Power Outage

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Killington Resort
The Beast

Power Outage

Post by Killington Resort »

Yesterday morning a tree fell and knocked out our power at approximately 9:40 am. Additionally, it knocked out our radios which hindered communication between staff making it difficult to get information to guests in a timely fashion. Green Mountain Power fixed the problem and restored power by early afternoon. By 11:00 am we were able to reopen Skyeship Gondola Stage 2. Then around 12:30 pm, we reopened Skye Peak Express Quad and the rest in the affected area followed suit. The rest of the mountain ran as usual and looking ahead to today, we anticipate normal lift operations. We’re sorry for the inconvenience. When the lifts went down, we dispatched as many shuttles as possible (big and small – whatever we could get) to move people out of both Skyeship Base and Bear Mountain. The challenge is we don’t have enough buses available to meet such high demand. Our team prides itself on always improving and we will debrief on this situation and work to improve on the process for the future.
I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Solimano
President & General Manager
Killington/Pico Ski Resort Partners, LLC
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: Power Outage

Post by RustyK »

Thanks Mike.

It was a tough day for the staff and the crowds.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Thanks Mike. In a tough situation you do the best you can.

Thanks for the candy canes on the cars.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Looks like it was a bad day all around.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/skier ... ailsignout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Mike,
We appreciate the transparency. Had the radio dispatch network not gone down, clearly communications would have been rapid as normal. Thanks for reaching out to the community. Please share with Mountain Ops today’s surface conditions were dramatically better that yesterday. A pleasant surprise do to the outstanding groomer team and snowmakers.

Think snow tonight and tomorrow!

TAS ( The Amazing Spyderman )
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I don't see any of the regulars complaining much. These things happen. Some weird voodoo that it always seems to be during a peak period. Overall it was handled well within the limits of what was possible. Glad to read there will a post mortem/hot wash, to figure out what to do better next time.

Intrigued by the time (9:40). I think my first post was at 10:33, about 15 minutes after I saw both the Needles and Skyeship stop while I was on Needles having just gotten off SPE. Having been stuck in Needles after a lightning strike shut down the lifts for a half hour, I immediately told everyone in our party (as well as others) to wait until they started up again. We were at the crossover, and didn't want to hike out. Talked to my son-in-law via cell stuck on the SPE and it was clear this was a serious outage, obviously electrical. We all ducked the net, and headed towards KBL via the cross over, where I posted the report. I hope it helped a few people. Anyway, the time of the failure isn't significant, other than perhaps K's response was faster than they are giving themselves credit for.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Thank you Mike. I was stuck on the OL express at the time of the outage. Thank you for the voucher. It's unfortunate that this happened during the holiday week.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Unfortunate timing but sh*t happens Mike, you guys have been doing an amazing job at Killington and this is just a minor bump in the road. Interestingly power went out on our road at about the same time in Plymouth for a several hours, wonder if it was related.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

rogman wrote:I don't see any of the regulars complaining much.

:shock: :lol:
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Got stuck on the Snowdon triple today for 25 minutes and was worried it was another power outage. I have no idea why it stopped for so long.
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

Just found this post from 2019. Amazing how the level of communication and concern for public opinion of the mountain has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

They’re broke and the place is falling apart. Other than a new lodge, which rarely has everything open, the place is in ruins.
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

skibikeclimbguy wrote: Jan 31st, '24, 08:53 They’re broke and the place is falling apart. Other than a new lodge, which rarely has everything open, the place is in ruins.
But people are going to pay 1,000,000 plus for those new townhomes and condos in the fancy village!
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

skibikeclimbguy wrote: Jan 31st, '24, 08:53 They’re broke and the place is falling apart. Other than a new lodge, which rarely has everything open, the place is in ruins.
tired of this. theyre owned by a billionaire, john cummings.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Winner of "Stupid Poast of the Day" award. :banana:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe