It's Time To End This Malarkey

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
throbster
Postaholic

It's Time To End This Malarkey

Post by throbster »

:banana: f*** the quarantines, :banana: f*** the social distancing and :banana: f*** the masks...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200924-151854.png
Screenshot_20200924-151854.png (118.68 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
spanky
Site Admin

Re: It's Time To End This Malarkey

Post by spanky »

Check your source. This guy is a urologist and while he claims this is from the CDC, I can’t find any other information about this data.

Remember, 75% of statistics are half made up.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

The age groups don’t even align with how the CDC reports cases and deaths but if it were on Twitter it must be true.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... mographics

Have to love an MD who posts figures and does not cite a source.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

I love how these idiots eat this stuff up
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

And i thought this was going to be about snowfall totals for this season. How dissappointing.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Nikoli wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 16:14 I love how these idiots eat this stuff up
We’re on track to lose more American’s to COVID in less than a year than we did in the entirety of WWII. We should probably give up and surrender to the virus.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 19:23
We’re on track to lose more American’s to COVID in less than a year than we did in the entirety of WWII. We should probably give up and surrender to the virus.
Cardiovascular disease is my main concern as we lose 600,000 Americans every year to this condition. See lots of folks give up and surrender to this issue. Get up early every day and play hard is my main defense. COVID took out many that had already surrendered to preventable medical conditions.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 07:52
Cardiovascular disease is my main concern as we lose 600,000 Americans every year to this condition. See lots of folks give up and surrender to this issue. Get up early every day and play hard is my main defense. COVID took out many that had already surrendered to preventable medical conditions.
:like :like
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

For many (most?), cardiovascular disease is preventable. COVID, not so much unless you practice distancing, masks, etc.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:37
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 19:23 We’re on track to lose more American’s to COVID in less than a year than we did in the entirety of WWII. We should probably give up and surrender to the virus.
For many (most?), cardiovascular disease is preventable. COVID, not so much unless you practice distancing, masks, etc.
Wouldn't that make COVID just as preventable then? No guarantee with either, just sound practices to reduce the risk of either significantly.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:48
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 19:23 We’re on track to lose more American’s to COVID in less than a year than we did in the entirety of WWII. We should probably give up and surrender to the virus.
Wouldn't that make COVID just as preventable then? No guarantee with either, just sound practices to reduce the risk of either significantly.
Sure, maybe if we all follow the sound practices that this thread is advocating we end.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Covid-19 seems like something many haven't really had to see first hand, and their only experience with it seems to be having to abide by social distancing/mask rules. To people who haven't seen it up close, experienced it, or had someone close to you die from it, I can see how this would all seem like malarkey. But having family with first hand experience at MGH in Boston where they literally shut the hospital down in March/April to focus on Covid cases and were at near capacity treating covid patients, well I think it provides some perspective.

Numbers are down and that is great. Hoping from here on out things stay that way. But ending social distancing right now seems reckless considering our experience from just six months ago.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 09:56Numbers are down and that is great. Hoping from here on out things stay that way. But ending social distancing right now seems reckless considering our experience from just six months ago.
A lot of midwestern states that have never really started any distancing/masks are seeing cases / death increase. Seems proof enough to stay the course for now and re-assess once vaccines become available.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 09:08
Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:48
Sure, maybe if we all follow the sound practices that this thread is advocating we end.
You could say the same thing about cardiovascular disease. Yet many do not heed the advice. You can choose to wear a mask, keep 6 feet away from others outside your household, not go to bars or any other close contact situation you feel is past your comfort level. There is nothing stopping you from reducing your risk from cardiovascular disease or COVID19. You haven't illustrated any other difference between the two. Why haven't we outlawed smoking? Why haven't we outlawed high salt french fries, soups, or corned beef? Why haven't we outlawed 24oz sugary drinks? (And when it was tried in NYC it was thrown out to an uproar) Why haven't we mandated 30 minutes of aerobic exercise each day? And yet Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in the US, with 650,000 deaths in 2019.

Maybe what we need more of is education and recommended procedures on how to protect the high risk groups, and worry less about the low risk groups. Maybe what we need more of is a 2 week quarantine to visit a nursing home, assisted living, or senior center, together with easy rapid result testing, and less quarantining of ski areas.

For instance, I just heard restaurants are going up to 75% capacity here. I don't think I'll be partaking of that choice for a while until we know more about the disease, vaccines, and how the 75% rule works out. If I was 80, I probably wouldn't ski this season, or maybe just ski weekday mornings from my car from 8-10 and only ride open chairlifts with my known ski buddy.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The biggest difference is that Covid 19 is communicable while heart disease is not. It's your choice if you want to eat french fries and not exercise. That won't affect me. However, I don't really have a choice but to breathe your germs if you don't wear a mask and come near me. Your rights end where mine begin. Now I suppose I could confine myself to my bunker at home and never leave, but then how would I get food, work to afford my mortgage, or buy things to repair my home when it breaks?

You bring up smoking. Look at all the places you're not allowed to smoke by law. Those laws are designed to protect people who don't really want to breathe your smoke. Similar idea with covid. The masks and social distancing are designed to protect me from others who may be careless.