Signature Poster

Re: It's Time To End This Malarkey

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 11:13
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 09:08
Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:48
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:37
Guy in Shorts wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 07:52
Cardiovascular disease is my main concern as we lose 600,000 Americans every year to this condition. See lots of folks give up and surrender to this issue. Get up early every day and play hard is my main defense. COVID took out many that had already surrendered to preventable medical conditions.
For many (most?), cardiovascular disease is preventable. COVID, not so much unless you practice distancing, masks, etc.
Wouldn't that make COVID just as preventable then? No guarantee with either, just sound practices to reduce the risk of either significantly.
Sure, maybe if we all follow the sound practices that this thread is advocating we end.
You could say the same thing about cardiovascular disease.
You can't. If you don't heed a doctor's advice and end up with cardiovascular disease ... you can't give it to me.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Sep 25th, '20, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 11:13
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 09:08
Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:48
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 08:37
Guy in Shorts wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 07:52
Cardiovascular disease is my main concern as we lose 600,000 Americans every year to this condition. See lots of folks give up and surrender to this issue. Get up early every day and play hard is my main defense. COVID took out many that had already surrendered to preventable medical conditions.
For many (most?), cardiovascular disease is preventable. COVID, not so much unless you practice distancing, masks, etc.
Wouldn't that make COVID just as preventable then? No guarantee with either, just sound practices to reduce the risk of either significantly.
Sure, maybe if we all follow the sound practices that this thread is advocating we end.
You could say the same thing about cardiovascular disease. Yet many do not heed the advice. You can choose to wear a mask, keep 6 feet away from others outside your household, not go to bars or any other close contact situation you feel is past your comfort level. There is nothing stopping you from reducing your risk from cardiovascular disease or COVID19. You haven't illustrated any other difference between the two. Why haven't we outlawed smoking? Why haven't we outlawed high salt french fries, soups, or corned beef? Why haven't we outlawed 24oz sugary drinks? (And when it was tried in NYC it was thrown out to an uproar) Why haven't we mandated 30 minutes of aerobic exercise each day? And yet Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in the US, with 650,000 deaths in 2019.

Maybe what we need more of is education and recommended procedures on how to protect the high risk groups, and worry less about the low risk groups. Maybe what we need more of is a 2 week quarantine to visit a nursing home, assisted living, or senior center, together with easy rapid result testing, and less quarantining of ski areas.

For instance, I just heard restaurants are going up to 75% capacity here. I don't think I'll be partaking of that choice for a while until we know more about the disease, vaccines, and how the 75% rule works out. If I was 80, I probably wouldn't ski this season, or maybe just ski weekday mornings from my car from 8-10 and only ride open chairlifts with my known ski buddy.
The challenge is real, and *some* people are either too stubborn or maybe ignorant enough to get that their own actions (or maybe more appropriately lack of actions) can certainly have detrimental affects on their own health.

Heck, I've spent over 25 years telling people simple things like brush and floss your teeth daily, don't eat/drink sugary foods/liquids constantly all day long, etc, and there's still a sizable percentage of folks who I see in my office who have basically every single excuse known to humankind why they're not doing those basic, simple. personal health items. And that doesn't even get into some of the more "extreme" cases such as the parents who kept putting Mountain Dew in their kids bottle when they put him to bed and were wondering why he wouldn't fall asleep at night and had large amounts of decay, or the parents who kept putting fruit loops in the milk in their kids bottle because the father liked the taste of the milk in the bowl after he had some fruit loops and then also wondered why their kid had a plethora of decay (both are 100% true stories that I have heard/witnessed in my own office over the years!! :shock: :shock: )

Trying to get some percentage of the population to put aside their own wants in favor of some basic, logical, relatively simple and easy health and lifestyle choices, isn't an easy thing, and likely never will be an easy thing. Still a society where one has the choice to listen or not, is miles above a society where one doesn't have those individual choices in my book :like
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 11:31You can't. If you don't heed a doctor's advice and end up with cardiovascular disease ... you can't give it to me.
I think I can, or more accurately your parents can. Parents who smoke have doubled the chance their children will smoke.

But obviously COVID is communicable in ways heart disease is not. I get it. The no smoking in work places is an example of middle ground. I'm not saying I'm against that kind of middle ground.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: Sep 25th, '20, 11:51 The no smoking in work places is an example of middle ground. I'm not saying I'm against that kind of middle ground.
We agree on this!
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

throbster wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 14:22 :banana: f*** the quarantines, :banana: f*** the social distancing and :banana: f*** the masks...
Good thing you're not making the decisions.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 19:23
Nikoli wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 16:14 I love how these idiots eat this stuff up
We’re on track to lose more American’s to COVID in less than a year than we did in the entirety of WWII. We should probably give up and surrender to the virus.
407K in WW2, I'd say you have a little ways to go yet.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/stude ... ry-numbers

What about the 600K who supposedly die of cancer annually?
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Time to move this to the political forum......
Where is Happy Hour ?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

ME2VTSkier wrote: Sep 26th, '20, 09:11
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 19:23
Nikoli wrote: Sep 24th, '20, 16:14 I love how these idiots eat this stuff up
We’re on track to lose more American’s to COVID in less than a year than we did in the entirety of WWII. We should probably give up and surrender to the virus.
407K in WW2, I'd say you have a little ways to go yet.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/stude ... ry-numbers

What about the 600K who supposedly die of cancer annually?
Cancer isn’t contagious.
The death toll in the U.S., which is currently around 188,000, could more than double to over 400,000 by Jan. 1, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington’s School of Medicine is forecasting.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Also cancer is around 600K yearly
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Agreed. Democrats acting like little wimps as if it’s the end of the world. 0.05 % chance of dying from the China virus. Grow the fk up!!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Bigjohnski wrote: Sep 27th, '20, 18:15 Agreed. Democrats acting like little wimps as if it’s the end of the world. 0.05 % chance of dying from the China virus. Grow the fk up!!!
Democrats like Charlie Baker, Phil Scott, John Sununu?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Bigjohnski wrote: Sep 27th, '20, 18:15 Agreed. Democrats acting like little wimps as if it’s the end of the world. 0.05 % chance of dying from the China virus. Grow the fk up!!!
Did you graduate high school?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Bubba wrote:
Democrats like Charlie Baker, Phil Scott, John Sununu?
RINOs.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

They aren't RINOs. They're moderates. Once upon a time the two parties used to call themselves big tents with room for disagreement and differences of opinion within the party. These days apparently that's become unfashionable, but moderates do still exist in both parties.

As to the Covid mortality rate, .05% is much lower than what experts are saying. The consensus number I've read is 0.6%. Considering how easy this disease is to spread, that death rate could have been devastating absent social distancing. If just 1/2 of the U.S. population were infected, and the .6% death rate held up, that'd be nearly 1 million deaths. The reason deaths in the US are only around 200k is that extreme social distancing and use of masks have severely impeded the spread such that something like only 10% of the population has been infected. Had we not done what we did in shutting everything down, the death toll would have been catastrophic, especially in the first few months when there was no effective treatment.

See here: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020090 ... bout-covid

I wish people would get more of a clue about this stuff. If the disease is under control now, it's because we took extreme measures early. It would be foolish to take that as a sign that there was never any danger.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Hey, don't use my name for political bs!

:P