Snow total reporting

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Killington Resort
The Beast

Snow total reporting

Post by Killington Resort »

I read the post on snow total reporting and fIgured I would reply to let you know how the process works. I understand many think there is some grand plan or conspiracy going on with snow totals. I think in the past there probably was sometimes. For the last several years at least since I have been involved and understand the process, the operations team does all the snow total reporting. Typically ski patrol is the one checking snow totals at least during operating hours (grooming typically does it overnight). They measure the snow and then clean off the stake so next time it is measured it is starting from zero. They then call this amount in and leave a message and we get a voicemail of snow reported. I get this every time there is snow reported. Then our snow reporter or someone in dispatch enters this amount in the system. There is no judgment call or adjustments made. Ski patrol has no incentive to overstate the totals. The stake is at the top of the mountain in an area with lower wind so we hopefully don’t have much wind drift to change the amount. Clearly if you have spent time on the mountain you know we get vast different amounts up top vs even down in the parking lots. I am sure sometimes over the years someone forgot to clean the stake and an inch or two was over reported but if we think there is a mistake we try to correct it. There are humans involved so I am sure sometimes something is not correct but I can tell you that we did not sit around and say on Tuesday, “let’s add a couple of extra inches to the snow reading so we can get more people to come here”. We are spending every waking hour trying to make sure we can stay open and survive this winter and snow totals are not even close to being a topic of discussion of our team. Thought I would at least give you my perspective on the topic.
Mike
tt431
Post Office

Re: Snow total reporting

Post by tt431 »

Thanks for the clear and detailed explanation. Killington is doing an outstanding job this season. Congratulations!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

once again mike thanks for communicating. think you guys have done a fabulous job in all phases of the operation this season. really appreciate it. thank you.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

tt431 wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 07:10 Thanks for the clear and detailed explanation. Killington is doing an outstanding job this season. Congratulations!
What a kiss ass you are. I for do not believe there are not liberties taken when reporting snow totals. Butt, ignorance is the fault of the beholder. Kinda of like the dopes on here who believe in the marketing hyperbole of the existence of Killington headwalls.

SheNewbie, out.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Thanks Mike

Just keep making it!

Nobody that's counting matters!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Nobody thinks there's any Grand Plan or conspiracy other than staying as low as possible on Gov Scott's radar.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

[Some Killington Staffer]: Mike, the knuckleheads on Kzone are at it again.
[Mike]: Oh Lord, what is it this time?
[Staffer]: Snow totals
[Mike]: Really? Don't those people have jobs?
[Staffer]: None of the ones I know...
[Mike]: Alright, I'll handle it. :roll:
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 11:10 [Some Killington Staffer]: Mike, the knuckleheads on Kzone are at it again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :banana:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

Humpty Dumpty wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 09:20
tt431 wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 07:10 Thanks for the clear and detailed explanation. Killington is doing an outstanding job this season. Congratulations!
What a kiss ass you are. I for do not believe there are not liberties taken when reporting snow totals. Butt, ignorance is the fault of the beholder. Kinda of like the dopes on here who believe in the marketing hyperbole of the existence of Killington headwalls.

SheNewbie, out.
:!: This denial of existence of headwalls is disputed.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Vertigo definitely has a "headwall" as does Cascade Downdraft and Devils Fiddle right side.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

tt431 wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 13:09
Humpty Dumpty wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 09:20 Kinda of like the dopes on here who believe in the marketing hyperbole of the existence of Killington headwalls.
:!: This denial of existence of headwalls is disputed.
As if there is a chute on Chute, or anyone yodeling on Yodeler. You can't launch a thing off Launch Pad. Me thinks Humpty needs to recognize the difference between trail names and actual headwalls. Or actual wildfires. Or actual fiddles. Or actual timberlines. Because there is so little hyperbole in ski area marketing.

Packed Powder,

Out.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. actual Anarchy exists .. more so now than ever 8)

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

GSKI wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 13:12 Vertigo definitely has a "headwall" as does Cascade Downdraft and Devils Fiddle right side.
Comical. Keep telling yourself that.

What a joke.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

rogman wrote: Dec 5th, '20, 11:10 [Some Killington Staffer]: Mike, the knuckleheads on Kzone are at it again.

Funny... one of the funniest post on Kzone to be honest
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

:lol: So ridiculous the dopey stuff that's argued on KZone. Of course, it's entertaining! Thanks for the update Mike.
Speaking of ridiculous posts, where's the great HS these days? :|