Which diet has worked best for you?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Which diet has worked best for you?

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Since it is pretty dead in here I decided this subject matter is appropriate for the current season.

For me it is Weight Watchers - I know what foods to avoid and those that are good for me. I tried South Beach but found that since I was working that one did not work as well for me because you have to prepare a lot of the foods. Never went on the Atkins diet because I think it is too one-sided. My friend went on it and she feels it really worked for her.
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

I helped my Mom out with Weight Watchers online a couple of years back and it worked for her. She was pleasantly surprised at the results. Sometimes she didn't reach all her daily points and actually felt she was eating too much. All the folks that I've know who have been on Weight Watchers have not had negative results.
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

I have been on a free fat diet for years, which probably explains why I have slowly been gaining weight for ... well, years.
But, I am enjoying my time here 8)
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

I am on the most radical diet anyone has ever heard of. It's called the "eat less and exercise more" diet. Instead of 5 slices of pizza, I'll have one! Instead of driving my car to work, I'll ride my bike!

We have been conditioned by Madison Avenue to eat larger portions than we should be eating. People over 40 can remember a time when McDonald's only sold hamburgers - there were no quarter-pounders, no big and tastys, no big macs. What passes as a small coke (16 oz) today was the large 30 years ago. The small of three decades ago (12 oz) is now the kid's size. They figured out that they can serve up larger portions and get people to pay a little more for them, increasing their profits. As a result, people go and think nothing of a 1000-1500 calorie lunch at a fast food joint, and this mentality has carried over into home-cooked meals as well as non-fast-food restaurants. I love America.

Meanwhile, childhood obesity is at an all-time high and adult obesity is about to overtake smoking as the leading preventable cause of death in this county. They say that 20 years from now, 1 in 3 kids born today will develop adult-onset diabetes, which if developed before 17 can decrease your lifespan by somewhere around 15-25 years.

The Atkins diet works, but if you're going to do something so unhealthy just to lose weight, you'll have more fun with heroin. Heroin is probably safer anyway. And your breath won't stink as bad. I think people who eat a half-pound of bacon in order to lose weight and still think they're healthy should have their head examined.

On a related note, I have good news. Had my cholesterol checked for the first time in my life last week, and the results came in yesterday: 135. I know, I can't believe it either.
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

Pizza wrote.

"I am on the most radical diet anyone has ever heard of. It's called the "eat less and exercise more" diet."

BINGO!
good job man!

(does this make me a thread whore)?
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

I lost 110 lbs on a modifed version of Atkins. And no pizza, I didn't eat any Bacon or huge helpings of meat. Basically I avoided sugard and starches which meant no rice, bread or pasta. I ate a lot of salad and tried to keep fats down. And, I have kept the weight off for three years now and counting.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

I'm on the dank and IN n OUT burger Diet- it kicks ass - i look grEAT! 8) :lol:
backintoit
Green Skidder

Post by backintoit »

The Atkins diet works, but if you're going to do something so unhealthy just to lose weight, you'll have more fun with heroin. Heroin is probably safer anyway. And your breath won't stink as bad. I think people who eat a half-pound of bacon in order to lose weight and still think they're healthy should have their head examined.
Wow! I certainly hope you have the professional credentials to back up such a claim.

I went on Atkins and 5 years ago and lost 30 pounds. My cholesterol dropped and blood preasure dropped and I never felt better. Atkins isn't NO carb it's LOW carb. Anyone who says they just eat a pound of meat isn't doing it correctly or is in their first 2 weeks on the diet. You need to eat the right combination and amount of carbs for your own body and everyone's body is different.

I've recently went off atkins due primairly to peer pressure and the weight came right back. And before you attack me, I don't eat 1500 cal lunches.

You'll notice that the FDA has recently changed the food pyramid because they were so wrong.
Last edited by backintoit on Jun 2nd, '05, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

The Chicago Marathon
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

backintoit wrote:You'll notice that the FDA has recently changed the food pyramid because they were so wrong.
I wouldn't trust that new food pyramid if I were you. Every single food company in America lobbied like crazy jockying for the best position in that pyramid. The FDA had numerous recomendations that it caved on due to pressure from the lobbyists. And yes, the folks at Atkins lobbied particularly hard.

Incidently, I am not going to argue about Atkins. I've seen the cookbooks. Most of the recipes are very high in saturated fat. If there's anything good about it, it gets people to eat less processed sugar, which should be avoided in all diets. But that's hardly unique to Atkins.
CAPBOY wrote:The Chicago Marathon
There ya go.. That's awesome. What was your time? What kind of training program did you go on?
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

I've been trying to gain weight my whole adult life. Its not always fun being on the other side of the fence either. I've tried everything from shakes to ensures. I eat like a horse and still i cant get up over 140.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

2knees wrote:I've been trying to gain weight my whole adult life. Its not always fun being on the other side of the fence either. I've tried everything from shakes to ensures. I eat like a horse and still i cant get up over 140.
Wish I had your problem instead of always trying to stay away from starches, fats and sweets.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

pizzamoose wrote:
There ya go.. That's awesome. What was your time? What kind of training program did you go on?
I have based my training schedule on Bob Glover's. I have been consistently a +/- 4 hour finisher. Had I applied what I learned after the last marathon I ran, I would probably be a 3.5 hr runner. What I learned was to eat salt during the race. Gatorade does not cut it at those distances for electrolite replacement.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

2knees wrote:I've been trying to gain weight my whole adult life. Its not always fun being on the other side of the fence either. I've tried everything from shakes to ensures. I eat like a horse and still i cant get up over 140.
I am with you on this. I am using the See Food Diet, see it and eat it. I used to eat at least 5 full meals a day, and at dinner or lunch, enough for 3 people. I would lose weight.

I did get over 140 once when I quit smoking. Felt like sh*t and tired all the time. Once I got off the tootsie Pops, I went back down under 130. I did remain at least 5 lbs heavier once I quit smoking.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

colonoscopy. lost about 5 lbs. :)
spoiled South American skiin' whore