Anyone else ask for a season pass refund?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

IanC
Beginner On Rentals

Anyone else ask for a season pass refund?

Post by IanC »

I just requested a refund. I ski at Killington to have fun and grab wings and beers on the access road with friends. I have no desire to fill out mandated paperwork, attesting to anything, or avoid the pitchfork-wielding locals because I have an out of state license plate. This is a virus that can be managed with reasonable precautions, not Zombieland.

I’ll wait for 21/22

Ian
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Re: Anyone else ask for a season pass refund?

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

NO SOUP FOR YOU!.....
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Yep , refunds for my wife and I. Sorry, but as a 50 day skier depression has me hoping for a warm n wet winter so that I don’t miss it .
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Atomic1 wrote: Nov 13th, '20, 14:15 Yep , refunds for my wife and I. Sorry, but as a 50 day skier depression has me hoping for a warm n wet winter so that I don’t miss it .
Wow, that’s cold .... you make a decision to do what is right for you and your family, but wish bad for those willing to take a chance enjoying one of their passions .... yea, I know, you were just kidding :? :bull
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Atomic1 wrote: Nov 13th, '20, 14:15 Yep , refunds for my wife and I. Sorry, but as a 50 day skier depression has me hoping for a warm n wet winter so that I don’t miss it .
For what's it's worth, which isn't much, the weather channel's long range forecast looks to be in your favor.
https://weather.com/forecast/national/n ... ted-states

As far as the pass goes, we opted out when the passes went on sale and are glad we did.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

K town is a bio/hazmat incident waiting to happen. I love K town. Just had to say no this year. I'll still enjoy the check from the the people that want to visit. :Toast
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Great! We'll all be so sad to see you go! You win the coveted Ahole of the year award.
Trump Conversion Therapy.jpg
Trump Conversion Therapy.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Have not asked for a refund yet, but depending on how the season goes, I'll keep the no-use guarantee in the back of my mind.

At this point I'm figuring if my kids school goes full remote, I'll do the 7 day + test quarantine and move to Vermont for a few weeks and get all the value out of our passes during that time.
Don't Killington Pico
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

i went with the refund
checked on the voucher, its still good to 05/31/21
so i'll use it again next year [maybe usable on a spring pass don't know about that]
til then hope they have great year
yeah poconos
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

boston_e wrote: Nov 14th, '20, 08:00 At this point I'm figuring if my kids school goes full remote, I'll do the 7 day + test quarantine and move to Vermont for a few weeks and get all the value out of our passes during that time.
I’m having the same thoughts, but I’m guessing the mountain will close before that happens.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Nikoli wrote: Nov 14th, '20, 10:52
boston_e wrote: Nov 14th, '20, 08:00 At this point I'm figuring if my kids school goes full remote, I'll do the 7 day + test quarantine and move to Vermont for a few weeks and get all the value out of our passes during that time.
I’m having the same thoughts, but I’m guessing the mountain will close before that happens.
Why would the mountain need to close? The resorts have a viable plan to operate safely. The state has no reason to close the resorts. Tighten up quarantine enforcement, maybe. The businesses that line the access road? Not so much. I always boot up in the condo and go straight to the lift anyways.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Geoff wrote: Nov 14th, '20, 11:40
Why would the mountain need to close? The resorts have a viable plan to operate safely. The state has no reason to close the resorts. Tighten up quarantine enforcement, maybe. The businesses that line the access road? Not so much. I always boot up in the condo and go straight to the lift anyways.
It's just a hunch. We will see what open weekend looks like. I am guessing if that becomes out of control we will all lose out.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
thebigo
Black Carver

Post by thebigo »

IanC wrote: Nov 13th, '20, 10:59 I just requested a refund. I ski at Killington to have fun and grab wings and beers on the access road with friends. I have no desire to fill out mandated paperwork, attesting to anything, or avoid the pitchfork-wielding locals because I have an out of state license plate. This is a virus that can be managed with reasonable precautions, not Zombieland.

I’ll wait for 21/22

Ian
New Hampshire is open for business. North conway, best ski town in the east, will be happy to host you. Six mountains a short drive from downtown, several thousand acres of skiing. Endless bars and breweries.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

If the majority of people follow the quarantine rules, which is highly doubtful, you have to seriously question the profitability of the resort without 60-70% of their customers. Closing may be the best option financially if that actually happens. I'm also guessing that ski resorts make the vast majority of their profits, if not all of their profits, from food, alcohol, rentals, and ski shop sales which will all most likely be way down this year either way. Break even is probably the best that they can hope for even if most people break the rules. An executive with a large movie theater chain told me several years ago that they barely break even on ticket sales and that all of their profits come from the concession stand. He said "we are actually in the snack bar business." I have a feeling the ski business is even more so when you think of the massive overhead involved with operating a mountain, especially in the east with heavy snowmaking expenses.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

KingsFourMan wrote: Nov 14th, '20, 21:17
If the majority of people follow the quarantine rules, which is highly doubtful, you have to seriously question the profitability of the resort without 60-70% of their customers. Closing may be the best option financially if that actually happens. I'm also guessing that ski resorts make the vast majority of their profits, if not all of their profits, from food, alcohol, rentals, and ski shop sales which will all most likely be way down this year either way. Break even is probably the best that they can hope for even if most people break the rules. An executive with a large movie theater chain told me several years ago that they barely break even on ticket sales and that all of their profits come from the concession stand. He said "we are actually in the snack bar business." I have a feeling the ski business is even more so when you think of the massive overhead involved with operating a mountain, especially in the east with heavy snowmaking expenses.
The resort has that huge pile of season pass money. It might be an austerity budget but they can run the lifts. I’d guess the snowmaking budget is half of usual so a lot of double blacks won’t see any snowmaking. If they shut the doors for the winter, they have to refund all that season pass money. No way they would do that.