What is a patriot?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

What is a patriot?

Post by Bubba »

No, not the football team. Serious question about the meaning of a word too often thrown about as support for one political position or another.

What is a patriot? What does being a patriot mean to you?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: What is a patriot?

Post by easyrider16 »

Well if you asked me when I was younger I would have said someone who supports their country and the ideals upon which it was founded. Today I'm much more cynical. Patriotism is often used for nefarious ends. Look at all of the most horrible incidents of state action across world history and you will find at the root of almost all of them someone who describes himself as a patriot.

What I would like the term "patriot" to mean in our context is someone who questions *all* government officials and politicians, not just the ones they voted against, and cares more about the institutions of freedom, rights, democracy, and the rule of law rather than any particular leader, party, constitution or government. But I'm not sure that's ever going to be an accepted definition.

I dunno man, I look at the world and see one people divided artificially into tribes that fight one another for mostly stupid reasons. Patriotism is in a way can be a kind of tribalism - my country is better than your country, and since we're so superior we should be able to do whatever we want regardless of how it affects you. That can be a dangerous mentality and produce a lot of suffering and misery in the world. Thus, Oscar Wilde's quotation, patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

In 2020?

Apparently hyper masculine, white males who support Trump, the 2A, Q conspiracies and a love to demonstrate it all on social media to trigger the libs.

That's pretty much the M.O. of 99% of people these days who self declare as Patriots.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

deadheadskier wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 17:09That's pretty much the M.O. of 99% of people these days who self declare as Patriots.
I think you're onto something ... perhaps a patriot is someone that would never call themselves such a name?

My father in law was part of a clandestine Navy group during Vietnam. Many in his group were killed - one KIA from his group has a Navy ship named after them. They saved hundreds, if not thousands of lives, through execution of their missions.

I think of him as a patriot. You'd never know it if you met him. Humble to the core, yet proud to have served his country.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 17:09 In 2020?

Apparently hyper masculine, white males who support Trump, the 2A, Q conspiracies and a love to demonstrate it all on social media to trigger the libs.

That's pretty much the M.O. of 99% of people these days who self declare as Patriots.
What does it mean to YOU, not what you think it means to others?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 17:54

By definition, it's someone who supports their country and is willing to defend it. Which should mean defend all people, lands, etc, no matter political affiliation.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

A patriot defends the constitutional rights we were granted. They help their neighbors. They come and put out your chimney fire at 3 am. They stop and pull you out of a ditch in a snowstorm. They will defend your right to express your freedom of speech. Even if they disagree.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Took an oath eons ago - I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States... So help me God.
Kind of covers most bases.

Am I hyper masculine if I ski in shorts?
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 18:14
Bubba wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 17:54

By definition, it's someone who supports their country and is willing to defend it. Which should mean defend all people, lands, etc, no matter political affiliation.
Does that mean “my country right or wrong”? People who have protested military action ie Vietnam have been called by many “unpatriotic”.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 18:39 Took an oath eons ago - I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States... So help me God.

That’s a military oath, including obeying the President. What if the order given by the President or other officer is illegal? Would it be unpatriotic to disobey?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Bubba wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 20:49
Guy in Shorts wrote: Dec 15th, '20, 18:39 Took an oath eons ago - I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States... So help me God.

That’s a military oath, including obeying the President. What if the order given by the President or other officer is illegal? Would it be unpatriotic to disobey?
Uniform Code of Military Justice is the standard by which the military operates. As in any system that establishes rules and order not every outcome is perfect. Orders are meant to be followed so disobeying would subject you to being charged. Found defending myself at "The Green Table" a character building experience. You most certainly can be a patriot yet disobey an order. Deck is stacked heavily against you so you must be ready for the outcome.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I thought I'd resurrect this thread after the events of this past week since it was self-declared "patriots" that rioted in DC and broke into the Capitol.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

i see traitors not patrots
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

I see Buccaneers.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

they won last nite
thet showed ther true colors on wensday
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis