Absolute proof of bias at Google

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Absolute proof of bias at Google

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Camp I’m at in Maine on a lake that has the best habitat in the state for the endangered Black Tern. There are a lot of birds that fly by and I think they are this bird. So, I searched Google for a black tern video to compare the flight. Nothing but page after page of black teen this and that. Not a thing about the actual search for black tern video, or even a written story.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: Absolute proof of bias at Google

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Perhaps you've miss-spelled something?

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... Black+Tern
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Three times searched for black tern “video”-nothing but black teen results. Almost all of them politically motivated and biased.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

But yet you still use Google.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

And yet when I Google "black tern" I get nothing butt bird results... Must be that Google learned YOUR browsing habits and offered what it thought was relevant results for YOU. Lol !!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:And yet when I Google "black tern" I get nothing butt bird results... Must be that Google learned YOUR browsing habits and offered what it thought was relevant results for YOU. Lol !!
tried it for sh!ts and giggles...

all I got were bird results too...

nonetheless google is most certainly biased...I sometimes search for things I know exist ( political) yet have to either change my query or drill thru a number of pages to find an article I have already read previously...when I get to the link it's usually highlighted to indicate I've visited it before...why is that not the FIRST article I see in my results...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Are you typing black tern with video after, not just black tern? If you read it, I wanted a “VIDEO” of their flight for comparisons. Just did it a 4th time, black teen political crap every time.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Are you typing black tern with video after, not just black tern? If you read it, I wanted a “VIDEO” of their flight for comparisons. Just did it a 4th time, black teen political crap every time.
that changed things...

but I would still search for black tern, then click "video" in the results tab...

https://www.google.com/search?q=black+t ... 60&bih=468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Google personalizes results based on your search habits.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

daytripper wrote:But yet you still use Google.
Yes, I do, not many other options. It can be a good search engine, until it’s politics, then it’s 100 % biased.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Google personalizes results based on your search habits.
Then why did it take me to black lives matter stories when I have never done any searches like that?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
Then why did it take me to black lives matter stories when I have never done any searches like that?
No idea. I'm sure the algorithm is pretty complex. Many think DuckDuckGo (https://duckduckgo.com/) maintains a strong 'search neutrality'. Give it a shot. I tried your search and got exactly what I asked for ... nothing related to BLM.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
adding the word video to the search term caused google to spellcheck and sub "teen" for "tern"... it had nothing to do with personalized searching nor is it absolute proof of bias...
mach es sehr schnell

biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

I was curious to see what happens as well. Looks like due to the amount of black teen video's google autocorrects to black teen. Right below it in red it said did you mean black tern when I click on that I get the bird video's.
doofus
Green Skidder

Post by doofus »

FAKE NEWS!!!!

Big Ed is right the Google algorithms predicted that "Black tern video" was likely a typo and displayed this
Showing results for black teen video
Search instead for black tern video"
They even highlight the word teen to point your attention to the assumption they made.

Google is biased- they aim to provide the most relevant search results. If they do that, more people will use their search engine and the more people who use the Search engine the more they get paid.

If you don't like their search results use another search engine. This Capitalism and Free Market at its best.
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
-Satchel Paige