Whats up with the lifts at K ???

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

bruceol
Green Skidder

Whats up with the lifts at K ???

Post by bruceol »

Whats up with the lifts at K?? Bear chair down..K 1 down..Snowshed down....
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Whats up with the lifts at K ???

Post by fdskier56 »

Great question.

Seems every weekend we are asking the same question.
Constant issues ....with various lifts.

Would love to hear directly from management.

They post here on occasion.

They definitely should let us know what’s going on.
And don’t just blame GMP.

All of us deserve some answers.
So far, the silence is deafening.

Someone said Mike S was helping direct cars in the parking lot today.
Maybe he should be in the office dealing with the bigger issues...
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

hmmm. was planning to head up tomorrow. methinks i'll brave whatever crowds at mrg...
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Lots of reasons:
1. Killington has a lot of lifts, 22; and 6 high speed quads, 3 gondolas (yeah, stage 1 and 2 are really two separate gondolas), so there's a lot more to go wrong than any other mountain in the North East.

2. KillingtonZone has a tendency to put everything under a microscope. Sunday River has a forum, but it's run by the mountain. You better believe critical stuff gets nuked. AlpineZone is ad driven, and aggressive mods that seem to protect their respective home resorts. Mods here do not nuke stuff that is critical of the mountain, even when they know (or should know) it is incorrect. Lot of information on this site is garbage.

3. There are a few misanthropes on this site that tend to be hypercritical and are quick to blame the mountain when problems arise, even when it is something beyond the mountain's control, for example, issues with Green Mtn Power. Personally, I've learned not to put much credence in anything they say. Too often I'm reading, "I know for a fact" and it is obviously BS. I'd name them, but I really don't need another flame war.

4. The design of Killington is such that beginners can pretty much ride any lift. They tend to have more problems, but to be fair, I was responsible for a brief slowdown on the Needles lift: got distracted talking to a 5 year old, a bit slow raising the bar, lifty slowed the lift for about 10 seconds. Sorry all! All that aside, my subjective observation is that there tend to be far fewer stoppages weekdays due to the smaller crowds, and the ability levels are higher.

5. Signal to noise; statistics. People are actually really poor at evaluating probabilities. Yeah, they can get a coin flip right, but more complicated stuff they fail miserably. Spend a little time with Bayesian statistics and you'll have a better appreciation for just how bad the issue is. In addition, failures themselves are a random process. They can come in bunches, but over time revert to the mean. Doesn't mean anything. It is easy to get fooled by noise, and see things that aren't really there.

All that aside, I do believe there are some underlying issues with the bubble. It is a new design, and I think they are still working out the kinks. Having a major Leitner Poma repair center up the street in Pittsfield is certainly a plus. Expecting the mountain to go public on the issues is a bit much though. You don't get full disclosure about aircraft issues either, and you don't want it. As K said in Men in Black, "People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

As for yesterday's problems: Bear was an issue with Green Mtn Power. The Gondi shut down for 15 minutes. Lifty told me it was a sheave problem and would be about 15 minutes, however they had to get everyone off to make the repair. Probably not the sort of thing you want to risk doing with passengers aboard. That didn't work out well at Sugarloaf. It is unfortunate that the information provided to the ambassadors was so poor; in general I find them to be in the dark about ops issues. Probably better; most of them don't understand technical issues anyway.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

KillingtonZone has a tendency to put everything under a microscope. Sunday River has a forum, but it's run by the mountain.

Sunday River shut down the mountain run forum a few years back. Current forum was started by none other than our own Junior, so I would guess he is running it!

http://sundayrivercommunity.proboards.c ... discussion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Big Bob wrote:KillingtonZone has a tendency to put everything under a microscope. Sunday River has a forum, but it's run by the mountain.

Sunday River shut down the mountain run forum a few years back. Current forum was started by none other than our own Junior, so I would guess he is running it!

http://sundayrivercommunity.proboards.c ... discussion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
St Jerry?
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

St. Jerry here. What you want?
Ron Paul 2012
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Web forums have little or nothing to do with proper engineering, installation and operation of lift systems. :roll:
K doesn't have sufficient technical expertise to properly oversee its sprawling lift infrastructure.
They are top heavy on Customer Service people for a reason.
Easy to blame GMP for some issues .. butt Green Mountain Controls are the likely culprit behind the Spinnaker Snafu.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

They have issues somewhere. It’s not a lift or a power issue - it’s across the board. Something’s a miss.

You go ski out west and there’s never brown lifts or extended down times. Those places have upwards of 10-20+ detach lifts.

I’d be pissed if I was a paying customer and had numerous lifts broke.
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

A few years ago sugarbush had a tough year with lifts.
Rumors of lack of lift mechanics etc.

Win smith and sugarbush would give regular updates-
Wins word, website, emails to pass holders, regular posts on alpinezone.com forums

Sure would be nice to hear something from Killington
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Nikoli wrote:
Big Bob wrote:KillingtonZone has a tendency to put everything under a microscope. Sunday River has a forum, but it's run by the mountain.

St Jerry?
No! JUNIOR, who rarely posts here anymore and is still alive.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Well I rarely post here and am still alive!

Humpty Out!
Ron Paul 2012
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Well I rarely post here and am still alive!

Humpty Out!
Ron Paul 2012
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

brownman wrote:Web forums have little or nothing to do with proper engineering, installation and operation of lift systems. :roll:
K doesn't have sufficient technical expertise to properly oversee its sprawling lift infrastructure.
They are top heavy on Customer Service people for a reason.
Easy to blame GMP for some issues .. butt Green Mountain Controls are the likely culprit behind the Spinnaker Snafu.

:Toast
https://www.facebook.com/35714238138/ph ... =3&theater
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Big Bob wrote:
Nikoli wrote:

St Jerry?
No! JUNIOR, who rarely posts here anymore and is still alive.
Junior who?
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus