Its time to open uphill travel.

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Its time to open uphill travel.

Post by LocalSanity »

Seriously, make it open to uphill travel at your own risk to Vermont residents only. Game wardens are policing trail heads, making sure that there aren't too many cars in the parking lots. Im sure censor security or some furloughed employees would love the opportunity to tell people to go home. I bet they could even get a patroller or two to volunteer for extra safety.
throbster
Postaholic

Re: Its time to open uphill travel.

Post by throbster »

Uphill travel via the Superstar Quad!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

throbster wrote:Uphill travel via the Superstar Quad!
I think this could work, but as we saw in the last weekend of lift service, they really can't effectively enforce distancing in lift lines, also I think that this would draw too much of a crowd. Vermonters from all over the state would show up, smearing covid all over the seats, and safety bars.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

agree. i've behaved since they instituted the "ban" but it's time. on the webcam just saw a group of 4 coming down dreammaker. haven't observed anyone on the front side.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

1 person per chair (2 if both are good with it), face covering, gloves, green plates only. At risk folks stay home.

If people come from all over VT, who cares?

If we are safe walking around the grocery store and Home Depot, we can effing ski on the side of a GD mountain!!!! This has gotten ridiculous.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Seems simple to just allow uphill travel and say it's your own risk, but the reality is, if they allow this, they're still liable if you get hurt. And if you get seriously hurt and your friends can't help you or move you and need to be brought down off the mountain, who do you think will be doing that?

I was scanning all the vermont cams and noticed a couple people at the top of Stratton actually getting in some turns. Didn't look like there was enough up there a week ago to actually safely make some turns so can't imagine what little snow they got helped much, but they were turning and disappeared from the camera...

I also don't think right now, with the closures across the state mandated by the govt, they can even attempt to run the lift and open 1 trail either even if it's for a couple people. Unfortunately I just can't see where they will open again for lift served. 99% sure it's over for the season. Time to move on to summer and hope that works out and hope for the best next season. We still don't have a clue what it's gonna be like in 6 months! I don't think I can take a whole year of this insanity! :bang
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

:beat :beat

:bang
Forever .. Goat Path
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

RENO wrote:Seems simple to just allow uphill travel and say it's your own risk, but the reality is, if they allow this, they're still liable if you get hurt. And if you get seriously hurt and your friends can't help you or move you and need to be brought down off the mountain, who do you think will be doing that?
I don't understand how the resort would be liable. They aren't liable if you get hurt when they are open. (They are only if there is negligence or fault of the company, like if an employee hits you with a snowmobile, or if they don't stop the lift when you fall.)

As far as who would be doing the rescue: there are a couple of options depending on location and severity. As i mentioned, ideally a patroller would staff at the top, but if the resort is unable to respond, local resources would have to be tapped into. Regional Ambulance would respond, but they are kind of limited to how far the medic is willing to walk, Killington Search and rescue would probably be dispatched, and they would walk a sled to the injured party and bring them to the ambulance.

They really don't even have to tell anyone, they can just take down the cones and not stop people from parking at the bottom of superstar, just like we do every May, when the lifts are closed midweek.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Lots of downhill travel today on the webcams.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

LocalSanity wrote:
RENO wrote:Seems simple to just allow uphill travel and say it's your own risk, but the reality is, if they allow this, they're still liable if you get hurt. And if you get seriously hurt and your friends can't help you or move you and need to be brought down off the mountain, who do you think will be doing that?
I don't understand how the resort would be liable. They aren't liable if you get hurt when they are open. (They are only if there is negligence or fault of the company, like if an employee hits you with a snowmobile, or if they don't stop the lift when you fall.)

As far as who would be doing the rescue: there are a couple of options depending on location and severity. As i mentioned, ideally a patroller would staff at the top, but if the resort is unable to respond, local resources would have to be tapped into. Regional Ambulance would respond, but they are kind of limited to how far the medic is willing to walk, Killington Search and rescue would probably be dispatched, and they would walk a sled to the injured party and bring them to the ambulance.

They really don't even have to tell anyone, they can just take down the cones and not stop people from parking at the bottom of superstar, just like we do every May, when the lifts are closed midweek.
So then just do it and don't bitch about it or post about it on social media and nobody will care.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Looks like uphill travel is going on with or without permission.

Open the damn lifts and quit treating everyone like children
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

LocalSanity wrote:

K will not provide any patrollers. If you get injured and need assistance you'll be liable for the cost of evac or body recovery. Why would you even jeopardize a first responder. That's like walking on thin pond ice. Just stupid.
If you want to ski that bad. Hop a germ rocket to the southern hemisphere.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

We would be down to weekends only by this point so covid or not there wouldn't be any lifts running tomorrow.
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

ANGUS wrote: If you get injured and need assistance you'll be liable for the cost of evac or body recovery. Why would you even jeopardize a first responder. That's like walking on thin pond ice. Just stupid.
If you want to ski that bad. Hop a germ rocket to the southern hemisphere.
In the state of Vermont, you cannot be charged for SAR. The responders have lower call volume than normal right now, and I'm sure they would much rather rescue me outside than any pt with a respiratory problem, which actually puts them at risk. It's not like "walking on thin pond ice" it's like skiing superstar weekdays in May, which I do every year. There are usually a few cars at the bottom of superstar, and we normally keep our distance.
LocalSanity
Blue Chatterbox

Post by LocalSanity »

daytripper wrote:We would be down to weekends only by this point so covid or not there wouldn't be any lifts running tomorrow.
Yes, and I would like to walk up like I do weekdays in May every spring.