NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Post by Guy in Shorts »

daytripper wrote: May 13th, '22, 19:29
Dickc wrote: May 13th, '22, 12:37
daytripper wrote: May 13th, '22, 08:50 Yup, the two worst presidents in my lifetime are who we had to lead us thru this pandemic.
You must have been born after 1980, thus never had to put up with Jimmy Carter.......
1978, so while alive, I have no recollection of the Carter administration.
I remember 14.5% adjustable mortgage on my first condo. Carter did not treat those in the military very well. Regan came along and raised military pay and pride.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Guy in Shorts wrote: May 14th, '22, 05:51
daytripper wrote: May 13th, '22, 19:29
Dickc wrote: May 13th, '22, 12:37
daytripper wrote: May 13th, '22, 08:50 Yup, the two worst presidents in my lifetime are who we had to lead us thru this pandemic.
You must have been born after 1980, thus never had to put up with Jimmy Carter.......
1978, so while alive, I have no recollection of the Carter administration.
I remember 14.5% adjustable mortgage on my first condo. Carter did not treat those in the military very well. Regan came along and raised military pay and pride.
Not a Vet, but my first mortgage was at 15.75, locked in at closing. When we first applied, it was 16.75. This was under Reagan by the way, but it was the leftover legacy of the over spending spree by the USA from the mid 60’s to the late 70’s. It’s why many of us see “deja vu all over again” in the current spurt of inflation and Fed rate hikes. I am seeing “stagflation”, unless the same type of clamp down is used. As the Fed is more or less independent, time will tell if its brought under control soon, or is stagflation becomes the norm again.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Clearly the Carter administration was a failure in many ways - not the least of which was foreign policy - but, as with any failed administrations, there were positives as well. Deregulation of energy and airlines began under Carter and the Democratic Congress. Deregulation of energy resulted in vastly increased supply of natural gas and oil as well as the start of electricity deregulation (a process still evolving) and air travel became affordable for many more travelers than ever before.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: May 14th, '22, 11:06 Clearly the Carter administration was a failure in many ways - not the least of which was foreign policy - but, as with any failed administrations, there were positives as well. Deregulation of energy and airlines began under Carter and the Democratic Congress. Deregulation of energy resulted in vastly increased supply of natural gas and oil as well as the start of electricity deregulation (a process still evolving) and air travel became affordable for many more travelers than ever before.
Carter catches a lot of blame for the stagflation situation, but it wasn't really his fault. It was largely caused by an easy-money Fed which, ironically, was pressured by Nixon to pursue that policy to help him win votes. Sound familiar?

Interestingly, Reagan, early in his first term, was about as popular as Biden is today for about the same reason - out of control inflation. We're seeing the start of fed tightening (like what happened early in Regan's term) but to a much lesser degree than in Regan's day. Hopefully this Fed can tame inflation without raising rates to nosebleed levels.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

About time they end the covid public emergency, should have been a year ago.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

daytripper wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 17:47 About time they end the covid public emergency, should have been a year ago.
When there was nearly 2,500 deaths per day?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 18:38
daytripper wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 17:47 About time they end the covid public emergency, should have been a year ago.
When there was nearly 2,500 deaths per day?
Yes
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Eh, the "public emergency" thing is more about stuff you don't see - providing funding and resources for hospitals and special measures to deal with an ongoing problem.

Here's a list of public emergencies declared in the last 15 years or so. You'll find it happens almost every year about some problem or issue, and in many years it happens multiple times. It's a big country, and public emergencies happen all the time.
https://aspr.hhs.gov/legal/PHE/Pages/default.aspx

On the other hand, I do think some aspects of the government's covid response should have been scaled back sooner. In particular, the huge government hand outs of stimulus should have ended way before they did, and the second round of PPP was probably nnecessary.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Totally normal

Florida surgeon general altered key findings in study on Covid-19 vaccine safety
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/2 ... e-00093510
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo personally altered a state-driven study about Covid-19 vaccines last year to suggest that some doses pose a significantly higher health risk for young men than had been established by the broader medical community, according to a newly obtained document.

Ladapo’s changes, released as part of a public records request, presented the risks of cardiac death to be more severe than previous versions of the study.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Most likely nothing will come of it, my opinion is he should end up in jail for that. Screwing with info that can save lives is beyond wrong.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Johns Hopkins stopped collecting data, and so has VT. I found this interesting look back for CT, which is still tracking data:
COVID CT 00-03.jpg
COVID CT 00-03.jpg (62.05 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Confirmed cumulative (total to date) COVID deaths for CT stands at 9,962. For 3.6 million residents, that's a 0.27% or .0027 death rate. Over 2 years the average is 4,981 deaths per year from COVID in 20-21 and 21-22. This compares to 7,138 deaths per year for heart disease, 6,608 for cancer, and 2,078 for accidents. That would make COVID the third leading cause of death for those 2 years.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 26th, '23, 14:15Confirmed cumulative (total to date) COVID deaths for CT stands at 9,962. For 3.6 million residents, that's a 0.27% or .0027 death rate. Over 2 years the average is 4,981 deaths per year from COVID in 20-21 and 21-22. This compares to 7,138 deaths per year for heart disease, 6,608 for cancer, and 2,078 for accidents. That would make COVID the third leading cause of death for those 2 years.
I'm sure there will be studies in the future (maybe there are already some?), but what would be CT's death rate had we done nothing? No changes. No social distancing, no quarantine, no masking, no vaccines, nothing.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

NYT admits COVID deaths were exaggerated:

With vs. from
Covid’s toll, to be clear, has not fallen to zero. The C.D.C.’s main Covid webpage estimates that about 80 people per day have been dying from the virus in recent weeks, which is equal to about 1 percent of overall daily deaths.

The official number is probably an exaggeration because it includes some people who had virus when they died even though it was not the underlying cause of death. Other C.D.C. data suggests that almost one-third of official recent Covid deaths have fallen into this category. A study published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases came to similar conclusions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/17/briefing/covid.html

There had been a lot of discussion here on how deaths were tallied, and that counts and rates were inflated. There were financial incentives for hospitals to report more COVID deaths and some argued how wrong that statement was. "Oh, no, our sacred health care system would never inflate numbers" assured some of you. There was talk on why the death rates in the US trailed the rest of the world, with blame being thrown in several directions... except over reporting.

Follow the money. While not always a direct relationship, the odds are very much in favor of it being a factor.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mister Moose wrote: Jul 23rd, '23, 07:58 NYT admits COVID deaths were exaggerated:

With vs. from
Covid’s toll, to be clear, has not fallen to zero. The C.D.C.’s main Covid webpage estimates that about 80 people per day have been dying from the virus in recent weeks, which is equal to about 1 percent of overall daily deaths.

The official number is probably an exaggeration because it includes some people who had virus when they died even though it was not the underlying cause of death. Other C.D.C. data suggests that almost one-third of official recent Covid deaths have fallen into this category. A study published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases came to similar conclusions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/17/briefing/covid.html

There had been a lot of discussion here on how deaths were tallied, and that counts and rates were inflated. There were financial incentives for hospitals to report more COVID deaths and some argued how wrong that statement was. "Oh, no, our sacred health care system would never inflate numbers" assured some of you. There was talk on why the death rates in the US trailed the rest of the world, with blame being thrown in several directions... except over reporting.

Follow the money. While not always a direct relationship, the odds are very much in favor of it being a factor.
Which “some of you” would that be?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Bubba wrote: Jul 23rd, '23, 09:30 Which “some of you” would that be?
Why does it matter? I didn't feel it necessary to out people or do the tedious searching. Those who refused to see the hospitals inflating numbers know who they are. How many decades will it take to add climate change to the government money inflating figures list?