Memorial Day Weekend - 2020

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Memorial Day Weekend - 2020

Post by GnarDawg »

Just wondering what it was like up there over the long weekend crowd wise? I saw a post saying outdoor seating was opening at restaurants. Was there a large influx of people?
biged
Slalom Racer

Re: Memorial Day Weekend - 2020

Post by biged »

Wasn't that crowded. VT state police checking on 14 day quarantine on access road. Bugs are out, and not enough people to get bit. K hired security to enforce the ban. Crevasses starting to form on the glacier. The Clear has the nicest local venue for outdoor eating currently. The hotdog stand opposite sugar and spice is best deal on a budget. The stand in clarendon gives you the biggest serving of ice cream. Like the seafood at the stand in Bethel, good to pick up for a picnic on the river. Green Mountain is in Better shape then K course. Think I will try Lake St Catherine this week. Summary of week.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I think there were plenty of visitors in town, although nothing like it would've been sans Covid 19 restrictions. People seemed to be behaving themselves as far as I could tell. My neighbors - weekenders from NJ and MA - came up to check on their houses or work on them after several months away but stayed a very safe distance from those of us who live here or out of staters who've been here for two months and more. Conversations took place from well past 6'. Several restaurants on Killington Road had outdoor seating set up, none of which seemed very busy when we drove past. Takeout still seems to be the preferred dining experience, possibly because of black fly season being in full swing. No scenes like that shown on TV from Lake of the Ozarks.

Never saw state troopers or local K police checking 14 day quarantine on the access road nor did I see Censor Security enforcing any bans, just their cars parked as always across from the Grand.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Vermont's tourism business is going nowhere until the 14 day quarantine is lifted. No out-of stater is going to visit until that changes. My sailboat is in the water so no need to head north to sit in my condo and do nothing.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Good weekend down on the White River.
Few kayaks, 1 flotilla, 2 big Harley rallys rolled thru 8)
Big Fireworks .. cleared the bear from the valley :lol:
No Lawmen :like

:Toast

ps. GMNGC playing well :like
Forever .. Goat Path
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Busier, by Far, than past couple months.

Nothing like it should have been.

W.r.t. outdoor dining, I think it's a joke. Allows for maybe 10% of normal business and subject to weather. Hope it helps some business to stay afloat but doubt it.

With that said, will check it out midweek.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Great having outdoor table service back down here. Went out 2 nights.

Like Pinnacle Jim said, no reason to go up there and sit in a condo.

Biking, golfing, and boating all good down here. Besides, the locals want my head on a stick if you look at FB Locals.. :roll:

Was a good weekend.
NoCovidhere.jpg
NoCovidhere.jpg (143.89 KiB) Viewed 932 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

RustyK wrote: Like Pinnacle Jim said, no reason to go up there and sit in a condo.

Biking, golfing, and boating all good down here. Besides, the locals want my head on a stick if you look at FB Locals.. :roll:

Was a good weekend.
NoCovidhere.jpg
Same for us. Stripers are in and caught a bunch of schoolies over the weekend. Mt Bike trails are dry. Would like to get up but also not interested in sitting around. Might have to get up at some point for a night to give the place a once over.

Keeping an eye on the 14 day quarantine thing. We had fully planned on 365 passes for the whole family, but not doing that unless the quarantine is lifted or K comes up with some sort of assurance for that in the pass holder promise.

I'd imagine sales for those are way way down right now for this very reason
Don't Killington Pico
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

So how exactly do the cops check on 14 day quarantine? See a car in front of a condo and knock on the door to ask if they are in quarantine? Something else?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

SkiDork wrote:So how exactly do the cops check on 14 day quarantine? See a car in front of a condo and knock on the door to ask if they are in quarantine? Something else?
my guess is its stops and interviews on the rd, like a dui checkpoint...still just taking their word for it as there is no "proof of quarantine" documentation....kinda pointless...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

madhatter wrote:
SkiDork wrote:So how exactly do the cops check on 14 day quarantine? See a car in front of a condo and knock on the door to ask if they are in quarantine? Something else?
my guess is its stops and interviews on the rd, like a dui checkpoint...still just taking their word for it as there is no "proof of quarantine" documentation....kinda pointless...
Yeah, I'm not sure how enforceable it is, but i'm sure there are a number of people not coming up / holding off on buying passes because of it.

Another thought is if contact tracing ramps up, and someone is found to be a source by bringing it to an area while violating the 14 day quarantine order, what type of liability could there be for that person?
Don't Killington Pico
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

I’d prefer being stop-checked by the constable, then take the scrutiny from the locals! Sure all you locals on here say you don’t see it happening - well, just because it does not happen in front of you, does not mean it does not happen :|
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

I know that if you travel to Florida from the tri-state area they make you fill out paper work at the airport or as you enter the state. Where are you staying, how long are you staying etc. I was told the sheriffs do random door knocks to check that you are staying where you said you were staying. If you are found to be violating you can get a $1500 fine or a month in jail...hope that is over with by the end of August
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I can confirm FL is doing checkpoints. all cars on I-95 had to pull off at first weigh station. We were from PA they said. have a nice day if you were NY tagged you would have to pull off and fill out the information BoozeTan mentioned.

we had to drive to move my son out of his dorm room in Tampa. the only people passing me pre-dawn on I-95 were tagged NY and NJ. So obviously there are a lot of people heading down there that FL is concerned.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

madhatter wrote:
That is what is being done. Don't typically see as much trooper presence on access road as in the past month.