Why Every Person In America Needs To Become A Prepper ...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
madhatter
Signature Poster

Why Every Person In America Needs To Become A Prepper ...

Post by madhatter »

we'll pretend this is a political post...cuz of course it soon will be anyway...as if who you vote for has any bearing on how much food you need ( or are able to get)

I shared my story about limits at BJ's and price chopper when I shopped on may 10 in the "panic" thread...

in june things were much better but still certain items were unavailable...there were no limits on anything that was available...

being a "prepper" doesn't mean eating freeze dried foods and MRE's...

I stock a rotating shelf life's worth of foods that I eat on a regular basis...I also keep a 6-12 mos supply of staples, spices, oils, condiments, vinegars etc...I keep a lot of cheese, pepperoni and other assorted shelf stable snacks... I buy beef chicken and pork in bulk and keep it in a modest sized freezer...what isn't already frozen and vacuum packed I freeze and vac pac myself....

we also grow a lot of our own produce which we can, freeze, dry or otherwise preserve...we still need to supplement that...

we shop every 4-6 weeks to "replenish"

we do shop weekly ( ish now that covid has mrs hatter home 24/7) weekly shopping includes, milk, H&H, fresh fish, eggs, fresh produce when we need something we don't have on hand etc...interestingly certain things like half & half and eggs have a very long shelf life...

most days my pantry is my grocery store...I shop there very morning for that day's food...

at the very least it saves us a lot of time, some money and we always have just about anything we could possibly want at our fingertips...

Why Every Person In America Needs To Become A Prepper During The Second Half Of 2020

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/why ... -half-2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: Why Every Person In America Needs To Become A Prepper ..

Post by ANGUS »

madhatter wrote:we'll pretend this is a political post...cuz of course it soon will be anyway...as if who you vote for has any bearing on how much food you need ( or are able to get)

I shared my story about limits at BJ's and price chopper when I shopped on may 10 in the "panic" thread...

in june things were much better but still certain items were unavailable...there were no limits on anything that was available...

being a "prepper" doesn't mean eating freeze dried foods and MRE's...

I stock a rotating shelf life's worth of foods that I eat on a regular basis...I also keep a 6-12 mos supply of staples, spices, oils, condiments, vinegars etc...I keep a lot of cheese, pepperoni and other assorted shelf stable snacks... I buy beef chicken and pork in bulk and keep it in a modest sized freezer...what isn't already frozen and vacuum packed I freeze and vac pac myself....

we also grow a lot of our own produce which we can, freeze, dry or otherwise preserve...we still need to supplement that...

we shop every 4-6 weeks to "replenish"

we do shop weekly ( ish now that covid has mrs hatter home 24/7) weekly shopping includes, milk, H&H, fresh fish, eggs, fresh produce when we need something we don't have on hand etc...interestingly certain things like half & half and eggs have a very long shelf life...

most days my pantry is my grocery store...I shop there very morning for that day's food...

at the very least it saves us a lot of time, some money and we always have just about anything we could possibly want at our fingertips...

Why Every Person In America Needs To Become A Prepper During The Second Half Of 2020

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/why ... -half-2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well said madhatter. If you grew up in the country. Chances are you a prepper by default. I rotate stock and keep a spreadsheet of current inventory. I save the WISE and MOUNTAIN HOUSE for backpacking and long term storage. MREs don't last as long. Fuel is another item most can't store in large quantities. A generator won't last long on 20 gallons of fuel. A years wood fuel supply is light if its your primary heat and hot water..People call me crazy . I'm OK with that. Now I have to go feed my animals and talk to my garden.
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Why Every Person In America Needs To Become A Prepper ..

Post by Bubba »

I think it's something that happens naturally whether you grow up in the country or move from the suburbs or city to the country. Living in more densely populated areas means you have supermarkets and other needs close by where you live. Once you move to a more rural area, you find that those conveniences no longer exist. The grocery store that was 5 minutes away is now 20 - 30 minutes, sometimes more, away from home. You begin to make shopping lists, keep more staples on hand, have more of everything on hand that you might need. When you go to the store, you sometimes buy more than you think you'll need in the near term just because you know you'll need it at some point and it won't go to waste. Over time, you simply develop an inventory of "stuff".
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe