemical weapons on his own people. Not surprising that Trump doesn't care since he obviously has no moral compass. Putin is pretty happy about it though. What's the opposite of a Nobel Peace prize?

Meanwhile, Trump's moves have immensely complicated our strategy for the war on terror by betraying the Kurds, a key ally, and angering Turkey, another ally in the region. That's going to have long term consequences.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS UPDATED: OCTOBER 23, 2019 12:28 PM ET
(WASHINGTON) –– President Donald Trump said Wednesday he will lift sanctions on Turkey after the NATO ally agreed to permanently stop fighting Kurdish forces in Syria and he defended his decision to withdraw American troops, saying the U.S. should not be the world’s policeman.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

:roll: I'm sure the fact that this temporary cease fire has become permanent has nothing to do with all the Russian troops that Trump's buddy Putin just rolled into Syria.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote::roll: I'm sure the fact that this temporary cease fire has become permanent has nothing to do with all the Russian troops that Trump's buddy Putin just rolled into Syria.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with Syria's sponsor state (aka Russia) ensuring their security. For them to work in co-operation with a NATO ally is nothing short of amazing.

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:
Kpdemello wrote::roll: I'm sure the fact that this temporary cease fire has become permanent has nothing to do with all the Russian troops that Trump's buddy Putin just rolled into Syria.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with Syria's sponsor state (aka Russia) ensuring their security. For them to work in co-operation with a NATO ally is nothing short of amazing.
nope, orange man bad...kurds...impeach!!!!
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Highway Star wrote:
Huh? How are they working in co-operation with a NATO ally? It looks to me like the U.S. withdrew, left a power vacuum, and Russia came in and filled it. And now you have a new militarized border between a NATO ally (Turkey) and a Russian puppet (Syria). I'm not sure how this in any way can be considered an improvement.

In any case, my point was that any idea that this cease fire is the result of Trump's negotiations is nonsense. It's the result of Russia deploying their military.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
Huh? How are they working in co-operation with a NATO ally? It looks to me like the U.S. withdrew, left a power vacuum, and Russia came in and filled it. And now you have a new militarized border between a NATO ally (Turkey) and a Russian puppet (Syria). I'm not sure how this in any way can be considered an improvement.

In any case, my point was that any idea that this cease fire is the result of Trump's negotiations is nonsense. It's the result of Russia deploying their military.
Peace in Syria? How horrible!!!

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

You do realize there was "peace" before Trump withdrew our troops, right? This is no different than that, except for the fact that the guys now in charge of enforcing the peace (Russia) are pretty brutal. And they will continue to prop up Al-Assad, who might be worse. And a whole bunch of people lost their lives due to the conflict flare-up that occurred when Trump abruptly withdrew our forces without some sort of plan for the aftermath.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:orange man bad...always...
zzzzzzz....
mach es sehr schnell

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

"peace" in Syria today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3ScrSi2Kk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rez
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Rez »

And a whole bunch of people lost their lives due to the conflict flare-up that occurred when Trump abruptly withdrew our forces without some sort of plan for the aftermath.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

And how many of that "whole bunch of people" that lost their lives were American soldiers? Thanks to our president the answer is none. Because he's smart enough to realize its not in our interest to get involved in another internecine, tribal war that's been going on for centuries. He'd tried to broker a ceasefire. If/when that ceasefire fails the result won't be Americans coming home in caskets. Let them kill each other.

Let Putin have at it if that's what he wants to get involved with.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Rez wrote:And how many of that "whole bunch of people" that lost their lives were American soldiers? Thanks to our president the answer is none. Because he's smart enough to realize its not in our interest to get involved in another internecine, tribal war that's been going on for centuries. He'd tried to broker a ceasefire. If/when that ceasefire fails the result won't be Americans coming home in caskets. Let them kill each other.

You have a very valid point. My critique isn't so much that he withdrew our troops, but the manner in which he did it (abruptly with little planning for the aftermath). Mostly though I was responding to Highway's ridiculous claims earlier in the thread about Trump ending the Syrian civil war.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:
Rez wrote:And how many of that "whole bunch of people" that lost their lives were American soldiers? Thanks to our president the answer is none. Because he's smart enough to realize its not in our interest to get involved in another internecine, tribal war that's been going on for centuries. He'd tried to broker a ceasefire. If/when that ceasefire fails the result won't be Americans coming home in caskets. Let them kill each other.

You have a very valid point. My critique isn't so much that he withdrew our troops, but the manner in which he did it (abruptly with little planning for the aftermath). Mostly though I was responding to Highway's ridiculous claims earlier in the thread about Trump ending the Syrian civil war.
Most of the MSM is populated by morons.

Trump doesn't announce his military moves in advance, he has said this REPEATEDLY.

Clearly they had a plan for stability in northern Syria, which is why they pulled out.