Killington is Woke

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Killington is Woke

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote:Okay, so you agree then that Twitter has the right to post fact checks of Trump tweets?
Because they're going to fact check everyone, right? Otherwise that would be prejudicial.

And who is going to do the fact checking? Just because the first 2 words of your company starts with Fact Checker doesn't make you a truth teller. You're still in editorial land. MH is correct on this.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Not sure why these questions matter. It is protected free speech whether they do it for the President only or every politician in the country.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote:
easyrider16 wrote:Okay, so you agree then that Twitter has the right to post fact checks of Trump tweets?
Because they're going to fact check everyone, right? Otherwise that would be prejudicial.

And who is going to do the fact checking? Just because the first 2 words of your company starts with Fact Checker doesn't make you a truth teller. You're still in editorial land. MH is correct on this.
They allow some of Trump's tweets that they would otherwise delete if they were from John Doe Twitter user. Do you think they should start deleting Trump tweets that violate their policy?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

easyrider16 wrote:Not sure why these questions matter. It is protected free speech whether they do it for the President only or every politician in the country.
yes it is protected free speech...it also makes them a publisher no matter who they do or don't do it for...it's opinion...not sure why you can't comprehend that?

maybe an even simpler example will help?

the "platform" is a blank slate.. the blank slate is not liable for anything posted on it...

anything posted on the "platform" aka "blank slate" is considered "content" and the act of placing it on that blank slate is "publishing"... who ever placed it on that platform is the publisher of said content and is responsible for that content( even if they own the platform )...

the platform is immune from any liability resulting from that content...the publisher of that content is not...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Sounds like we pretty much agree, hatter. If they post their own opinions, the CDA doesn't shield them. However, the first amendment does. End result, twitter can continue to fact check POTUS tweets.

So lets see if Trump tries to go after them for it. If he does, you'll have to admit he's trying to censor them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

They allow some of Trump's tweets that they would otherwise delete if they were from John Doe Twitter user. Do you think they should start deleting Trump tweets that violate their policy?
I don't know their policy.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

I don't know their policy.
I'll ask the question differently. Should Twitter enforce their policy consistently and without exception?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

easyrider16 wrote:Sounds like we pretty much agree, hatter. If they post their own opinions, the CDA doesn't shield them. However, the first amendment does. End result, twitter can continue to fact check POTUS tweets.you keep using "fact check" as if it's some kind of definitive be all end all...

as was said earlier just calling yourself a fact checker doesn't make you an arbiter of truth...it's a differing opinion except in some very clear instances...

So lets see if Trump tries to go after them for it. If he does, you'll have to admit he's trying to censor them.

yer on fvcking drugs...the first amendment doesn't shield you from libel or slander...same rules apply as to any other twitter poster...

additionally, by twitter tying their opinions to the administration of their platform (and approval of posts to that platform being based on those opinions) one could argue they in effect have turned their platform into programming...the CDA is pretty clear on "good faith"...

gotta be a pretty narrow set of users that twitter targets for fact checking...

not seeing your argument winning in a court...

now if some totally independent firm not associated with twitter in any way wanted to follow trump and fact check his every tweet that would be entirely different...

best case scenario for twitter as a platform is to allow virtually any and all postings except for those that are extremely disturbing, vile etc ...( and yes I know even that is arbitrary, but Kzone mostly manages) and truly be a platform...but they want to use that platform to be political activists...so they won't be taking my advice...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Aha - back to defamation, and my original point. So you admit the real goal here is to sue companies like twitter for posting commentary on Trump tweets that Trump doesn't like? I mean defamation suits require proof that the information provided is false, and I don't see where twitter made any false claims.

Pretty sure twitter does allow virtually every tweet, including all potus tweets. They just added some commentary to a few of Trump's because he was saying things that were not true. That is not restricting speech, it is adding speech.

buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

points to pass along;

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/06/23 ... #gsc.tab=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
41484724-7EF3-4CBF-BF16-364AF59E339E.jpeg
41484724-7EF3-4CBF-BF16-364AF59E339E.jpeg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

easyrider16 wrote:Aha - back to defamation, and my original point. So you admit the real goal here is to sue companies like twitter for posting commentary on Trump tweets that Trump doesn't like? I mean defamation suits require proof that the information provided is false, and I don't see where twitter made any false claims.

Pretty sure twitter does allow virtually every tweet, including all potus tweets. They just added some commentary to a few of Trump's because he was saying things that were not true. That is not restricting speech, it is adding speech.

I guess it just takes you forever to come to conclusions others garner in a matter of minutes...

YES that is EXACTLY the point...twitter is trying to hide behind the protections of the CDA to protect it self from being sued for content that it posts...

trump has long been on record as saying this...
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

madhatter wrote:BLM goals...

Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors admitted during a Friday night interview with CNN that "our goal is to get Trump out."
Cullors, who described BLM organizers in 2015 as "trained Marxists," compared Trump to Hitler after refusing to meet with him, and referred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) as the Gestapo, told CNN's Jake Tapper (via Breitbart's Josh Caplan):
PATRISSE CULLORS: Trump not only needs to not be in office in November but he should resign now. Trump needs to be out of office. He is not fit for office. And so what we are going to push for is a move to get Trump out. While we’re also going to continue to push and pressure vice president Joe Biden around his policies and relationship to policing and criminalization. That’s going to be important. But our goal is to get Trump out.
I said," Newsome told the host, "if this country doesn't give us what we want, then we will burn down this system and replace it. All right? And I could be speaking ... figuratively. I could be speaking literally. It's a matter of interpretation.

"Let's observe the history of the 1960s, when black people were rioting," he went on. "We had the highest growth in wealth, in property ownership. Think about the last few weeks since we started protesting. There have been eight cops fired across the country."

"I don't condone nor do I condemn rioting," Newsome added. "But I'm just telling you what I observed."
At the conclusion of the interview, Newsome told MacCallum, "I just want black liberation and black sovereignty, by any means necessary."
BLM says newsome out...
The Black Lives Matter Global Network distanced itself from an organizer of a Black Lives Matter group, claiming the chapter isn’t officially part of the network.

“Hawk Newsome has no relation to the Black Lives Matter Global Network,” the network’s managing director Kailee Scales told the Associated Press late Thursday.
There’s confusion over Newsome’s exact position. He has been the president of Black Lives Matter Greater New York but was said to no longer be in that position after his remarks were circulated.

The New York group’s website lists him as chairperson and one of its founders.
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

we must ensure that george kirby's name is never forgotten...
mach es sehr schnell

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

madhatter wrote:I guess it just takes you forever to come to conclusions others garner in a matter of minutes...

YES that is EXACTLY the point...twitter is trying to hide behind the protections of the CDA to protect it self from being sued for content that it posts...
I mean, that was basically my original point. Scroll up and you'll see what I posted:
He clearly wants to remove the protection so he can sue them and get them to stop publishing this speech. That's the point, here, and if you can't see that it's because you're letting your politics get in the way.
You took issue with the term "censorship" but that is clearly what this is. By the way, suing twitter for defamation likely wouldn't work, because not only is truth a defense, the plaintiff would have to prove "actual malice." Look it up, it's hard to do, and definitely wouldn't work on twitter's fact checks. This whole move by Trump is more like a shot across the bow of the social media players - he's saying shut up or I will come after you. If he was a private citizen saying that, it would be intimidation. Since he's the President of the United States saying it, it's censorship, and a total disrespect of the First Amendment.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Chatting at the boat launch last week with a fellow local when I said that "I really missed spring skiing." She dressed me up and down on how I could be so insensitive to think about skiing at this time when people of color are being marginalized in our society.

It is tough being a rational conservative in Vermont as I stick out like a sore thumb. My mind just doesn't work the same as some of my liberal friends. Much safer here in the K-Zone Political threads then out in wilds in The Greens.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.