Defund the military

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Defund the military

Post by daytripper »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democr ... e-pentagon

Defunding the police wasn't enough, now they want us to defund the military too. Russia, china, n korea and iran must be be rolling on the floor laughing! I guess US military lives don't matter.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Defund the military

Post by easyrider16 »

Well let's see. The U.S. spends as much on defense as China, India, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan, South Korea, and Brazil - combined. And those ten countries spend the most out of everyone besides the U.S. When you look at it from that perspective, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea at all. I say bring most of the troops home and cut defense spending in half. Even after cutting the budget in half, we'd still be spending more than anyone else in the world. Frankly, I think defunding the pentagon is a better idea than defunding police (which I'm generally not a fan of).
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 21st, '20, 13:26 Well let's see. The U.S. spends as much on defense as China, India, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan, South Korea, and Brazil - combined. And those ten countries spend the most out of everyone besides the U.S. When you look at it from that perspective, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea at all. I say bring most of the troops home and cut defense spending in half. Even after cutting the budget in half, we'd still be spending more than anyone else in the world. Frankly, I think defunding the pentagon is a better idea than defunding police (which I'm generally not a fan of).
I don't agree with defunding the Pentagon or Police. I think 'defunding' is poor word choice and does a disservice to what I think could be a thoughtful approach to govt spending.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Agreed on the issue of word choice. I also don't think we should be taking money away from police programs, but rather increasing the amount of training they undergo, particularly in the areas of de-escalation and community relations.

I also think if you're going to cut defense spending, you need to reduce overseas commitments. It doesn't make sense to cut funding without cutting down on the mission.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 21st, '20, 13:26 Well let's see. The U.S. spends as much on defense as China, India, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan, South Korea, and Brazil - combined. And those ten countries spend the most out of everyone besides the U.S. When you look at it from that perspective, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea at all. I say bring most of the troops home and cut defense spending in half. Even after cutting the budget in half, we'd still be spending more than anyone else in the world. Frankly, I think defunding the pentagon is a better idea than defunding police (which I'm generally not a fan of).
Brilliant. How about instead of social programs, we offer people $1000 and a one way ticket to sub-saharan Africa? :banana: :banana: :banana:
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

So funding policy should be based on fractional ratios to other countries, as opposed to strategic goals and needs. Got it. Also the developer of new technology should of course spend similar amounts to those that don't develop leading edge weapons and equipment. And further more, since no one is on our doorstep we have no need to do any expensive development, so we can cut budgets by a large arbitrary amount like half. Because lets face it, everyone is our friend and no other country would never exercise military force against us. Then we can spend all that money on electric cars, windmills and snowmaking.

Yeah yeah, $10,000 hammers. I'm not saying there isn't stuff you could find to cut.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Woof. Talk about putting words in someone else's mouth. Most of what you criticize above, I did not say. Also, false premise that the U.S. is somehow the only country that develops new weapons. China does a ton of development, as does Russia, and from what I've read much of their hardware is on par with ours.

Additionally, I do not see why it is unreasonable to look at what other countries are spending on their militaries as a factor to consider in deciding what we should be spending on ours. Who are we preparing to fight, aliens?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 21st, '20, 15:41China does a ton of development, as does Russia, and from what I've read much of their hardware is on par with ours.
That's because they steal our IP :dislike

We let them though ...
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

How do you know how much china or russia spends on defense?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The internet.

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Mister Moose wrote: Oct 21st, '20, 14:31Yeah yeah, $10,000 hammers. I'm not saying there isn't stuff you could find to cut.
On watch on the sub we were using a $10,000 valve that we didn't need as a paper weight. Too much paperwork to return into the supply system so the M Division Officer had me toss it in the trash.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 21st, '20, 20:34 The internet.

I got a bridge for sale, I'll give you a really good deal on it.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Oh yeah? Can I charge tolls?

On a more serious note, if you actually dispute the facts I cited, either provide some evidence or I'll continue to treat your posts as frivolous.

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 22nd, '20, 06:33 Oh yeah? Can I charge tolls?

On a more serious note, if you actually dispute the facts I cited, either provide some evidence or I'll continue to treat your posts as frivolous.
But your evidence of I found it on the internet is ok....but your right, I suppose china is always completely honest.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Oct 22nd, '20, 06:59
easyrider16 wrote: Oct 22nd, '20, 06:33 Oh yeah? Can I charge tolls?

But your evidence of I found it on the internet is ok....but your right, I suppose china is always completely honest.
If you were willing to put in an ounce of time for research you would find that there are numerous sources you can cite to for this information. But you'd rather just deny the facts and not bother to research it, so I didn't answer you honestly. Nor will I until you actually put in some effort to discern the facts. Right now you're like a guy at the end of the bar saying, "Nuh uh!" in response to a factual argument. That kind of thing doesn't merit a serious response.