Who IS the MASTER DEBATER

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Who IS the MASTER DEBATER

Post by Highway Star »

"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

spanky wrote: Sep 29th, '20, 22:59I caught the end of it. I’m ashamed to be a US citizen.
Why? Ashamed to who?
easyrider16 wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 05:22I actually thought Trump nailed the first question about the supreme court nomination. Things went off the rails shortly thereafter. Biden was a little better than I thought he would be. I thought he did well on the Covid question. I could only handle about 20 minutes of the ensuing bs though before I needed a brain cleanse.

Btw who's idea was this dumb format? Open discussion after each side gets their say? Wtf? Its like they were aiming for a train wreck. Should have been the usual time for each side with time for brief rebuttal from one side. Also Wallace was terrible. Need someone stronger to reign in the candidates and cut off interruptions. I also think his questions weren't well phrased and tended to be argumentative.
I thought Trump performed worse in answer content and behavior than my expectations, and Biden performed better than expected in lack of expected gaffes or lapses. It's a telling comment though when many pundits (left and right) make statements about Biden making it through. Everyone acknowledges his lapses, and that's not a good cloud over your head. Biden did make a very odd "200 million" claim in the first segment that Trump jumped on, but nothing later on matched that one.

Petulant is a good word on Trump's demeanor at times. I found myself liking him less. But little on policy made me want to like Biden any more. I thought Biden's best jab was on the lack of attention in [almost] 4 years on health care. Trump struck back on doing more in 47 months than Biden in 47 years, which so far has more than just a ring of truth to it. Biden's claim that HE was in charge of the 2008-16 economic recovery ("I was asked to fix it, I did") rang hollow to me. Did Biden have any highlighted project at all in his resume like Pence does with COVID? Trump has paddled a fairly straight line since running, Biden changed course last night on the Green New Deal, de-funding police, and more.

Biden sought credibility by proclaiming he would "Buy American" during his administration. Uh, you mean more than in your 8 years as VP? Or in the last 4 of equalizing trade imbalances? Or how about the very recent demonstrated problem of outsourcing medicine manufacture and PPE manufacture offshore to uncooperative nations? You couldn't buy American then if you wanted to, it wasn't here to be bought. I thought that was a huge showing of lack of depth. You need the very incentives Biden rails against to keep industry on home soil. Biden promised to raise corporate taxes, a lollypop offering to those that don't understand the ramifications.

Some of you seem to have forgotten how debate tone and content can change, I think 3 debates is worthwhile even if you get some repetition, because sometime you don't. Different networks, different location and different moderators will affect the result. Polling afterwards has an effect on future content. As always, you don't have to watch if you don't want to.

Format-wise, you can harp against an open format when it goes off the rails, or you can harp against a format so structured it ends up being little more than a series of prepared statements. At least the off the rails moments had the form of a debate, an argument, and not a handler's script.

I'd be in favor of trying a zoom style mic-lit square on who's talking together with a clock, and each time your light is on your clock runs down. If you burn through your time, your mike goes off except for a 60 second closing remark. Having someone's finger on the mic switch every question just invites abuse (both accidental and intentional) and claims of favoritism.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Mister Moose wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 09:32I'd be in favor of trying a zoom style mic-lit square on who's talking together with a clock, and each time your light is on your clock runs down. If you burn through your time, your mike goes off except for a 60 second closing remark. Having someone's finger on the mic switch every question just invites abuse (both accidental and intentional) and claims of favoritism.
It'd be nice to have a visual timer that is visible both to candidates and the viewers. That's how they do it during Appeals Court arguments. Having a time clock would allow the moderator to jump in and say time's up without it looking like bias or being argumentative.

It would be comical to see something like the mic being shut off automatically after time is up, but I doubt the candidates would agree to it. At the very least though they could shut off the mic of the candidate when it's not their turn. Again, not sure candidates would agree to that.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

They should absolutely turn off the mic moving forward. If not, I see very little point to continuing the debates.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Mister Moose wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 09:32
spanky wrote: Sep 29th, '20, 22:59I caught the end of it. I’m ashamed to be a US citizen.
Why? Ashamed to who?
easyrider16 wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 05:22I actually thought Trump nailed the first question about the supreme court nomination. Things went off the rails shortly thereafter. Biden was a little better than I thought he would be. I thought he did well on the Covid question. I could only handle about 20 minutes of the ensuing bs though before I needed a brain cleanse.

Btw who's idea was this dumb format? Open discussion after each side gets their say? Wtf? Its like they were aiming for a train wreck. Should have been the usual time for each side with time for brief rebuttal from one side. Also Wallace was terrible. Need someone stronger to reign in the candidates and cut off interruptions. I also think his questions weren't well phrased and tended to be argumentative.
I thought Trump performed worse in answer content and behavior than my expectations, and Biden performed better than expected in lack of expected gaffes or lapses. It's a telling comment though when many pundits (left and right) make statements about Biden making it through. Everyone acknowledges his lapses, and that's not a good cloud over your head. Biden did make a very odd "200 million" claim in the first segment that Trump jumped on, but nothing later on matched that one.

Petulant is a good word on Trump's demeanor at times. I found myself liking him less. But little on policy made me want to like Biden any more. I thought Biden's best jab was on the lack of attention in [almost] 4 years on health care. Trump struck back on doing more in 47 months than Biden in 47 years, which so far has more than just a ring of truth to it. Biden's claim that HE was in charge of the 2008-16 economic recovery ("I was asked to fix it, I did") rang hollow to me. Did Biden have any highlighted project at all in his resume like Pence does with COVID? Trump has paddled a fairly straight line since running, Biden changed course last night on the Green New Deal, de-funding police, and more.

Biden sought credibility by proclaiming he would "Buy American" during his administration. Uh, you mean more than in your 8 years as VP? Or in the last 4 of equalizing trade imbalances? Or how about the very recent demonstrated problem of outsourcing medicine manufacture and PPE manufacture offshore to uncooperative nations? You couldn't buy American then if you wanted to, it wasn't here to be bought. I thought that was a huge showing of lack of depth. You need the very incentives Biden rails against to keep industry on home soil. Biden promised to raise corporate taxes, a lollypop offering to those that don't understand the ramifications.

Some of you seem to have forgotten how debate tone and content can change, I think 3 debates is worthwhile even if you get some repetition, because sometime you don't. Different networks, different location and different moderators will affect the result. Polling afterwards has an effect on future content. As always, you don't have to watch if you don't want to.

Format-wise, you can harp against an open format when it goes off the rails, or you can harp against a format so structured it ends up being little more than a series of prepared statements. At least the off the rails moments had the form of a debate, an argument, and not a handler's script.

I'd be in favor of trying a zoom style mic-lit square on who's talking together with a clock, and each time your light is on your clock runs down. If you burn through your time, your mike goes off except for a 60 second closing remark. Having someone's finger on the mic switch every question just invites abuse (both accidental and intentional) and claims of favoritism.
Why not just a steel cage match?

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Any comment?

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Not all Trump supporters are white supremacists, however, virtually all white supremacists are Trump supporters. Why is that?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bubba wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 12:33 Not all Trump supporters are white supremacists, however, virtually all white supremacists are Trump supporters. Why is that?
Not all Biden supporters are pedos, however, virtually all pedos are Biden supporters. Why is that?

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Highway Star wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 12:42
Bubba wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 12:33 Not all Trump supporters are white supremacists, however, virtually all white supremacists are Trump supporters. Why is that?
Not all Biden supporters are pedos, however, virtually all pedos are Biden supporters. Why is that?

Naw

Pretty sure most pedos are in the camp of the guy who admittedly creeped on naked teenage girls at his beauty pageants.

Next......
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

When is the last time virtually all white supremacists supported a Democrat?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

The 1990's......?

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 14:11
When is the last time virtually all white supremacists supported a Democrat?
For the 100 year’s following the Civil War. The KKK were all Democrats. 60’s Civil Rights movement was Republican driven.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Rick Santorum says white supremacists are (part of) Trump’s base

https://www.businessinsider.com/rick-sa ... ase-2020-9
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Sep 30th, '20, 22:08 Rick Santorum says white supremacists are (part of) Trump’s base

https://www.businessinsider.com/rick-sa ... ase-2020-9
It's actually kind of comical because Trump is doing what so many of his supporters hate about "liberals" - he's mincing words to try not to offend a group of people. It just so happens that this particular group is white and racist. Does that mean Trump is racist? I don't know. I don't think he's a white supremacist. I think he's probably a touch prejudiced the way your grandpa might be, but he's not going to say or do anything overtly racist.

Regardless, as Mitch McConnel said, his failure to denounce white supremacists was unacceptable. If you can't agree to that, you're either drunk on the Trump kool aid or you're a white supremacist.