Impeachment?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice

Should Congress vote to impeach President Trump as a result of his actions on January 6th?

Poll ended at Jan 19th, '21, 17:38

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 45

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Impeachment?

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 12:55 Eyeballs? That's about as useful as posting thoughts and prayers on facebook. Don't results matter?
Really? All Trump did with respect to China is thoughts and prayers on Facebook?

I think I'm done with you for a while.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

*shrug* suit yourself. If you had facts to suggest that I'm somehow mistaken, I'd be happy to read them.

Btw, you mischaracterized my words again. I never said Trump's China policy amounted to thoughts and prayers on Facebook. I said getting eyeballs amounted to thoughts and prayers on Facebook. I think Trump's China policy was actually more harmful than helpful, which is much worse than posting thoughts and prayers on Facebook, which is just harmless.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I have to give Trump credit for a couple of other non-legislative accomplishments:

1. His outreach to North Korea, however misperceived by Trump in his thinking he had the "ability" to charm Kim, was possibly worthwhile in opening a higher level channel of communication. For whatever it's worth, that's a positive.

2. Showing to the majority of Americans that government experience and knowledge, acceptance of dissenting viewpoints, along with competency in leadership, is an important quality for a President. It may have taken a pandemic to prove it, but a lesson has been learned through epic failure and unnecessary suffering.

3. Getting people to participate and vote. This past election brought out more voters, on both sides, than any previous Presidential election and voter participation percentages went up significantly from recent cycles.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: 2. Showing to the majority of Americans that government experience and knowledge, acceptance of dissenting viewpoints, along with competency in leadership, is an important quality for a President. It may have taken a pandemic to prove it, but a lesson has been learned through epic failure and unnecessary suffering.
Maybe I'm jaded but this strikes me as an incredibly optimistic take. My more jaded take is that Trump exposed vulnerabilities in the system that could be exploited by a future dictator.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 16:12
Bubba wrote: 2. Showing to the majority of Americans that government experience and knowledge, acceptance of dissenting viewpoints, along with competency in leadership, is an important quality for a President. It may have taken a pandemic to prove it, but a lesson has been learned through epic failure and unnecessary suffering.
Maybe I'm jaded but this strikes me as an incredibly optimistic take. My more jaded take is that Trump exposed vulnerabilities in the system that could be exploited by a future dictator.
And he isn't finished.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 16:12

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I think we're talking about two different issues. Mine refers to four years of incompetence capped off by the disastrous pandemic response. I think you're referring to the election issues he created and exploited, culminating in the events of January 6th.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:35
Bubba wrote: Feb 22nd, '21, 22:15
asher2789 wrote: Feb 22nd, '21, 21:54
Bubba wrote: Feb 18th, '21, 12:20
asher2789 wrote: Feb 18th, '21, 12:09
biden is already f*** it up by not sending out $2000 stimulus checks within days of becoming president. he keeps breaking campaign promises left and right.
Help me on this one. What power does Biden have to send out stimulus checks to anyone? What other promises has he "broken"?
he has both a house and senate majority. im tired of democrats and their excuses when they have the power to actually do something.
You do realize that Biden has no power to either send checks on his own or order Congress to do anything so blaming Biden is silly. You also realize that the legislation to do these things takes time to write (they just finished a few days ago) and that Congress has its own legislative procedures it must follow, not to mention the constitutional requirement that money bills start in the House. And you must realize that the Senate is 50/50 and one Democratic Senator is against at least a portion of the bill as currently proposed. And, finally, you realize that nobody is going to get a $2,000 anyway; it’s $1,400. Just sayin...

Stay angry my friend.
Trump got whatever the hell trump wanted when he had both the house and senate. im tired of the excuses. i understand excuse making with a divided government, but it's time to crack the whip. the democrats need a mcconnell of their own, too many spineless wimps running the show.
Ruling probably takes minimum wage hike out of Covid relief bill.

https://apple.news/AYMI03dB4TjirI-OEa5E6fQ

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 20:54

Help me on this one. What power does Biden have to send out stimulus checks to anyone? What other promises has he "broken"?
he has both a house and senate majority. im tired of democrats and their excuses when they have the power to actually do something.
You do realize that Biden has no power to either send checks on his own or order Congress to do anything so blaming Biden is silly. You also realize that the legislation to do these things takes time to write (they just finished a few days ago) and that Congress has its own legislative procedures it must follow, not to mention the constitutional requirement that money bills start in the House. And you must realize that the Senate is 50/50 and one Democratic Senator is against at least a portion of the bill as currently proposed. And, finally, you realize that nobody is going to get a $2,000 anyway; it’s $1,400. Just sayin...

Stay angry my friend.
Trump got whatever the hell trump wanted when he had both the house and senate. im tired of the excuses. i understand excuse making with a divided government, but it's time to crack the whip. the democrats need a mcconnell of their own, too many spineless wimps running the show.

What does this even mean? What effect are items supposed to have on the budget?
The ruling was made by Senate parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough, a nonpartisan official who is little known outside Washington but might command tremendous influence over certain elements of Biden’s agenda. Her ruling pertains only to the Senate, where the legislation will move forward under complex rules that prohibit certain items that don’t have a particular effect on the budget. MacDonough determined that, as written, the minimum-wage increase did not pass that test — an outcome that had been predicted by a number of Democrats, including Biden himself.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

One assumes that the minimum wage hike is not something the U.S. government has to pay for, so it isn't related to the budget, and therefore not allowed as part of a funding bill like the Covid relief bill.

Honestly, it's a good rule. When Congress passes a spending bill, politicians shouldn't be able to put random riders on it that could either kill the bill or saddle us with BS that should be debated on its own merits. I support a minimum wage hike, but I think it should be passed on its own merits, not as part of a spending bill.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 07:07 One assumes that the minimum wage hike is not something the U.S. government has to pay for, so it isn't related to the budget, and therefore not allowed as part of a funding bill like the Covid relief bill.

Honestly, it's a good rule. When Congress passes a spending bill, politicians shouldn't be able to put random riders on it that could either kill the bill or saddle us with BS that should be debated on its own merits. I support a minimum wage hike, but I think it should be passed on its own merits, not as part of a spending bill.
Thanks. I never knew such a check existed.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I think it only applies to the reconciliation process to avoid filibuster. More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconcili ... _Congress)
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Line item veto.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Same election lies being repeated at CPAC today. It is rich to see networks covering the event have to cut away and put a disclaimer out there that the stuff the speakers are saying may not actually be the truth ... that people watching should do their own research and check with their healthcare providers on masks, etc.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Stay angry my friend.

using budget reconciliation to pass a minimum wage raise was bernie's idea. i love bernie, but it sounded like a bad plan from the start. what bernie should of done was create a bill raising the minimum wage, and then have manchin and probably all of the republicans on record saying theyre against americans having the right to make more than $7.25 an hour.

also, $15 minimum wage is a joke. if it kept up with productivity / inflation / cost of living it since the 1970s it would be around ~$25 an hour now. why is it not? where do you think the 1% gets their $ from? EXPLOITING LEGALIZED WAGE THEFT! and us taxpayers foot the bill. walmart et al can pay starvation wages, because there's always food stamps and section 8 housing to keep their employees surviving on the bare minimum. funny how the "pro life" and "anti tax" crowd are also pro slave wage labor whining about how $15 an hour burger flippers are costing them an extra 20 cents for their big mac...

anyways, still pinning this on the democrats. can't wait for them to lose the house and the senate in 2022 and trump to be president again in 2024 - that appears to be their goal, or at least, the goal of their funders. buy both sides, and you always win! contrary to popular belief, i am anti-fascist, not a democrat, and both parties promote fascism. but the democrats have *diverse* fascism!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 26th, '21, 21:44

Stay angry my friend.

using budget reconciliation to pass a minimum wage raise was bernie's idea. i love bernie, but it sounded like a bad plan from the start. what bernie should of done was create a bill raising the minimum wage, and then have manchin and probably all of the republicans on record saying theyre against americans having the right to make more than $7.25 an hour.

also, $15 minimum wage is a joke. if it kept up with productivity / inflation / cost of living it since the 1970s it would be around ~$25 an hour now. why is it not? where do you think the 1% gets their $ from? EXPLOITING LEGALIZED WAGE THEFT! and us taxpayers foot the bill. walmart et al can pay starvation wages, because there's always food stamps and section 8 housing to keep their employees surviving on the bare minimum. funny how the "pro life" and "anti tax" crowd are also pro slave wage labor whining about how $15 an hour burger flippers are costing them an extra 20 cents for their big mac...

anyways, still pinning this on the democrats. can't wait for them to lose the house and the senate in 2022 and trump to be president again in 2024 - that appears to be their goal, or at least, the goal of their funders. buy both sides, and you always win! contrary to popular belief, i am anti-fascist, not a democrat, and both parties promote fascism. but the democrats have *diverse* fascism!
I think you better provide your definition of fascism before continuing this conversation.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald