Which diet has worked best for you?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Kick boxing is the best! I have unfortunately bagged out on my classes the last few weeks to ride my bike and walk in the nice weather. But I can really see the difference, in a bad way, despite engaging in other fitness activities.

Time to get back into the KB routine next week...sunny afternoons be damned.

Sprite
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:I had great success since January on a 40/30/30 ratio of protein/carbs/fat with a 10x - 12x my weight range in calories. Before going off the "diet" I could see a hint of ab definition.

As for exercise -- I was doing morning HIIT cardio 1-3x a week and lifting about 4x per week.
30% seems a tad high for fat intake, though a little extra fat does look good on women......
Now that's a cool thing to say!

I like Weight Watchers...done it off and on since the days when they recommended using mustard with tuna.
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

snowsprite wrote:Kick boxing is the best! I have unfortunately bagged out on my classes the last few weeks to ride my bike and walk in the nice weather. But I can really see the difference, in a bad way, despite engaging in other fitness activities.

Time to get back into the KB routine next week...sunny afternoons be damned.

Sprite
Sprite:"You have insulted my family...Now we must fight"!

Bling man fu:"You would not act this way if my older brother was here"

Sprite:"I don't know Kung Fu but I do know crazy and I will use it."

Bling man fu: "OH S#it gotta go grasshopper, I aint sticking around 2 get beat twice in one week"

have a good weekend all gotta go 2 class
pAUL eLLIOTT

lines from a KB movie....
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Bling Skier wrote:
Sprite:"I don't know Kung Fu but I do know crazy and I will use it."
lol...you got that right! Have a good weekend PE
8)
Sprite
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:I had great success since January on a 40/30/30 ratio of protein/carbs/fat with a 10x - 12x my weight range in calories. Before going off the "diet" I could see a hint of ab definition.

As for exercise -- I was doing morning HIIT cardio 1-3x a week and lifting about 4x per week.
30% seems a tad high for fat intake, though a little extra fat does look good on women......
Actually enough of the right fats can help fat loss....

"Supplementing with these EFA's may even decrease the catabolism sometimes associated with overtraining or poor diet. They may even increase growth hormone secretion, improve the action of insulin, and enhance oxygen use and energy transformation required for optimal performance."
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
Gr8ful4snow
Black Carver

Post by Gr8ful4snow »

Diets Suck!Name 1 diet that doesn't have a fallback.Low carb diets are BS
yet we have a bunch of morons buying low carb everything.When I see low carb bread for $5 dollars a loaf.Thats where I draw the line.Eat right and exercise.We are Kzoners we are active people lets act like it.
No sympathy for the devil;keep that in mind,buy the ticket take the ride.
Hunter S. Thompson
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Gr8ful4snow wrote:Diets Suck!Name 1 diet that doesn't have a fallback.Low carb diets are BS
yet we have a bunch of morons buying low carb everything.When I see low carb bread for $5 dollars a loaf.Thats where I draw the line.Eat right and exercise.We are Kzoners we are active people lets act like it.
:roll:

I agree, the low carb movement was so BS....ugh!

I heard on the radio that there is so much "extra" of the low carb food cuz people aren't buying it anymore, so they donated 7 tractor trailers full of low carb products to the poor in the Appalacians....

My eating plan is only "lowish carb" cuz of all the fiber I get.....
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

"Supplementing with these EFA's may even decrease the catabolism sometimes associated with overtraining or poor diet. They may even increase growth hormone secretion, improve the action of insulin, and enhance oxygen use and energy transformation required for optimal performance."
and 30% fat isn't really high....9 calories per gram of fat to 4 protein and carbs.

35 grams protein: chicken, steak, fish, whatever
45 grams carbs: veggies, some organic raw honey for flavor, and an apple for dessert.
14 grams fat: a salad with a tablespoon olive oil mixed with some balsamic vinegar.

or, skip the salad and take 10 fish oil pills..lol...

you're right there....I've been in the zone for over five years and could give you hundred of meals and snacks.

Flax oil is overrated, stick to cold water fish oil and olive oil.

I ain't no Jenscat...but I'm learning.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:Flax oil is overrated, stick to cold water fish oil and olive oil.
Really? Why?
I put flax oil in my son's waffles.. I figure he gets his Omega3's that way.
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

and 30% fat isn't really high....9 calories per gram of fat to 4 protein and carbs.

35 grams protein: chicken, steak, fish, whatever
45 grams carbs: veggies, some organic raw honey for flavor, and an apple for dessert.
14 grams fat: a salad with a tablespoon olive oil mixed with some balsamic vinegar.

or, skip the salad and take 10 fish oil pills..lol...

you're right there....I've been in the zone for over five years and could give you hundred of meals and snacks.

Flax oil is overrated, stick to cold water fish oil and olive oil.

I ain't no Jenscat...but I'm learning.
Well I sure as heck don't know everything!! :lol: I'm still learning myself......

And I'm curious on the flax oil being overrated thing too....wazzup wit that??

Other good fats include: avocados, walnuts, almonds, walnut oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, olive oil, flax meal, flax oil, salmon, etc. I like to have a variety of fats in my eating plan -- keeps it from being boring.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

pizzamoose wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:Flax oil is overrated, stick to cold water fish oil and olive oil.
Really? Why?
I put flax oil in my son's waffles.. I figure he gets his Omega3's that way.
The best source of omega 3 is cold water fish. Pharmaceutical grade fish oil in pills and liquid is the least economical and obviously fish, but not fish oil, is also a rich source of protein. I can’t afford to eat wild salmon 4 times a week anymore; the price has skyrocketed since the bad press about farm raised salmon. My dog can’t have salmon due to its high phosphorous content, so we both supplement with fish oil….lots of it. I love all the claims from pet food companies who are now throwing flax into dog food and supplements promising a “healthy and shiny” coat. sh*t, once it’s heated and processed (has to be when added to kibble and other doggie supplements) it actually becomes PRO OXIDATIVE! F*ckers. But I digress. Flaxseed oil is also rich source of omega 3 fatty acids and is certainly worthy of much of all the favorable attention it receives. But…the chemical structure of flax renders it exceptionally susceptible to oxidation and since it’s unsaturated, it’s awfully hard to taste or smell rancid flaxseed oil. Light, heat and air all ruin flaxseed oil pretty rapidly, so if you’re gonna use it, keep it refrigerated, buy smaller containers and never cook with it. Do youfknow if your flaxseed oil is processed or expeller pressed at low temperatures? Not many of us do, and if it’s not, it’s probably oxidized some before you even open it. Another shortcoming of flaxseed oil(besides price) is that it contains alpha linolenic acid (ALA) which must be converted to EPA/DHA in the body. This conversion process becomes less and less efficient with advancing age (so I’m sure your son is fine) due to a natural decrease in the enzyme that makes EPA/DHA from ALA. In addition, the vast majority of studies showing health benefits of omega 3 fat used EPA and DHA, not ALA. Remember, those heart healthy , disease free, alcoholics, the Eskimos, consume fish not flaxseed oil. Flaxseed gets the most attention because it’s highest in ALA (kind of) and hence can convert into more EPA/DHA in the body than other dietary sources such as walnuts, pumpkin seeds, soybeans, canola oil and to a much lesser extent green leafy vegetables. The reason I said “kind of”is due to the recent emergence of hemp oil as a favorite in some dietary circles. Omega 3, 6 and GLA in hemp oil are present in a biochemically optimal ratio (that’s not saying it’s higher in omega 3 than flax, it isn’t) and the oil has a better taste than flax (nutty like pumpkin seed oil). But it’s hemp and that scares some people away from it.

Dr Sears (aurthor of the Zone) also cautions of an adverse impact of ALA on eicosanoid sysnthisis by inhibiting the delta 6 desatuturase enzyme. Delta 6 activates dietary fatty acids into GLA. (too long and boring to get into, but GLA is healthy and the highest concentrations are in breast milk). Anyway, the health benefits of consuming a substantial amount of omega 3’s far outweigh the negatives of flaxseed oil, so if you hate fish and/or don’t want to pop pills, stick to your flaxseed oil….just be sure to heed the precautions above. You could also supplement GLA along with your flax, evening primrose and borage oils are good sources as is human breast milk. Or you could just use hemp oil…yay!

Lastly, more and more research is showing the health benefits of supra-physiological doses of fish oil and in particular, EPA/DHA. In fact, the HIGHER the dose, the more benefits. Everything from documented heart health (lowered arrhythmias, lower blood pressure, more efficient conduction) to favorable lipid profiles to better skin to reduced depression and joint problems has all been favorably affected by increased doses of EPA/DHA through fish oil. Try that with flax and you’ll wind up with an imbalance of omega 6 which have numerous negative effects on the human body. So what’s the proper dose for flax? How much are you converting to EPA/DHA? Was it really pressed at cold temperatures? Is it rancid the moment I open it, it doesn’t smell bad? Are all the lignans on the bottom, they boast the most benefit? Are the lignans even in my flax oil? Who cares if you’re using fish oil!!

As for olive oil, it’s just plain healthy. It’s loaded with mono-saturated fat, but is not a source of omega 3’s. (Unlike canola oil which contains more EFA’s and a modest amount of omega 3). It’s also more resilient than other oils to unhealthy free-radical formation caused by heat-induced oxidation (cooking). It also boasts an unsurpassed health record. The mono-saturated fat in olive oil has been shown to lower both LDL/HDL cholesterol ratio and triglyceride levels. It also carries an anti-oxidative effect due to the high levels of polyphenols (also found in red wine) in virgin olive oil. Virgin olive oil is the only widely available, mass marketed, unprocessed oil. Because virgin olive oil is unprocessed, all of its major and minor components are intact. All factors considered, olive oil is the best oil out there for everything other than getting your omega 3’s and an outstanding food overall. This obviously applies to virgin only.

I use canola oil for my Good Seasons dressing because olive oil doesn’t refrigerate well. Other than that it’s olive oil for everything, I also incorporate almonds, walnuts and natural peanut butter. I eat salmon and both my dog and I use Health from the Sun PFO (Pure Fish Oil), Life Extension Super EPA/DHA with sesame lignans, Fipro specially milled flax (ground flax has the highest lignans) and Celadrin which is a matrix of fatty acid carbons which work incredibly well together as an anti-inflammatory for joint problems. The brand I use has 350 mg celadrin, 160 mg soy oil and 22 mg salmon oil per capsule.

Sorry in advance Pedro.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

Ooops. I've been substituting flax oil for most of the butter in Joey's waffles before butting them in the iron. I guess I should stop. What about flax meal? Would that turn bad if I cook with it? Before I used flax oil, I used to put a quarter-cup of flaxmeal into the batter - but stopped because I didn't like the gritty taste.

We do give him half a teaspoon of cod liver oil every night - and believe it or not, he seems to like it.

My problem with fish oil pills is 30 minutes after taking them, I burp and smell fish. That kind of grosses me out, because when I eat real fish, that doesn't happen.

Finally, what is your canola oil recipe for dressing?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Hal U. Dewin wrote: I use canola oil for my Good Seasons dressing because olive oil doesn’t refrigerate well.
Hal use the olive oil with Good Seasons and leave it out of the refrigerator. It does not go bad if you use it within a few days. Olive oil is so much more tasty in a salad dressing than canola oil.
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
nancie2k wrote:another one is,"eat colorful foods"
they have the most antioxidants and are the best for you.your brain needs carbos, do not limit them too much.
Dark Belgian chocolate is the most gorgeous shade of brown....
I love dark chocolate and I am told it is not too bad to have it when on a diet as long as you don't overindulge. I especially like these truffles that I get at BJs - they are so wickedly good that I cannot stop at one. Bubba knows what I am talking about.
MMMM- Truffles.... I know what your talking about too! After trying the ones you brought, I called my mom and asked her to pick them up at BJ's down in NJ and they were waiting for me last week when I had my visit with her... Yummy! Oh, I gained 5 pounds when I was on vac last week! Back to running in the am on the Access Road/Roaring Brook/Ravine Loop every morning before 6am!
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

pizzamoose wrote:Ooops. I've been substituting flax oil for most of the butter in Joey's waffles before butting them in the iron. I guess I should stop. What about flax meal? Would that turn bad if I cook with it? Before I used flax oil, I used to put a quarter-cup of flaxmeal into the batter - but stopped because I didn't like the gritty taste.

We do give him half a teaspoon of cod liver oil every night - and believe it or not, he seems to like it.

My problem with fish oil pills is 30 minutes after taking them, I burp and smell fish. That kind of grosses me out, because when I eat real fish, that doesn't happen.

Finally, what is your canola oil recipe for dressing?
I cook with flax meal with no problems.... And I don't like the "reaction" with the fish oil pills the same as you.....

I like a variety of oils....

Here's a good dressing: 1 serving: 1 tblsp Olive Oil (or almond/walnut/safflower/canola, etc) + pepper + spicy Mrs Dash (or any flavor) + 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar + 1-2 tsp brown mustard + small amount (1 tsp) of red onion/scallion, if desired. Whisk together & serve. Use more oil/vinegar if need be.