Biden Candidacy 2020

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Biden Candidacy 2020

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote:He should have just admitted that he was wrong to oppose busing. That would be an easy thing to do, wouldn't it? What's the downside? People love it when powerful people admit their mistakes.

Again, I'm not crazy about Biden, nor did I really want Harris. But they are much better than the alternatives we have to choose from.
Yup. Get Trump out. Revisit the GOP in 2024, but not looking good as of now.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
easyrider16 wrote:He should have just admitted that he was wrong to oppose busing. That would be an easy thing to do, wouldn't it? What's the downside? People love it when powerful people admit their mistakes.

Again, I'm not crazy about Biden, nor did I really want Harris. But they are much better than the alternatives we have to choose from.
Weather or not you are crazy about Biden, he was cut from the mold and era where working across party lines didn't make you a traitor within your own party.

Maybe a Biden presidency / narrow R majority in the senate / narrow D majority in the house would force these people to actually try to work together and get something done without the toxic partisanship.
Don't Killington Pico
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

boston_e wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

Weather or not you are crazy about Biden, he was cut from the mold and era where working across party lines didn't make you a traitor within your own party.

Maybe a Biden presidency / narrow R majority in the senate / narrow D majority in the house would force these people to actually try to work together and get something done without the toxic partisanship.
The way it looks right now is the R majority maybe be exceptionally narrow. I suppose there's even a scenario where they lose the Senate ... I don't prefer this, but would send a clear message.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
daytripper wrote:Didn't she straight up call him a racist a few months ago? I guess she is ok with having a racist president now.
No.
HARRIS: Growing up, my sister and I had to deal with the neighbor who told us her parents couldn’t play with us because she — because we were black. And I will say also that — that, in this campaign, we have also heard — and I’m going to now direct this at Vice President Biden, I do not believe you are a racist, and I agree with you when you commit yourself to the importance of finding common ground.

But I also believe, and it’s personal — and I was actually very — it was hurtful to hear you talk about the reputations of two United States senators who built their reputations and career on the segregation of race in this country. And it was not only that, but you also worked with them to oppose busing.

And, you know, there was a little girl in California who was part of the second class to integrate her public schools, and she was bused to school every day. And that little girl was me.

So I will tell you that, on this subject, it cannot be an intellectual debate among Democrats. We have to take it seriously. We have to act swiftly. As attorney general of California, I was very proud to put in place a requirement that all my special agents would wear body cameras and keep those cameras on.

RACHEL MADDOW (Moderator): Senator Harris, thank you. Vice President Biden, you have been invoked. We’re going to give you a chance to respond.

BIDEN: It’s a mischaracterization of my position across the board. I did not praise racists. That is not true, number one. Number two, if we want to have this campaign litigated on who supports civil rights and whether I did or not, I’m happy to do that.

I was a public defender. I didn’t become a prosecutor. I came out and I left a good law firm to become a public defender, when, in fact — when, in fact, my city was in flames because of the assassination of Dr. King, number one.

Number two, as the U.S. — excuse me, as the vice president of the United States, I worked with a man who, in fact, we worked very hard to see to it we dealt with these issues in a major, major way.

The fact is that, in terms of busing, the busing, I never — you would have been able to go to school the same exact way because it was a local decision made by your city council. That’s fine. That’s one of the things I argued for, that we should not be — we should be breaking down these lines.

But so the bottom line here is, look, everything I have done in my career, I ran because of civil rights, I continue to think we have to make fundamental changes in civil rights, and those civil rights, by the way, include not just only African-Americans, but the L.G.B.T. community.

HARRIS: But, Vice President Biden, do you agree today — do you agree today that you were wrong to oppose busing in America then? Do you agree?

BIDEN: I did not oppose busing in America. What I opposed is busing ordered by the Department of Education. That’s what I opposed. I did not oppose ——

HARRIS: Well, there was a failure of states to integrate public schools in America. I was part of the second class to integrate Berkeley, California, public schools almost two decades after Brown v. Board of Education.

BIDEN: Because your city council made that decision. It was a local decision.

HARRIS: So that’s where the federal government must step in.

BIDEN: The federal government ——

HARRIS: That’s why we have the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. That’s why we need to pass the Equality Act. That’s why we need to pass the E.R.A., because there are moments in history where states fail to preserve the civil rights of all people.

BIDEN: I’ve supported the E.R.A. from the very beginning when I ran for ——

CHUCK TODD (Moderator): Vice President Biden, 30 seconds, because I want to bring other people into this.

BIDEN: I supported the E.R.A. from the very beginning. I’m the guy that extended the Voting Rights Act for 25 years. We got to the place where we got 98 out of 98 votes in the United States Senate doing it. I’ve also argued very strongly that we, in fact, deal with the notion of denying people access to the ballot box. I agree that everybody, once they, in fact — anyway, my time is up. I’m sorry.
When somebody says I'm not calling you a racist but...... They are calling you a racist.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

daytripper wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
daytripper wrote:Didn't she straight up call him a racist a few months ago? I guess she is ok with having a racist president now.
No.
HARRIS: Growing up, my sister and I had to deal with the neighbor who told us her parents couldn’t play with us because she — because we were black. And I will say also that — that, in this campaign, we have also heard — and I’m going to now direct this at Vice President Biden, I do not believe you are a racist, and I agree with you when you commit yourself to the importance of finding common ground.
When somebody says I'm not calling you a racist but...... They are calling you a racist.
Seems pretty clear what she said to me.......

Or are you just trolling?
Don't Killington Pico
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Republican attack lines so far, as determined by memes on Facebook and commentary by Fox News opinion personalities:

Biden is old and mentally slipping. Oops...that sets the bar really low for the debates.
Biden is old and mentally slipping but a great debater.

Biden is beholden to the radical far left wing of the Democratic Party. Oops...most people know Joe as a centrist who united the majority of his party against the far left wing led by Bernie.
Biden is a racist who worked with racist southern Senators.

Biden is a racist. Oops...he picked Kamala Harris for VP.
Kamala Harris represents the far left wing of the Democratic Party.

Kamala Harris represents the far left wing of the Democratic Party. Oops...Kamala Harris was California AG and viewed as suspect by the far left for her actions in that roll.
Awww...what the hell...let's just call them Sleepy Joe and Phony Kamala.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Bubba wrote:
Biden is old and mentally slipping. Oops...that sets the bar really low for the debates.
What is hilarious, is that the Fox News clip of Biden riding his bike and the "I picked you" quip pretty much debunks the entire Biden is old and slipping line (in a 20 second long video nonetheless).

Instead he looked pretty nimble (for his age of course) and witty.
Don't Killington Pico
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

Off topic, but would love to see Baker emerge as more of a leader in the Republican party... unfortunately he is probably too much of the "Rockefeller Republican" mold to appeal to the southern states and evangelicals.
Don't Killington Pico
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

boston_e wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

Off topic, but would love to see Baker emerge as more of a leader in the Republican party... unfortunately he is probably too much of the "Rockefeller Republican" mold to appeal to the southern states and evangelicals.
It will be a long time if ever before another Northeastern Republican leads the party.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
boston_e wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

It will be a long time if ever before another Northeastern Republican leads the party.
+1. Looks for the Tom Cotton / Tucker Carlson types to take over the party for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, it might take losing 2024 / 2028 to get the GOP back to its roots. Of course a Biden/Harris train wreck could prove otherwise.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I would 100% vote for Baker for President. He's one of the best political leaders I've seen in a long time. He always seems to be looking to do the right thing regardless of the party/media/whatever. But I agree, he'd have a tough road getting the Republican nomination.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

boston_e wrote:
daytripper wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
No.
Seems pretty clear what she said to me.......

Or are you just trolling?
Did you watch that debate? She called him a racist without saying the words. I don't think he is a racist, just think it's funny how fast she flip flops, and don't get me wrong, Trump does that all the time but the Dems think they are so much better people but do the same sh*t.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

easyrider16 wrote:I would 100% vote for Baker for President. He's one of the best political leaders I've seen in a long time. He always seems to be looking to do the right thing regardless of the party/media/whatever. But I agree, he'd have a tough road getting the Republican nomination.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
+1
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Bubba wrote:Republican attack lines so far, as determined by memes on Facebook and commentary by Fox News opinion personalities:

Biden is beholden to the radical far left wing of the Democratic Party. Oops...most people know Joe as a centrist who united the majority of his party against the far left wing led by Bernie.

Kamala Harris represents the far left wing of the Democratic Party. Oops...Kamala Harris was California AG and viewed as suspect by the far left for her actions in that roll.
Trump and his minions develop a coherent strategy; throw it all against the wall and see what sticks.

Radical or moderate? Trump paints Democratic ticket as both
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB17SBv0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
Bubba wrote:Republican attack lines so far, as determined by memes on Facebook and commentary by Fox News opinion personalities:

Trump and his minions develop a coherent strategy; throw it all against the wall and see what sticks.

Radical or moderate? Trump paints Democratic ticket as both
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB17SBv0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My money is on Trump caving to his base and alienating moderates. $02 moderates voted for Trump in 2016 because Hillary may have been the most universally disliked candidate in decades, not because they liked Trump. Good luck now that Trump is more universally disliked than Hillary!