More Road Construction

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Big Bob
Postinator

More Road Construction

Post by Big Bob »

Looks like it is our turn for those who use I-89, bridges at the River to be widened and replaced. only 1 bidder.:

https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/administrati ... d16148.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
brownman
Postinator

Re: More Road Construction

Post by brownman »

Acid r*in is a bad hombre :sad:
Happy to see them getting after that Vietnam Memorial :like
Going to be interesting to see how much longer they can ignore the rotted spans along VT 89 over the White River. :shock:

Hey, still not as bad as many of those dangerously defective bridges in the Commonwealth :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

I was told there used to be a spray system installed on those bridges that sprayed a brine solution onto the decks. This is the second worst bridge in NH, #2 on the Red List. NH owns to the high water mark on the VT side of the river, so we pay about 2/3's of the cost.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

So is this a new bridge - or fixing the bridge down to the river?

Sounds like a traffic mess......?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I guess "superstructure replace and widening" means a year of 1-lane traffic as they replace one of the spans and a 2nd year of 1-lane traffic as they replace the other span? The on-ramp from West Lebanon to I-89N is going to be ugly.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

I wold think they will do what I-91 did, run traffic one lane until the other structure is completed, then move traffic over using both NB and SB lanes on the new structures. Once the other side is complete they can move all to normal lanes, but have to leave a part closed to allow tear down of old structures. Depending on weather and other slow downs, could be up to 3 years in the making.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

There's plenty of info on traffic patterns for construction phasing on the NHDOT project website and in the Valley News. Just be glad you don't have to drive over it daily like me (unless you do). I'd get of at Exit 19 if the damn sewer work in Lebanon ever gets done.
Raise 'Em Jay
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I hear there this stuff called paint, it keeps rust at bay to make metal stuff last longer, and can be re-applied every few years.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

skixc2 wrote:There's plenty of info on traffic patterns for construction phasing on the NHDOT project website and in the Valley News. Just be glad you don't have to drive over it daily like me (unless you do). I'd get of at Exit 19 if the damn sewer work in Lebanon ever gets done.
Yeah West Leb has had that Peak Lodge aroma for far too many years :wink:
.. and epoxy paint dont work so well on 45 year old I89 structural steel and emaciated concrete :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Anybody know why it is down to only one lane Southbound on I-91 in Greenfield Mass? Exit 26

It's been that way all summer and I hope it's not going into the winter! Just like 8 years ago! Geez

Only thing I could fine was https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/project ... S_CODE=All" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont see it listed anywhere.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

brownman wrote: .. and epoxy paint dont work so well on 45 year old I89 structural steel and emaciated concrete :sad: :Toast
Obviously paint has little benefit once damage has been done. Consider the Arrigoni Bridge, built in 1938 in Middletown, CT. Lots of road salt, has been repainted at least twice, and has had the concrete deck repaired/replaced. Whereas I can't remember the last time I saw an interstate bridge being cleaned/painted.

I think I read where the Golden Gate Bridge gets repainted every 7 years.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

RustyK wrote:Anybody know why it is down to only one lane Southbound on I-91 in Greenfield Mass? Exit 26

It's been that way all summer and I hope it's not going into the winter! Just like 8 years ago! Geez

Only thing I could fine was https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/project ... S_CODE=All" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m really curious about this one too. It’s super narrow and difficult.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Skivt2 wrote:
RustyK wrote:Anybody know why it is down to only one lane Southbound on I-91 in Greenfield Mass? Exit 26

I got off at exit 26 going South and the f-ing on ramp to get back onto 91 was closed. They detour you North up to Rt 2 where you can finally turn around. There was a lot of cursing going on during that detour.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Skivt2 wrote:

Drove up 91 thru Mass this weekend, down to one lane thru the winter would suck for traffic Friday night, but to say driving thru it is difficult? If that's a problem you should take some driving lessons.
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

daytripper wrote:
Skivt2 wrote:

Drove up 91 thru Mass this weekend, down to one lane thru the winter would suck for traffic Friday night, but to say driving thru it is difficult? If that's a problem you should take some driving lessons.
My first thoughts too. I-91 Holyoke to Brattelboro is the easiest drive I can think of in the northeast. Straight, minimal traffic, and very few surprises. Generally well-paved as well (save for that damn bridge over the railroad in Greenfield). Sunday ski traffic coming home the road is definitely busier but the left lane flies consistently at 75-78mph.

I'm telling you though, quite literally once you enter Connecticut it's night and day. Springfield on north- people stay right and pass on the left and do within 10mph of the speed limit (faster or slower). Enfield-Hartford random people doing 45mph in the middle, people using the slow lane to do 80mph, poor merging galore.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST