Impeachment?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice

Should Congress vote to impeach President Trump as a result of his actions on January 6th?

Poll ended at Jan 19th, '21, 17:38

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 45

asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Impeachment?

Post by asher2789 »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 17th, '21, 09:40 I don't really see what the heck McConnel's strategy is here. He acquits Trump, then gives a speech that all but guarantees Trump is going to turn on him. Why not just vote to convict and get a few of your colleagues to follow? And I don't buy that he actually believes the BS argument that the Senate doesn't have jurisdiction to convict a sitting President. They have whatever jurisdiction they decide to have once the House sends them articles of impeachment.
the strategy is to get dems to spend the next four years doing nothing but investigating trump, which will lead them to losing the house and the senate in 2022. mcconnell will be back in power soon enough. he is by far and wide, the smartest and most capable politician this country has seen in a generation. too bad he uses his talents to make life miserable for the majority of us.

biden is already f*** it up by not sending out $2000 stimulus checks within days of becoming president. he keeps breaking campaign promises left and right. if the democrats are good at anything, its snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. my hatred of the democrat party is only eclipsed by my hatred of trump and his republican enablers and cult followers.

neither party represents us, they only represent their donors and none of us are rich enough to be considered donors worthy of caring for. my $100 pales in comparison to the millions raised by super PACs. both parties hate the working class, but one party at least tries to pretend otherwise.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 18th, '21, 12:09
biden is already f*** it up by not sending out $2000 stimulus checks within days of becoming president. he keeps breaking campaign promises left and right.
Help me on this one. What power does Biden have to send out stimulus checks to anyone? What other promises has he "broken"?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

leave it alone..Asser hates EVERYTHING.....
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

You Trump hating idiots lost again LOL!!!
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

What exactly did the Trump-hating idiots lose? Be specific. Use your words.

I will take this opportunity to point out the irony that your guy lost the election and his party lost their majority in the Senate. Your guy also just lost at the Supreme Court, again, which declined to overturn the lower court ruling that Trump had to turn over his tax records to the DA's office in New York. Your guy is facing criminal investigations in multiple states and potentially a Federal investigation. In short, your guy is a yuuuuge loser, and you're talking about Trump-haters having lost.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Bubba wrote: Feb 18th, '21, 12:20
biden is already f*** it up by not sending out $2000 stimulus checks within days of becoming president. he keeps breaking campaign promises left and right.
Help me on this one. What power does Biden have to send out stimulus checks to anyone? What other promises has he "broken"?
he has both a house and senate majority. im tired of democrats and their excuses when they have the power to actually do something.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 22nd, '21, 21:54
he has both a house and senate majority. im tired of democrats and their excuses when they have the power to actually do something.
You do realize that Biden has no power to either send checks on his own or order Congress to do anything so blaming Biden is silly. You also realize that the legislation to do these things takes time to write (they just finished a few days ago) and that Congress has its own legislative procedures it must follow, not to mention the constitutional requirement that money bills start in the House. And you must realize that the Senate is 50/50 and one Democratic Senator is against at least a portion of the bill as currently proposed. And, finally, you realize that nobody is going to get a $2,000 anyway; it’s $1,400. Just sayin...

Stay angry my friend.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Bubba wrote: Feb 22nd, '21, 22:15
You do realize that Biden has no power to either send checks on his own or order Congress to do anything so blaming Biden is silly. You also realize that the legislation to do these things takes time to write (they just finished a few days ago) and that Congress has its own legislative procedures it must follow, not to mention the constitutional requirement that money bills start in the House. And you must realize that the Senate is 50/50 and one Democratic Senator is against at least a portion of the bill as currently proposed. And, finally, you realize that nobody is going to get a $2,000 anyway; it’s $1,400. Just sayin...

Stay angry my friend.
Trump got whatever the hell trump wanted when he had both the house and senate. im tired of the excuses. i understand excuse making with a divided government, but it's time to crack the whip. the democrats need a mcconnell of their own, too many spineless wimps running the show.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:35

Stay angry my friend.
Trump got whatever the hell trump wanted when he had both the house and senate. im tired of the excuses. i understand excuse making with a divided government, but it's time to crack the whip. the democrats need a mcconnell of their own, too many spineless wimps running the show.
The only significant piece of legislation that Trump got was the tax bill in his first year, and that took quite some time and effort to get passed. Criminal justice reform came later and was a bipartisan effort. I can think of no other major legislation passed in Trump’s four years.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I can think of two major things he tried and failed to get passed. Money for the wall, and repeal of Obamacare. Apart from those and the stuff Bubba mentions, he didn't really try to get much else through Congress. He was terrible at working with Congress even when his party had the majority. He much preferred executive orders because he could issue them unilaterally. I would credit McConnel much more than Trump for the legislation passed during his term in office.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:43
asher2789 wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 21:35

Stay angry my friend.
The only significant piece of legislation that Trump got was the tax bill in his first year, and that took quite some time and effort to get passed. Criminal justice reform came later and was a bipartisan effort. I can think of no other major legislation passed in Trump’s four years.
I'd add CARES Act, which initially drove Warp Speed, but this was also bipartisan.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

More revisionist history.

Trump was being blocked from the starting gate. Even Comey's FBI was after him on Day 1 on a baseless dossier from a political rival, and that sucked up huge resources in the White House, the press, and political infighting. The "Resist" movement formed. He never had a functional majority as a handful of anti Trump senators voted any legislation down. Paul Ryan was not an effective leader of the caucus, and was not a Trump supporter. Ryan had no healthcare plan to implement once in power. McCain famously tanked Obamacare reform, indeed McCain never voted in favor of anything of Trump's. Was a lot of that Trump's own fault? Of course. Was McCain already a RINO? Of course. After the first 2 years of infighting, there was no Republican majority in the house. There was never a period of "Get anything he wants".

In my view, one of Trump's major accomplishments was getting eyeballs on China; on the trade imbalance, theft of IP, and their emerging military build up, and over reliance in a China supply chain.

Did Trump make mistakes? Of course.

You may now return to revisionist Trump bashing on much less consequential matters.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Oof, if you count China as one of Trump's successes, that's a wildly pro-Trump view. His China policy accomplished next to nothing in terms of tangible results. No trade agreements, no real concessions, and not even a significant change in the amount of business U.S. companies do with China. In any event, the discussion was about his legislative achievements during his first two years, of which there were few. He brought forth no major legislation relative to China, and instead relied on an old law that allowed him to unilaterally impose tariffs.

As to the RINO debate, I'd argue Trump was more RINO than McCain as McCain's ideas and policies were much closer to the actual pre-Trump Republican platform than Trump's policies ever were.

The truth is Trump created his own problems with Congress. He was so cantankerous and unable to work with others that it's no surprise that he could not work with Congress even with his party in power to achieve much legislatively.

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 25th, '21, 12:37 Oof, if you count China as one of Trump's successes, that's a wildly pro-Trump view. His China policy accomplished next to nothing in terms of tangible results. No trade agreements, no real concessions, and not even a significant change in the amount of business U.S. companies do with China. In any event, the discussion was about his legislative achievements during his first two years, of which there were few.
I said it got eyeballs. You just overflow at times.

PS, Washington moves slowly, always has.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Eyeballs? That's about as useful as posting thoughts and prayers on facebook. Don't results matter?

Btw, there were already plenty of eyeballs on China. For example, Obama was working on a treaty that included dealing with IP issues. What Trump did is try to demonize them to drum up support against an outside enemy. It worked.