NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: NSR: Corona Virus - You Can Start Panicking Now

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

throbster wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 08:48Fools like you (a.k.a. Biden voters) were more than happy to wear masks if the gubberment told them to, despite what the science says. "Jump? How high comrade?"
In Mark chapter 12 Jesus says “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” As a Christian, how do you balance commands from Jesus with disobeying Government rules / regulations around masks? Unless you obey the rules, but are just unhappy about it, which then I'd agree with you.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I don't think that's what that verse means. I don't think Jesus was saying, "do what the government tells you to do." In context, I think the Pharisees were trying to trick Jesus into saying something unpopular (that Jews should support Rome by paying taxes) and he resolved it by saying, basically, that his message had nothing to do with politics. I think this is made clearer in the subsequent portions of the New Testament when the apostles deliberately violated government edicts to stop preaching the gospel.

I think you're more on track with the "do unto others" stuff and the loving thy neighbor stuff. Wearing a mask is about protecting the community, not just yourself. It is selfish to not wear the mask just because you think it's uncomfortable or inconvenient when it may harm your neighbor. Etc. Therefore I think it's pretty hard to square being a Christian with being anti-mask or anti-vax.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 09:06 I think you're more on track with the "do unto others" stuff and the loving thy neighbor stuff. Wearing a mask according to our current and constantly being updated understanding is about protecting the community to a certain degree, not just yourself. It is selfish to not wear the mask just because you think it's uncomfortable or inconvenient when it may harm your neighbor. Etc.
Fixed it for you.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Fair edits. I accept them.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 08:53
throbster wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 08:48 Now that the evidence is abundantly clear that masks have little to no effect in stopping transmission (and are harming our children)
I'm not sure what evidence you're talking about, because this has never been true and is not true now. The primary reason governments are ceasing mask mandates is that community spread has dropped significantly and herd immunity has increased significantly. Which is exactly what they said would trigger cessation of mask mandates when they first introduced them. If I am missing something, please explain what it might be?
Omicron spread like wildfire with all the mask mandates in place.

I can always tell when you clowns are loosing an argument when you start quoting the bible.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 09:06 I don't think that's what that verse means. I don't think Jesus was saying, "do what the government tells you to do." In context, I think the Pharisees were trying to trick Jesus into saying something unpopular (that Jews should support Rome by paying taxes) and he resolved it by saying, basically, that his message had nothing to do with politics. I think this is made clearer in the subsequent portions of the New Testament when the apostles deliberately violated government edicts to stop preaching the gospel.
I think Jesus was saying if we reap the benefits of the government than we obey the government. Paul says something similar in Romans chapter 13 (also relating to taxes).

I think the question for Christians is when we can / cannot act in civil disobedience. As you mentioned, there are righteous acts of civil disobedience in scripture.

Is the mask orders requiring us to sin? Prohibiting something God has commanded or commanding something God has prohibited? Singling out and/or discriminating against churches or believers?

The answers to all these questions is no. As a result, civil disobedience relating to mask orders would not be righteous. It's a hard truth that makes many Christians uncomfortable, but following Christ isn't supposed to be comfortable. My pastor often says God is using COVID to prune the church of vines that aren't producing fruit.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 09:31 Omicron spread like wildfire with all the mask mandates in place.
Right and tiger repellant works because I wear it all the time and I've yet to be attacked by a tiger. Correlation does not equal causation. What you're citing is not science, it's reaching a conclusion based on your preconceived notions.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 09:38 I think Jesus was saying if we reap the benefits of the government than we obey the government. Paul says something similar in Romans chapter 13 (also relating to taxes).

I think the question for Christians is when we can / cannot act in civil disobedience. As you mentioned, there are righteous acts of civil disobedience in scripture.

Is the mask orders requiring us to sin? Prohibiting something God has commanded or commanding something God has prohibited? Singling out and/or discriminating against churches or believers?

The answers to all these questions is no. As a result, civil disobedience relating to mask orders would not be righteous. It's a hard truth that makes many Christians uncomfortable, but following Christ isn't supposed to be comfortable. My pastor often says God is using COVID to prune the church of vines that aren't producing fruit.
I think we should be very careful in taking cues from the Bible on how government and religion mix. I don't think the Bible is much of a guide for telling us when we can or cannot act in civil disobedience. Many if not most decisions in politics are pragmatic and have nothing to do with moral teachings. For example, at one point Monarchies used to claim a divine right to govern. But in reality the decision between setting up a monarchy or a democracy as your form of government is a pragmatic one that has nothing to do with the Bible or morality or religion.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 09:38My pastor often says God is using COVID to prune the church of vines that aren't producing fruit.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but I find this statement repugnant. People who catch covid and die or who make decisions for their own health are not doing so because they did anything wrong or objectionable to God. Covid is a disease that doesn't discriminate between the righteous and the unrighteous.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 10:08Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but I find this statement repugnant. People who catch covid and die or who make decisions for their own health are not doing so because they did anything wrong or objectionable to God. Covid is a disease that doesn't discriminate between the righteous and the unrighteous.
My fault for not adding more context ... he said this when discussing 1 Timothy 1 (e.g., many Christian leaders and Christians in general have been teaching false doctrines or devoting themselves to myths). In other words, these folks aren't yielding fruit and are leaving the church for leaders teaching false doctrines (or they're just leaving altogether).
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Ah, that makes more sense. I assume he's just talking about his specific church then, because many of these folks are heading to teachers who call themselves Christians while embracing myths and false doctrines. So from the perspective of an outsider, these people are still in the Christian church in general.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 10:34 Ah, that makes more sense. I assume he's just talking about his specific church then, because many of these folks are heading to teachers who call themselves Christians while embracing myths and false doctrines. So from the perspective of an outsider, these people are still in the Christian church in general.
Yes, that's right. The temptation of myth and false doctrine is strong to some.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

throbster wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 08:48
easyrider16 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 07:07 Oh, because it polled so well when it was first implemented? Sheesh. Occam's razor, man. The narrative was bullsh!t to begin with, as I pointed out last year:
easyrider16 wrote: May 20th, '21, 22:00 Question - how on earth is wearing a mask in any way related to a left-wing agenda? Do you people think wearing a mask will cause people to suddenly support more liberal policies? Do you think that politicians who tell people to wear masks will somehow become more popular? I don't get the connection.

You can tell me it's about control, but my response is, to what end? What does it achieve to force people to wear masks unnecessarily? Seems to me the only thing it would accomplish is pissing people off, and I have no idea why the left would want to do that.
You would think this would be one of those lightbulb moments when people who listen to the opinion folks on Fox News et. al. would realize they'd been had. But I guess tribalism wins out over common sense most of the time.
Fools like you (a.k.a. Biden voters) were more than happy to wear masks if the gubberment told them to, despite what the science says. "Jump? How high comrade?"

Now that the evidence is abundantly clear that masks have little to no effect in stopping transmission (and are harming our children), and more and more elite liberal fools are being caught ignoring the rules, spineless Dem leaders have no choice but to end the mandates (they read the polls and watch the news and see that the country will not take it any more... like Canada).

If I didn't know better, it almost sounds like you and jibberish are disappointed that mask mandates are going away. How will you virtue signal now?
And with impeccable timing, this from the Babylon Bee:

https://babylonbee.com/news/leftists-de ... -to-normal

:barebutt:

You libs are insufferable fools, please don't make it worse with your thoughts on scripture. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

- Simon and Garfunkel
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

More evidence that Covid has altered how workers think about their jobs

Work-From-Home Spurs Blue-Collar Americans to Seek Career Shifts

https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-e ... eer-shifts
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The removal of mask mandates by States should include school children as well. In my state, New York, adults don't have to mask and children do in school. I don't see why children in school must wear a mask at this point. Vaccines are available and children are lowest risk among all age groups.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Feb 11th, '22, 10:16 The removal of mask mandates by States should include school children as well. In my state, New York, adults don't have to mask and children do in school. I don't see why children in school must wear a mask at this point. Vaccines are available and children are lowest risk among all age groups.
'Cause the governor is a stupid democrat

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Feb 11th, '22, 10:19
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Feb 11th, '22, 10:16 The removal of mask mandates by States should include school children as well. In my state, New York, adults don't have to mask and children do in school. I don't see why children in school must wear a mask at this point. Vaccines are available and children are lowest risk among all age groups.
'Cause the governor is a stupid democrat
I'm not sure that her opinion being different than mine makes her stupid? She plans to revisit the mandate for schools in March, but I think she should have revisit it at the same time she did adults. I'm guessing she's hesitant due to lower vaccination rates among children, but they're so low risk I don't think it warrants drawing this out any longer. The lack of transparency in these decision is often the root cause of so much angst.