Which diet has worked best for you?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

jenscats5 wrote:I cook with flax meal with no problems....
But is it doing us any good?
If flax oil becomes worthless when cooked, what about flaxmeal?
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote: I use canola oil for my Good Seasons dressing because olive oil doesn’t refrigerate well.
Hal use the olive oil with Good Seasons and leave it out of the refrigerator. It does not go bad if you use it within a few days. Olive oil is so much more tasty in a salad dressing than canola oil.
Agreed, but I don't eat that much salad....it would sit there for more than a week. I use olive oil/flavored olive oil on everything else, including veggies.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:Ooops. I've been substituting flax oil for most of the butter in Joey's waffles before butting them in the iron. I guess I should stop. What about flax meal? Would that turn bad if I cook with it? Before I used flax oil, I used to put a quarter-cup of flaxmeal into the batter - but stopped because I didn't like the gritty taste.

We do give him half a teaspoon of cod liver oil every night - and believe it or not, he seems to like it.

My problem with fish oil pills is 30 minutes after taking them, I burp and smell fish. That kind of grosses me out, because when I eat real fish, that doesn't happen.

Finally, what is your canola oil recipe for dressing?
I cook with flax meal with no problems.... And I don't like the "reaction" with the fish oil pills the same as you.....

I like a variety of oils....

Here's a good dressing: 1 serving: 1 tblsp Olive Oil (or almond/walnut/safflower/canola, etc) + pepper + spicy Mrs Dash (or any flavor) + 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar + 1-2 tsp brown mustard + small amount (1 tsp) of red onion/scallion, if desired. Whisk together & serve. Use more oil/vinegar if need be.
flax meal is ok to cook with, but you really ought to check out what else is in it. Sometimes there are fillers in "meal". They use flax meal for livestock...not saying that you're livestock or anything.

The healthiest way to use flax is to ground your own as you need it. You could never digest the seeds, so you have to mill it. Milled flaxseed can be used for cooking without any problems (although anything cooked at high heat for a period a time will gradually break down into some different composition...especially proteins). Reason being, ground flaxseed tablespoon for tablespoon has much less oil in it to oxidize.

Remember though, you need 4x as much ground flaxseed to get almost as much oil as one tablespon of flax oil....you get some fiber, protein and lignans with the milled flaxseed....it's a healthier way to go, but you best be eating a good deal of it if you're relying on it for omega 3.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:Ooops. I've been substituting flax oil for most of the butter in Joey's waffles before butting them in the iron. I guess I should stop. What about flax meal? Would that turn bad if I cook with it? Before I used flax oil, I used to put a quarter-cup of flaxmeal into the batter - but stopped because I didn't like the gritty taste.

We do give him half a teaspoon of cod liver oil every night - and believe it or not, he seems to like it.

My problem with fish oil pills is 30 minutes after taking them, I burp and smell fish. That kind of grosses me out, because when I eat real fish, that doesn't happen.

Finally, what is your canola oil recipe for dressing?
I cook with flax meal with no problems.... And I don't like the "reaction" with the fish oil pills the same as you.....

I like a variety of oils....

Here's a good dressing: 1 serving: 1 tblsp Olive Oil (or almond/walnut/safflower/canola, etc) + pepper + spicy Mrs Dash (or any flavor) + 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar + 1-2 tsp brown mustard + small amount (1 tsp) of red onion/scallion, if desired. Whisk together & serve. Use more oil/vinegar if need be.
if you take your fish oil with food, you shouldn't burp it back up...I assume you're doing that if you're on a 40-30-30 diet. Or refrigerate it, almost everyone I sell fish oil to says that they stop burping it up if they refrigerate it. Or use the flavored oil...usually lemon lime or orange. I mix it right into my bowl of met-rx and fruit and you can barely taste it...to only need one or two teaspoons to get a significant amount of omega 3.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote: I use canola oil for my Good Seasons dressing because olive oil doesn’t refrigerate well.
Hal use the olive oil with Good Seasons and leave it out of the refrigerator. It does not go bad if you use it within a few days. Olive oil is so much more tasty in a salad dressing than canola oil.
Agreed, but I don't eat that much salad....it would sit there for more than a week. I use olive oil/flavored olive oil on everything else, including veggies.
Even if stays more than one week it should not go bad. After all you don't store olive oil in the refrigerator and vinegar is stored at room temperature as well. I usually mix the olive oil with balsamic vinegar and a little water and the Seasons packet. I do eat a lot of salad so maybe I use it up faster than you do.
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

RE: salad

To keep your lettuce fresh for a lot longer....rinse it off & let dry in a colander for a few hours then roll up in paper towels (the lettuce will be slightly damp) & place in a Ziploc bag. It'll stay fresh for about 2 weeks, sometimes longer....
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

pizzamoose wrote:
Well, I don't eat baked goods so I can't testify to that....

But I've mixed it into pancake mix & oatmeal.......I think the flax meal will withstand heating up to a certain point...
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:RE: salad

To keep your lettuce fresh for a lot longer....rinse it off & let dry in a colander for a few hours then roll up in paper towels (the lettuce will be slightly damp) & place in a Ziploc bag. It'll stay fresh for about 2 weeks, sometimes longer....

who's talking about lettuce?

what is this, the food network?
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:

But I've mixed it into pancake mix & oatmeal.......I think the flax meal will withstand heating up to a certain point...

who said anything about baked goods?

he said "cook", I assume you cook your pancakes....and your oatmeal...although if you're smart you add any protein and/or oil after the oatmeal cools....
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:

he said "cook", I assume you cook your pancakes....and your oatmeal...although if you're smart you add any protein and/or oil after the oatmeal cools....
I was referring to the difference between mixing flax meal into a wet mix that required a longer exposure to heat, such as if baking muffins, as opposed to something mixed into an already cooked item, such as oatmeal, which would give it less exposure to heating time....
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:

You & Ty both mentioned salads and how long they keep fresh, etc.... I was just offering a tip allowing the lettuce to stay fresh for a longer period of time......
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:

I was referring to the difference between mixing flax meal into a wet mix that required a longer exposure to heat, such as if baking muffins, as opposed to something mixed into an already cooked item, such as oatmeal, which would give it less exposure to heating time....
so do you eat your pancake batter raw? or do you add the flax after they're cooked? just wondering, not breaking balls....I used to eat this met-rx pancake batter raw all the time, it was much better raw than cooked.....except when you put choc chips in them...mmmmm...
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:

You & Ty both mentioned salads and how long they keep fresh, etc.... I was just offering a tip allowing the lettuce to stay fresh for a longer period of time......
ohhh...we were talking about salad dressing and olive oil...and how long it would stay fresh if you didn't refrigerate. Sorry for the confusion.
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
pizzamoose wrote: But is it doing us any good?

so do you eat your pancake batter raw? or do you add the flax after they're cooked? just wondering, not breaking balls....I used to eat this met-rx pancake batter raw all the time, it was much better raw than cooked.....except when you put choc chips in them...mmmmm...
Actually I don't eat pancakes anymore at all..... *****sigh*****

But, I was basically comparing cooking times, as in the time the flax meal is subjected to heat. Baked goods = long time; pancakes = shorter amount of time & just mixed into oatmeal = shortest period of time.....thus, it wouldnt' break down as much the less time it's exposed to heat.....

Sorry if I"m not making any sense -- low-carb days...... :roll:
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

jenscats5 wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:
jenscats5 wrote: Well, I don't eat baked goods so I can't testify to that....

Actually I don't eat pancakes anymore at all..... *****sigh*****

But, I was basically comparing cooking times, as in the time the flax meal is subjected to heat. Baked goods = long time; pancakes = shorter amount of time & just mixed into oatmeal = shortest period of time.....thus, it wouldnt' break down as much the less time it's exposed to heat.....

Sorry if I"m not making any sense -- low-carb days...... :roll:
baked goods = lower heat, less oxidation...even tho a longer period of time...think about it...middle cooks last, use a toothpick.

stove top...i.e. pancakes usually means high heat, even for short periods, some kind of oil or non stick chemical, lots of oxidation, browning of the proteins (bad) and the need for syrup:)

pancakes are great post-workout when you want a higher carb, higher glycemic meal sista.
shortski
:dis