It's Time To End This Malarkey

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: It's Time To End This Malarkey

Post by hillbangin »

deadheadskier wrote:I got more than one nurse in one hospital for a "gotcha" chief.

Spent most of Thursday in the neurology and vascular units of MGH including the ORs. I'd put the N95 usage by clinicians at less than 5%.

Typically visit 2-3 hospitals a day in VT, NH, ME and Eastern MA. Same thing pretty much everywhere since about July. May it was certainly more common to see them.
So if your on a floor that all the patients have been tested correct.

If your on a floor where they have not been tested you are full of shite.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Haha a floor where all patients have been tested? My wife works at MGH treating patients. She has never once been tested and the vast majority of her patients have never been. They all wear the cloth surgical masks. That is what the hospital hands out to staff and patients when they walk in.

The fact that at a premier hospital like MGH staff aren't routinely tested is a testament to how badly this whole thing has been managed. We are the most prosperous country in the world and can't get our sh!t together enough to routinely test health care workers in front line hospitals. Private colleges are testing their students multiple times a week but our government can't swing testing our health care workers. It's a joke.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

hillbangin wrote: Oct 25th, '20, 20:07
deadheadskier wrote:I got more than one nurse in one hospital for a "gotcha" chief.

Spent most of Thursday in the neurology and vascular units of MGH including the ORs. I'd put the N95 usage by clinicians at less than 5%.

Typically visit 2-3 hospitals a day in VT, NH, ME and Eastern MA. Same thing pretty much everywhere since about July. May it was certainly more common to see them.

Lol

Keep trying chief. Keep trying

I'm a vendor. I've never been tested. Most hospital staff are not tested regularly. There is vast movement of people everywhere in hospitals today (even perhaps the most prestigious hospital in the world in MGH) who have not been tested and can be asymptomatic carriers. People with symptoms are sent to negative pressure rooms and the PPE protocols for clinicians are different there. That's it though.

Don't believe me? Walk in the front door of MGH tomorrow. You'll get asked a handful of questions, quick temperature scan and off you go. And guess what? If you are wearing a N95 mask, they will have you remove it and put on a fresh, basic blue surgical mask. Same thing as that which is sold at the 7/11.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

deadheadskier wrote:

Lol

I'm a vendor. I've never been tested. Most hospital staff are not tested regularly. There is vast movement of people everywhere in hospitals today (even perhaps the most prestigious hospital in the world in MGH) who have not been tested and can be asymptomatic carriers. People with symptoms are sent to negative pressure rooms and the PPE protocols for clinicians are different there. That's it though.

Don't believe me? Walk in the front door of MGH tomorrow. You'll get asked a handful of questions, quick temperature scan and off you go. And guess what? If you are wearing a N95 mask, they will have you remove it and put on a fresh, basic blue surgical mask. Same thing as that which is sold at the 7/11.
Im talking about the floors where they are doing procedures mr vendor.

And ya. Not every floor is locked down. But more than half are.

And your right they don't test till symptoms are shown.

You want everyone to get tested every day?

Let's test them for everything else to like the flu chicken pox strep throat etc.

Don't confuse being a vendor with taking care of sick people.

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

They should be routinely testing health care workers until there is a vaccine for them to take. If your wife is a nurse then you know health care workers are required to get a flu vaccine which is why there's no need to test for that.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. Testing the front line workers routinely is the most obvious thing we should be doing. The President and his staff are routinely tested. The NBA/MLB/NFL routinely tests. Hell, private colleges,are routinely testing their students. Why in hell wouldn't you routinely test the people treating patients??

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

hillbangin wrote: Oct 25th, '20, 21:04
deadheadskier wrote:

Lol

Im talking about the floors where they are doing procedures mr vendor.

And ya. Not every floor is locked down. But more than half are.

And your right they don't test till symptoms are shown.

You want everyone to get tested every day?

Let's test them for everything else to like the flu chicken pox strep throat etc.

Don't confuse being a vendor with taking care of sick people.

Worked in a clinical capacity before moving over to the business side. In X-ray. That means I literally worked in every single area of a hospital. I know more than just a little bit about infection protocols. I still am present in the operating rooms during cases quite frequently, including what I was referring to above.

Keep trying though
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Real talk - Trump should have focused on a comprehensive national testing program instead of building a hundred thousand useless ventilators. We knew in March how important testing could be from places like South Korea that did it well. It's one of Trump's most glaring failures, along with failing to push mask usage. I'll give you that there were pros and cons to shutting down the economy and schools, but masks and testing were no-brainers that Trump totally botched.

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I remember back in april all they were screaming about was we need ventilators. Now Trump is the asshole for having them built. You really can't make this sh*t up. Sorry easy rider, but you just lost any credibility you had. But I know in your mind you are right.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Testing is readily and widely available. You can't force people to be tested, just like you can't force people's location and contacts to be actively tracked.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

easyrider16 wrote:Real talk - Trump should have focused on a comprehensive national testing program instead of building a hundred thousand useless ventilators. We knew in March how important testing could be from places like South Korea that did it well. It's one of Trump's most glaring failures, along with failing to push mask usage. I'll give you that there were pros and cons to shutting down the economy and schools, but masks and testing were no-brainers that Trump totally botched.

Real Talk. I'm sure you are very good at your job - butt when the scientists thought everyone was going to end up on vents trump built vents. He also sent hospital ships to LA and NY ( NOT RED STATES BTW ) At the same time fauchi said you don't need masks and pelosi said come to Chinatown.

This has been a sh*t show from the beginning. Trump's not a doctor and never played one on TV. And his doctors weren't alot of help.

Supposedly the smartest doctors in the world are in Boston and MGH was possibly the biggest hospital disaster in the country in Feb/March. Lots of nurses and docs got the Covid.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But don't play the he should have focused on testing before he built the vents.

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Written back in August, but highlights how the U.S. lagged in much-needed testing capacity throughout the first six months of the pandemic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ay/615217/
hillbangin wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 07:13 I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But don't play the he should have focused on testing before he built the vents.
Why not? He should have focused on testing. All the experts said he should have. He didn't do it. Seems pretty straightforward? Look I don't fault him for building vents per se (though you can fault him for overpaying, fraud, and waste). But there's no reason why he couldn't have focused on testing when all the experts were telling him to. I think Trump's doctor-advisors could have been a lot of help if he'd actually listened to them.

Sure, Fauci said in the beginning that asymptomatic people shouldn't wear masks. Then when the science discovered asymptomatic transmission was a problem and cloth masks were effective at slowing the spread, he changed the guidance. Trump failed to listen right there, and went on his merry way with no masks. Pointing to what Fauci said in the beginning of the pandemic when information about the virus was much more limited is this huge red herring that Trump keeps throwing out there to discredit scientists. One of his more glaring failures, in addition to masks and testing, is his constant attempts to undermine the experts whenever he doesn't like what they have to say, which only sows distrust of the very people we need to be listening to.

As to MGH being a disaster, what do you base that on? From what I could tell they weathered a pretty severe storm quite well. They never ran out of PPE. They had well thought-out contingency plans and executed them (my wife was part of it, treating Covid patients at the convention center). The overflow at the Boston Convention Center went well and they never exceeded their capacity to treat Covid patients despite a massive surge. How was it a disaster?

Edit: btw I am not sure the experts were telling Trump to build vents. From what I recall, experts were saying more vents would be nice but it wouldn't be possible to build enough in a short enough time to help with the surge.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Oct 26th, '20, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

hillbangin wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 07:13
easyrider16 wrote:Real talk - Trump should have focused on a comprehensive national testing program instead of building a hundred thousand useless ventilators. We knew in March how important testing could be from places like South Korea that did it well. It's one of Trump's most glaring failures, along with failing to push mask usage. I'll give you that there were pros and cons to shutting down the economy and schools, but masks and testing were no-brainers that Trump totally botched.

Real Talk. I'm sure you are very good at your job - butt when the scientists thought everyone was going to end up on vents trump built vents. He also sent hospital ships to LA and NY ( NOT RED STATES BTW ) At the same time fauchi said you don't need masks and pelosi said come to Chinatown.

This has been a sh*t show from the beginning. Trump's not a doctor and never played one on TV. And his doctors weren't alot of help.

Supposedly the smartest doctors in the world are in Boston and MGH was possibly the biggest hospital disaster in the country in Feb/March. Lots of nurses and docs got the Covid.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But don't play the he should have focused on testing before he built the vents.
It's still a sh*t show, unfortunately. I don't think anyone, at least not me, expected perfection from the get go. We knew little about the virus and mistakes were made early on ... Trump, Democrats, GOP, Doctors, CDC, FDA, etc. everyone. I personally think we still know very little.

The issue is the White House didn't make changes, to control the spread, based on what was learned and this is where Trump is at fault. Instead he politicized mask wearing ... making masks into something 'unmanly' or display of 'weakness' ... he continues to do it to this day. This is part of the reason we're a hot spot, when other countries seemingly have it under control. Mark Meadows over the weekend basically admitted the White House is done trying to control the spread. I don't agree with surrendering, but the truth is we may be too far down this road that the damage is unrepairable. The anti-maskers will turn into anti-vaxxers and, unfortunately, this virus may be here to stay long-term.

Over the weekend Scott Gottlieb. former head of the FDA, who I think has been on the right side of the COVID issue from the start ... thinks it will get so bad this winter that a mask mandate is necessary. Unfortunately, even if Trump decided to do such a thing ... many will ignore it and the rest of us will suffer the consequences. Like I said above, the damage has been done by Trump and his enablers.

A lot of posters are beating around the bush, but I don't see anyone saying we shouldn't be wearing masks. Yet, in some parts of the country, that's exactly what's happening. I was in rural PA last weekend and no one was wearing masks, not adults, not children, not store keepers, inside, outside, it didn't matter. This county has one of the worst per capita COVID case numbers in the state and it's a county which Trump won by over 60% of the vote.
hillbangin wrote: Oct 25th, '20, 12:16Comparing this to WW2 is stupid. No comparison.
Why isn't it comparable?
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Highway Star wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 07:01 Testing is readily and widely available.
On paper this may be true, but in practice not so much.

My experience trying to get tested for travel to a quarantine state was far less than ideal. None of the places i tried calling could tell me: (a) if my insurance would cover it, (b) how much it would cost if my insurance didn't cover it or (c) how long it would take to get the results......

So almost useless.
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Cost of testing in the U.S. is a big deal that most of the developed world doesn't have to deal with. Private insurance sometimes pays, sometimes doesn't depending on circumstances. Sometimes free pop-up testing is available, sometimes it's not.

I don't really see why the U.S. couldn't have spent the money to come up with a free, national, comprehensive testing regime. We just spent 4 trillion dollars on the economy, and we're looking at another 2 trillion. If we had just spent a hundred billion on testing imagine where we would be.

Edit: remember when there were reports about how Congress allocated billions of dollars for testing, yet the Trump administration was slow to use it?
“Yet based on the latest information from the Department of Health and Human Services, three months later less than half of the money provided has been obligated by the federal government and gaps in testing capacity and contact tracing are pervasive,” the Democrats wrote.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... s-have-yet
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

boston_e wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 07:43
Highway Star wrote: Oct 26th, '20, 07:01 Testing is readily and widely available.
On paper this may be true, but in practice not so much.

My experience trying to get tested for travel to a quarantine state was far less than ideal. None of the places i tried calling could tell me: (a) if my insurance would cover it, (b) how much it would cost if my insurance didn't cover it or (c) how long it would take to get the results......

So almost useless.
Once you get all the questions answered, often times it's a week to get results, which is also almost useless.